Black Sails In The Sunset review by AFI

• Released: May 18, 1999
AFI: Black Sails In The Sunset

When I heard "Black Sails In The Sunset" my first impression was'nt very good, but after everytime I've heard it I just love it more. The first 6 numbers are quite good, the last 6 are fantastic. more basicly the music is hardcore punk. Davey Havoc's light voice is a contrast to Jades guitar that is quite heavy with a lot of barre and powerchords. That combined with the drums that is after my oppinion the best drums they've have composed, I'm quite a noob for bass, but it sounds great.

As always davey havoc's lyrics is very complicated, and hard to understand, but that's not negative, it just means you have to listen harder to get the point in the lyrics. The lyrics and the music fits perfectly together on this album and it is clear that they have focussed alot on that. The lyrics are on "Black Sails In The Sunset" without doubt the most important thing, compared to "Sing The Sorrow" where the guitar have more influence. Davey Havoc is a fantastic singer and lyric writer, he have a light voice, and he is cleary a very skilled singer.

It's hard to pick out few numbers that is better than the others, becouse the album is so complete, I cant pick out things I would say they could have done better, but the songs that maybe have a little more energy than the others is "Malleus Maleficarum," "The Prayer Position" and "God Called In Sick Today."

ss311
    It's my favourite in terms of lyrics I think. Either this or sing the sorrow.