Night In The Ruts review by Aerosmith

• Released: Jan 1, 1979
Aerosmith: Night In The Ruts

The sound on this is definetely an improvement from Draw The Line. Aerosmith gets back to their roots with a good blues song, too (Reefer Headed Woman). Joe Perry left the band for a while at this time, so some of the songs do not have him playing guitar, but Jimmy Crespo instead. If you get over Joe Perry not being in two or three songs, this album is great, and is very unrecognized.

Steven has some good lyrics here, not amazing, but good. The way he sings them makes them catchy. About midway through the album, he got his song-writing abilities back, so there are some good, and some, well, not so good. Steven sings in a bluesy tune to a few songs, and rocks on others. He sounds great on both.

Night In the Ruts is definetely not a bad album. It doesn't have any big hits, but a few songs catch my ear. Such songs are "(Remember) Walking In the Sand," for it's nice flow, "Three Mile Smile," for it's catchy riff any drum breaks, "Reefer Headed Woman," for Joe Perry's awesome effects for his guitar solo, and "Bone to Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy," for it's neat riff. I love this album very much. The only thing the bugs me is that the band was going through hard times when it was made, so the music wasn't very felt, although you can't really tell. Other than that, this is a good buy for a new or old fan.

mysterytrain
    aerorocker101
    mysterytrain wrote: For many Aerosmith fans, Night In The Ruts was a disappointment compared to prior Aerosmith albums. The producer nor the band put their all into this effort.
    I wouldnt say its a real dissapointment!! They put more effort into it than done with mirrors and that album just sucks!!! I do truly love this album