Black Sails In The Sunset review by AFI

• Released: May 18, 1999
AFI: Black Sails In The Sunset

Overall this album is my favourite, not by much though as they have some other great albums that I own. This was the third album that I picked up from AFI(First was The Art of Drowning) and the general sound in general I found very appealing and was their best piece of work that I've heard. They have a great range from the chanting introduction: Strength Through Wounding and the fast past punk songs such as "At A Glance", "Porphyria" and "Narrative of Soul Against Soul" to the melancholic slow songs such as: "Clove Smoke Catharis" and my favourite "God Called in Sick Today"

Davey, like every other AFI album, sings perfectly fitting with the music, the lyrics and the entire album in general. His lyrics are excellent, although I don't find that they are as good as some of his other works that have appeared upon 'The Art of Drowning' and 'Sing the Sorrow'. The lyrics range slightly over the course of the album but tend to maintain the same feel and style keeping it consistent.

Great album altogether, every AFI fan should pick up this album. Whether you like their newer releases or their older releases this album is for you. Favourite songs: The Last Kiss, At A Glance, God Called in Sick Today, Porphyria and Midnight Sun (Hidden Track, roughly 10 minutes into God Called in Sick Today).