All Hallows [EP] Review

9.7
 9.3
reviews (6) 1 comment vote for this album:
All Hallows [EP] Reviewed by: SLIP(SIC)KNOT, on march 22, 2006

Sound: I love AFI, and this album is a great example of classic AFI. It's got the great bass parts in the backround with the distorted guitar, heavy drums, and aggressive vocals. I love this EP probly more than any other EP that they've released. I don't know what it is about it, but this EP just really stood out to me. It starts off with "Fall Children" with a calm electric guitar riff that quickly erupts into a full-blown crazy song that AFI is so well known for, there are a bunch of whoa's and some really noteable bass riffs. Davey does good on this one. despite the velocity and aggressiveness of the song, he always mananges to keep a good melodic tone. Next is "Halloween" which opens on an interesting off tune chord and right on cue, davey comes in. This song is a lot less fast-paced than "Fall Children," but is still a good speed. Next is "The Boy Who Destroyed The World" this song is alright. It has a good blend of guitar, bass, and drums. The vocals are pretty good. I think the vocals are just a bit too classic AFI. One of the things this album did for me was demonstrate AFI's true style, but incorporate some original vocals. This song didn't do that for me, the guitar/bass/drum break in the middle of the song is really cool to me. Finally is "Totalimmortal." My fav. song on this EP. It has probably the coolest bass part yet. I think that all the parts kind of come together perfectly in this song. Everything in this song deserves some recognition. It just is all perfet. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. They all go along with the general theme of the EP, which is always a good thing, like I said bfore, the only thing that sorta dissapointed me were the vocals on "The Boy Who Destroyed The World." Everything else gets 5/5. And like I said before, I liked the lyrics, guitar, bass, and drums on The Boy Who Destroyed The World. I just don't really like the way its put together. The lyrics on this album are really good. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is AFI's best EP by far. I love everything about it. I think every song on it is memorable. If this were stolen, I would definately buy another. I think that this is comparable to The Art Of Drowning. I love everything. they are all great songs. the bass parts on this album are just phenomenal. I love them. the guitar parts are pretty interesting too. Totalimmortal is my favorite song on this album, but not by much. all the songs are great. // 10

All Hallows [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Sound: This was their second attempt with the new lineup and boy does it sound awesome! Jade's guitar parts on Halloween and Fall Children are incredible. I still get goosebumps when Fall Children starts. This was their peak, as many of you know. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are, once again, incredibly masterful. They show Davey's transition from pathetic, teenage rantings to the poetic and more mature writings of an adult. Davey's voice, it seems to me, will get better as time passes. Although Sing The Sorrow was a high point for them in terms of popularity and sales, this was the formula they should've stuck to since we know it was their greatest. // 10

Overall Impression: This EP was definitely of higher rank than their old hardcore punk days (Answer That And..., Very Proud of Ya, and the AFI EP). In terms of everything I'd undoubtedly buy this again if it were stolen. This was, and always will be, their masterpiece (Along with The Art Of Drowning). // 10

All Hallows [EP] Reviewed by: punksnafu, on april 14, 2004

Sound: This is definitely one of AFI's best contributions to the punk/east bay scene. Although it's only an even "lucky 13" (ha - fits with the Halloween-ish theme) minutes long and 4 tracks, the EP is set up much like AFI's other EP's - instead of 4 random tracks to sell seperately, they are four unbelievable tracks that equal to a full album by any other band. The tracks are exellently selected, including 4 of AFI's most popular songs - the concert-starter "Fall Children", after some halloweenish music goes into "Halloween" - an even better rendition of the Misfits classic. Then into "The Boy Who Destroyed The World", definitely another memorable track, also on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Sountrack. Then ending in "Totalimmortal" - the classic concert-ender. It includes Misfits cover of "Halloween." // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics match any given AFI lyric - amazingly well-written. All lyrics fit the halloween theme, and fit excellent with the band's sound and overall style. Singer skills are obvious - it's punk's own Davey Havok...skills aren't even a question here. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is definitely a must-have for any AFI fan's cd collection, even if it is burned. I went out and bought it personally, cuz' I got it at the meet-n-greet so I could get it signed :) So if it were stolen, I'd probably hunt down and do things to whoever took it. Definitely a classic punk/whatever style album, and definitely an album for any music listener in general. // 10

All Hallows [EP] Reviewed by: punkgtrst096, on october 27, 2004

Sound: Afi is one of my favorite bands. They've always had a unique sound that I could never stop listening to. The sound on this album is very hardcore/punk. You can see the new direction they're going in because of the line up change (adding Hunter Bergan on bass and Jade Puget on guitar). This new line up is responsible for brining us albums such as Black Sails In The Sunset, The Art Of Drowning, and Sing The Sorrow. The album starts off with the song "Fall Children" which has a chilling intro - a very slow clean lick that becomes distorted later and then dives into the verse, filled with pick slides, and plenty of crunch from Jade's Les Paul. The second song is a cover of The Misfits classic "Halloween", which is an awesome song. Afi does it respect. The third track is "The Boy Who Destroyed The World", one of my personal favorites (on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which is were I heard it for the first time). The final song is Totalimmortal, which is to say the least, bitchin'. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the songs are typical Davey Havok lyrics - full of agression, screaming, all that good stuff. He always writes some pretty crazy stuff, and this is no different. "The Boy Who Destroyed The World" is an amazing anthem about being ostracized, and even after everyone tries to console you, it's too late. Totalimmortal is an amazing song too. // 10

Overall Impression: It lives up to the expectations of a typical Afi album - it totally kicks ass (in my opinion). My favorite songs are pretty much the whole album - it's only four tracks, so it's kinda hard to pick one when they're all really good, but if I had to, it'd be a tie between "Fall Children" and "The Boy Who Destroyed The World". I love this album because right now its 10/26/04, and I've been listening to this cd all week, since Halloween is only 5 days away. If it were lost or stolen, I'd go buy a new one - it was only like $6-$8, so not a huge loss. Go buy it. // 10

All Hallows [EP] Reviewed by: Royal_Guitarist, on june 23, 2006

Sound: The sound is really nice actually, the pianos and the horror disted guitars make this "Halloween" disc great! Davey's voice and the Halloween cover by "The Misfits" with "Glenn Danzig" really made a cool match when it comes to horrormusic. The horrorhouse in the end of the song that is playing in like half the song after the end is pretty boring, though. The drums are great, Adam is a excellent rock music drummer, it's fast and hard! Jade's great AFI distortion sound is excellent when making horror songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent, which is a new comfort that is coming with the modern AFI since the Black Sails album. Havok screams alot, which is nice, but when it comes to this "growling" it gets ridiculous, perhaps I'm the only one who thinks so. "Glenn Danzig"'s lyrics is still awesome on the "Halloween" song, as always! Davey made a good work singing this out. The lyrics to Fall Children are my favourite for the moment. Cold and mysterious, the way I love it. // 6

Overall Impression: "The boy who destroyed the world", the song who made me love this band, is still a great song in my ears. It's heavy and it makes me wanna scream. A song that will never die. On "Fall Children" there is some great riffs mixed with a hilarious text! It's an impressive song! The "Totalimmortal" song is also a heavy, powerful and musical striking song. Great riffs and great text! The Totalimmortal text is also great. Nothing bad about it actually. The boy who destroyed the world is also a great text! I recognize the songtext from some movie, dont remember which one. Hope this interview helped you out. If somebody would steal my album, I've got it on the computer already, no problem. Should get a little mad, no problem. Maybe I'd get myself a new copy. // 9

All Hallows [EP] Reviewed by: bassplayer18A7X, on december 09, 2008

Sound: This CD or EP is very good, considering there are only four songs on the CD. This gives people a feel of what AFI sounded like back when they were Hardcore Punk. I think that this is a very good CD and I enjoy it very much. All of the songs are good. The songs are Fall Children, Halloween(which is a misfits cover), The Boy Who Destroyed the World, and Totalimmortal. All of these song are very good, and Show the talent of everyone in the band, which great vocals, strong bass lines, amazing drum fills, and incredible guitar riffs. Here is what I think of these songs. 01.Fall Children: 9/10 Really good song, Very fast paced, good vocals. 02.Halloween: 9.5/10 Very good cover, Vocals stand out most in this song although the bassline is very good also, a creepy ending to the song which lasts for about 2 mins. 03.The Boy Who Destroyed the World: 10/10 my favorite song on the CD, and one of my Favorite AFI songs also, Strong Bassline, Great Drum Fills, Amazing Vocals, and Good Guitar riffs. 04.Totalimmortal: 9/10 Good song, Bass stands out most in the song, at least in my opinion, Vocals are good, but not great, drumming is solid, but nothing special on guitar. // 9

Lyrics: I think that all of the lyrics on this CD are really good, and they definitly go good with the style of music that they are playing. I believe that the skills of the singer are very good on this CD, Davey Havok can go from screaming to an amazing melody. I think that he is a very good singer, and preformed very well while they were making this CD. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this is a very good CD, and it is one of AFI's best CD's, but the only think I would change about it is that it isnt that long. The most impressive songs on the album are The Boy who Destroyed the world, and Halloween. The things I like best on this CD are the drum fills, bass lines, and vocals, I don't really hate anything about it, except that I would want it to be longer. If this CD were lost or stolen I would buy it again. // 10

Comments