Permanent Vacation review by Aerosmith

• Released: Jan 1, 2009
Aerosmith: Permanent Vacation

While Done With Mirrors was a weak attempt at a comeback for Aerosmith, they prevailed here. While the album produced many hits, tha album's non-single tracks are commonly overlooked and shouldn't be. The Toxic Twins are surprisingly intact after years of drug use, because Joe's guitar and Steven's singing are as great as ever. Joe's right-hand man, Brad Whitford is still a great guitarist as Joey is a drummer. The bass is very good on this album, and may be Tom's best. This album also uses great horn sections and other sound effects in innovative and great ways. A Beatles cover, I'm Down, just adds to the power of this album.

This album was the comeback for Aerosmith because of the lyrics. Dude (Looks Like A Lady) is very well written as well as Hangman Jury, Heart's Done Time, and Rag Doll. Steven's voice showed no lack from over time, even after his painful drug addictions. This is only behind Rocks, Toys In The Attic, and Pump with lyrics.

While this album was great, it showed a new Aerosmith. If you love the older Aero-albums, give this one a try, then move on to the other 2 "comback classics". Another quirk is The Movie, the final instrumental track, it shows their musical talent in a whole new way. Joe Perry recently did a mostly instrumental album that you should get if you like this. This is truly their comeback.

tobiasosir
    I loved this album; it was noe of the first of Aesrosmith's I listened to. Lots of great work here, and a hint of a blusey soiund (Hangman Jury, I'm Down) that I hadn't heard in them before. I'll have to check out Perry's new one!
    perryproject
    All their albums are great, this one was special because they made it right after they got out of rehab and they made a great comeback. Aerosmith owns the music business, Party on.