All Hallows review by AFI

• Released: Oct 5, 1999
AFI: All Hallows

Afi is one of my favorite bands. They've always had a unique sound that I could never stop listening to. The sound on this album is very hardcore/punk. You can see the new direction they're going in because of the line up change (adding Hunter Bergan on bass and Jade Puget on guitar). This new line up is responsible for brining us albums such as Black Sails In The Sunset, The Art Of Drowning, and Sing The Sorrow. The album starts off with the song "Fall Children" which has a chilling intro - a very slow clean lick that becomes distorted later and then dives into the verse, filled with pick slides, and plenty of crunch from Jade's Les Paul. The second song is a cover of The Misfits classic "Halloween", which is an awesome song. Afi does it respect. The third track is "The Boy Who Destroyed The World", one of my personal favorites (on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which is were I heard it for the first time). The final song is Totalimmortal, which is to say the least, bitchin'.

The lyrics on the songs are typical Davey Havok lyrics - full of agression, screaming, all that good stuff. He always writes some pretty crazy stuff, and this is no different. "The Boy Who Destroyed The World" is an amazing anthem about being ostracized, and even after everyone tries to console you, it's too late. Totalimmortal is an amazing song too.

It lives up to the expectations of a typical Afi album - it totally kicks ass (in my opinion). My favorite songs are pretty much the whole album - it's only four tracks, so it's kinda hard to pick one when they're all really good, but if I had to, it'd be a tie between "Fall Children" and "The Boy Who Destroyed The World". I love this album because right now its 10/26/04, and I've been listening to this cd all week, since Halloween is only 5 days away. If it were lost or stolen, I'd go buy a new one - it was only like $6-$8, so not a huge loss. Go buy it.