Pump review by Aerosmith

• Released: Sep 12, 1989
Aerosmith: Pump

The sound on this album was ubleleivable. When I first put it in the player, I had to turn down the bass booster because everything was rocking so hard. I mean, this album is truly a wall of sound, from beggining to end. As for the music, it is solid Aerosmith. It took them 15 years (give or take) to boil their sound down to this album and it was their peak. With all the bluesy bass lines, the raw, grungy dueling guitars and solid drums, everything about the music say's "Aerosmith". And of course, Steven's voice is just the icing on the cake, blasting everything else out of the way, demanding your attention. And you can't forget the sound effects on Janie's got a gun, and the erotic intro to Love in an Elevator. All of these just add flavour to the whole album. A pleasurable experience for anyone's ears.

Lyrically, the whole album is toungue in cheek. I mean, the album starts with "Young Lust", talking about doing it in the sunshine, while hanging from a cloth's line, and then finding another tree to climb. You can't get much dirtier than that. But that's what makes it good. Innuendo's are fun, and Steven Tyler know's this and milks it for all that it's worth. Obviously there are the deeper songs, like monkey on my back, and Janie's got a gun, but even then, he simplifies things back to where they started. Sex. It makes everything just a little bit easier to handle, creating a perfect balance between serious and not. If it had been any other way, the whole album probably would have been a turn off.

To me, this album was the greatest ever recorded. I have owned it for a few years now, and I've listened to it at least once a day every day (that's over 1000 times) and haven't got bored of it yet. The only reason that the thing is so cheap is that you can get every song on it on one of their greatest hit's albums. It's definitly worth the 10 bucks.

mysterytrain
    Ever notice how each Aerosmith album sound like such a departure form the others? I mean they all have that predictable boogie woogie, but clearly you hear the injection of the different personalities from outside the band on each album. Songwriters, arrangers, producers and sometimes even outside, albeit unnamed, guitarists all lend their signature. Like many pop bands, these guys don't write all their own stuff. Yeah! I know. Duh!