Just Push Play review by Aerosmith

• Released: Mar 6, 2001
Aerosmith: Just Push Play

This album is probably "hailed" as the worst Aerosmith album ever recorded. Well, there are some pretty bad ballads on here to be honest, but the rest are modern rock tracks that pretty decent. The sound is very different from the typical Aerosmith sound, but I think Aerosmith's ability to be dynamic is what makes them so great. There are a lot of electronically created effects in the music, and even the guitars sound a little different, but the solos are superb and there are some very cool riffs, especially in "Beyond Beautiful" and "Under My Skin". The title track "Just Push Play" is also one of my personal favorites, even if it doesn't make much sense. However, half of the album is ballads (which reek of Steven Tyler and his sellout tendencies), and they really aren't that good. "Jaded" is usually praised but I just don't see anything great about it.

There really isn't much needed to be said about Steven Tyler. He still sounds great even though this album was recorded 30 odd years after Aerosmith's formation. His voice hasn't aged much since "Pump", and I think Steven is the one who stands out the most on this album. The lyrics are sketchy though. I'm not sure how this escaped "Parental Advisory" because a certain four letter word can be heard a handful of times within the first two songs, and it really doesn't fit the music because the subjects of the songs seem pretty mild. The lyrics in the title track just don't make sense, even if they flow well. Unfortunately, every track has writing "help" from at least one outside songwriter, which I think Aerosmith needs to stay away from. They are better off on their own.

This album is the most unique in sound compared to every other Aerosmith album. Simply put, nothing else sounds like it. A lot of people criticize Aerosmith for changing their music too much, but at the same time a lot of people criticize AC/DC for not changing. I would say even though this album isn't amazing, it is different for Aerosmith, and constantly changing is one of their strengths. I'm always warming up more to the modern rock tracks, but the five ballads have literally put me to sleep before. The strongest tracks are "Beyond Beautiful", "Just Push Play", "Under My Skin", and "Drop Dead Gorgeous". If you like Aerosmith, it's not that bad of a buy, because you can get it for $5.00 USD new. And that's probably what it's worth. However, if you're expecting classic Aerosmith album you will be extremely disappointed. I think the album deserves a chance, so if you're hesitant about being open to it... well... just push play, and let the music do the talking.

YouTube preview picture