Answer That And Stay Fashionable review by AFI

• Released: Apr 22, 1997
AFI: Answer That And Stay Fashionable

What in the world happened to you guys? You were so good! Back in the day, when they still had their skate punk sound, AFI created Answer That and Stay Fashionable. Although, the first album I ever heard of theirs was Sing the Sorrow, I can now officially say that this one tops it. Why? Because it is good old-fashioned skate punk. It's not all that creative, nor is it varying, but when you just want hop on your board and go, it gets the job done. No gimmicks, just some straight out hardcore/skate punk, which is my personal preference. It works for them.

Although in some cases dealing with wanting mohawks and cereal, it is still your typical, poetic AFI lyrics. Davey has always been poetic, and you can tell it on this album. The topics on it vary from high school football heroes, cereal, staying in bed, and just plain angst. As for Davey's singing skills, there are few. He tends to scream a lot, in this album (which is normal for the genre) rather than sing. But, it does go well with the style of music that they played at the time.

This album only helps to show what a drastic change this band has gone through: from punk to not. I don't really know how to describe them now. Maturity and change is welcome in bands, but it is also nice to hear who they were before that change. I love this album for its hardcore edge and its angsty feel--and on occasion, comic aspect (i.e. "Cereal Wars" and "I Wanna Get A Mohawk") which is rather lacking on their later albums. This album should be known for that at least. If this album were stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy it again, or even steal it if I had to. It's just good.

add666
    whats the big deal with screaming? This is when they were a real hardcore punk band instead of the faded wannabes of today
    GumbyEater
    i love how "playing artistically creative music" equates to "selling out" to punks =P
    ratmblink123
    no screaming. you're retarded. this album kicks as s. I wish they were still like this.
    ratmblink123
    Jade is a master guitarist. Punk guitarist or not who is one of the top five ever. Hunter great bassist. um. there was a different guitarist and bassist on this album and all albums up until Black Sails