Rocks review by Aerosmith

• Released: Jan 1, 1976
Aerosmith: Rocks

Rocks is the definition of a "solid album." Its sound is very heavy for it's era, and it is the first experimental album for Aerosmith. Along with hard rock, it contains a few songs from the genre of "funk," which gives the album the "kick" it needs. This album, along with Toys In the Attic, allows you to hear how much fun the band had playing it. Aerosmith said this themselves. Rocks definetely does lack it's share of riffs; this is basically a riff-based album. You have the heavy "Back In the Saddle," the funky "Last Child," the jazzy "Get the Lead Out," and a whole lot more. There may are only threesongs out of the eight that do not have main riffs. This album also contains the first song that only Joe Perry got writing credit for.

The lyrics on this album are excellent. They all go together, and they all impress. Even Joe Perry sings lead on "Combination." This is the first album where Steven finds his inner scream and wails throughout the whole album. Just listen to "Back In the Saddle" and you'll know what I mean. Speaking of which, for "Back In the Saddle," Steven's mike was pulled far away from him so he could blast as loud as he needed to without overpowering the band. The lyrics are great, flow together, have meaning, and are enhanced by Steven's screaming, I mean singing.

Ask any true Aerosmith fan what their favorite Aerosmith album is and most will say "Rocks." It is not my personal favorite, but I guess it would more than half of Aerosmith's fan base verses me on that, so I won't even go there. After you've bought Toys In the Attic, make sure to go out of your way to find Rocks. I haven't seen it anywhere besides in the Box of Fire, but I'm sure you can order it. Make sure you listen to "Back In the Saddle," "Last Child," and "Get the Lead Out." They are all personal favorites of mine.

Deathrow_Saints
    ya only 1 review sux, but that shawn garr dude is right this is the album that made slash pick up a guitar.
    pawnshopguitars
    For me, (as a massive 'Smith fan), it's ether rocks or toys in the attic that are my favourite albums. BUT I think this one tips it if you look at the album as a whole; its just toys has sweet emotion, walk this way and no more, No more. And yeah, this album basically made Slash. It was playing when I went to see Velvet Revolver