Black Sails In The Sunset review by AFI

• Released: May 18, 1999
AFI: Black Sails In The Sunset

The sound on this album is somehow different to the earlier albums Very Proud of Ya! and Answer That and Stay Fashionable. This because of that AFI changed their lineup when making this album. They are playing in almost the same tempo, a little bit more focused and less thrashy guitars and Davey Havok is taking higher tones in his singing, still using his loud punk voice. The drums are playing fast and tight, still surprising me how good Adam plays the percs. I like the introduction of the CD, first playing Strength Through Wounding track and immediately changing to the fast and loud song Porphyria Cutanea Tarda. Really impressive.

The lyrics are really good. I like them alot, they're really fun to sing along to. They match the music perfectly and gives a deep and somehow religious meaning to the songs. For an example, "Through our bleeding, we are one" on the Strength Through Wounding track which I personally thinks is relative to the meaning that we are all a part of the same world, and that we through all accidents or depressions we will not lose each other as friends. We stick together and help each other as a team through it all.

This album is a sign of maturity from AFI. If you compare this CD to the earlier material, listen to it and you will know what I mean! The most impressive songs from this CD is definitely Strength Through Wounding, a wonderful intro song, Porphyria, Prayer Position, The Last Kiss and God Called in Sick Today. I love their new sound, the intro of the CD and the ending of it with God Called In Sick Today, I love the enhanced guitar sound, Davey's new singing style and everything. I hate that I don't get the name of the CD, why is it really called Black Sails in The Sunset?