Black Sails In The Sunset review by AFI

• Released: May 18, 1999
AFI: Black Sails In The Sunset

Being one of AFI's 'new style' CDs, they began to lose their punk style here, and picked up on deeper, better sounds. This CD also marked the era of AFI getting their new guitarist Jade, who completely revolutionized AFI's sound. This one is a lot different from the previous album "Shut your mouth and open your eyes," but you can still tell it's AFI. The songs are extrodinarily origional, even though they seldomly rhyme, but you'll hardly notice. I would be lieing if I said none of the songs sound the same, because a couple of them do sound quite similar, but it also has two of AFI's best songs "God Called In Sick Today," and "The Prayer Position" which both are so unique, and much different than AFI's other songs.

The lyrics are amazing. If you know AFI, you know that Davey Havok is a brilliant writer. Though they only rhyme some times, the lyrics are very poetic and brought a new life to AFI's music. The lyrics go very well with newfound guitarist Jade's style of playing. Havok also began to sing very well on this CD, not to say he wasn't good on the previous releases, but he was really good on this one.

Though Black Sails is a great album, it would be a better choice to pick up "The Art Of Drowning" before this one, assuming you have only heard sing the sorrow, because this one is way different from it, and the art of drowning kindof blends the two together rather well. If you do decide to buy this CD, I would reccomend "Narrative Of Soul Against Soul," "Malleus Malifecarum," "The Prayer Position" and "God called In Sick Today." Those are my favorites, and the prayer position is one of my favorite AFI tracks I've heard. The best thing about this CD is how better they got over the small break between "shut your mouth" and this. Old AFI fans might not have liked the change much, because they didn't do so much punk in this one, but new AFI fans will love it. It's definately worth buying, but it doen't stack up to All Hallows, Sing The Sorow, or The Art Of Drowning.