Honkin' On Bobo review by Aerosmith

• Released: Mar 30, 2004
Aerosmith: Honkin' On Bobo

The sound is there and the music isn't that bad I don't guess. It is a covers blues album so it is a little direct for the common Aerosmith fan. I think the sound is great and creative on the style. It's basically fast paced blues rock/jam songs. They're fun to hear in general.

Lyrically, there's not much to say. None of the lyrics were written by the band because they were all covers of old blues tunes. However the lyrics on the albumare amazing. The way the lyrics mesh with Joe's guitar play and Joey's hard rock drumming are superb. I especially like the lyrics on Roadrunner and Baby Please Don't Go. Steve Tyler still shows he can rock, and becauseof his timeless wails and cackles I think Aerosmith music and lyrics will continue to be considered as classic for generations to come.

They can still be tasteless and ridiculous, whether in Steven Tyler's vocal affectations or in the band's oversized riffs, but again, that's the nature of the band, no other band does sleaze better. When they do it well, it can be irresistible rock & roll, and it's been a long, long time since they've sounded as good as they do here. Despite that awful title, Honkin' On Bobo is a real surprise and a real return to form for Aerosmith. It could be easy to find out a weak side of the album though. One would think an Aerosmith blues album would be a raw affair, with Joe and the rest of the band finally being allowed to breathe and just let go. Nope. The problem with this album lands squarely on the over-production and more imporantly on the shoulders of one Steven Tyler. The man just never shuts up. With the exception of a couple of songs (one that he doesn't sing on at all) it's "The Steven's Show" from start to finish. The band never really gets to open up and just jam. It's a blues album for Christ's sake!

AC/DC10
    this album is sweet and they wrote "the grind" so your reviews are wrong
    J-Smack
    AC/DC10 is right. The Grind is Aerosmith's song. Get your facts right if you are going to do a review
    aig91
    I love this album. Bought it a few months ago, haven't been able to put it down since.