Answer That And Stay Fashionable review by AFI

• Released: Apr 22, 1997
  • Reviewer's score: 2.7 Junky
AFI: Answer That And Stay Fashionable

This is AFI's first album, and the sound of it is mostly limited to the gut-churning sounds of shredding power chords played by a strat on its bridge pickup. The guitar parts on this album actually gave me an upset stomach. The guitarist who plays on their newer albums, Jade Puget, isn't present to lend this album his dark-edged haunting guitar playing. the bassist, however, is clearly skilled and innovative on this album, and the bass lines are always the most pleasurable things to listen to.

Today, singer and lyricist Davey Havok is a poet. On this album, however, he was immature and a bit unskilled. There are songs on this album about breakfast cereal AND why jocks are stupid and should die. On the aforementioned breakfast cereal track, he makes this remark about a make-believe cereal called "erotic chocolates": "It's got a condom in the box." Come on, man, grow up. Also, he has yet to find the eerie high-pitched squeal that he has refined so well on their newer releases. Instead, he mostly just screams, which I suppose fits the speed-punk of the rest of the album.

One of the guiding questions for writing this section is, "If it were stolen/losted, would you buy it again or get something else?" That is irrelevant, because, after a few listens, I decided to give it to my friend for his birthday. Frankly, unless you have some special purpose of buying this record, its not worth spending any money on. I am not much of a fan of any AFI record, but this one is positively their worst.