decemberunderground review by AFI

• Released: May 29, 2006
AFI: decemberunderground

Well. First off I heard the advanced copy through the net and it makes me want to purchase this CD even more. I love AFI. I have had high hopes for this album for the past year and it does not disappoint. The sound is AFI but more mature. There is everything from the slow afi to the fast paced AFI to the even newer, screaming AFI. Davey screams his lungs off on a handful of songs on this CD and he does it damn well. 01. Prelude 12/21 - a great way to open the album. One of my favorite intros of there past albums. The melody is just so damn catchy. 02. Kill Caustic - the album opens with this fast paced song. This is one of the screaming ones. Daveys screams have matured since STS and you can tell it on this song. Pretty sweet bridge riff. 03. Miss Murder - first single. Catchy as hell. You've probably all heard it so I won't say too much about it. 04. Summer Shudder - this song is really badass. It starts off with crunching guitars then busts into an extremely catchy chorus that makes you want to sing along with it all fucken day. 05. The Interview - one of the slower songs on the CD. Has a really catchy bass riff in the verse. Really beautiful song actually. 06. Love Like Winter - honestly, I can't stop bobbing my head to this song. It sounds like a song you would hear back in an old '80s movie or something. Extremely catchy. One of my favorites. Different for AFI. 07. Affliction - another hard song with davey screaming. I really love his screams in this CD. Good guitar riff to lead into the chorus. The bridge in this song is amazing. If not for that I would have given this a nine. 08. The Missing Frame - really catchy opening riff. I like Davey's voice in the verse. The chorus is really melodic and nice. 09. Kiss And Control - second favorite song on the CD. Starts off with a cool intro. I really love this song. The verse is really remeniscent of STS AFI, nice and melodic. Then the chorus comes in and kicks your ass. Probably my favorite chorus on the album. Also has Davey speaking words in the bridge, actually a little different for AFI. Guitar riff in the bridge is awesome as well. 10. The Killing Light - I like the opening guitar riff a lot. The chorus is really catchy and reminds me of older rock songs. Quite a good song. 11. 37mm - very different for AFI. Very electronic. But good nonetheless. I appreciate the verse more than the chorus. The chorus is nothing special. Ends pretty badass. 12. Endlessly, She Said - favorite song on the CD. Such an amazing song in every possible way. Has an awesome riff throughout the song and an amazing riff in the bridge. Davey's voice goes through three different levels of range in this including screams. Amazing, simply put. If youre an AFI fan, then your ass better be at your local record store on the 6th of June. Who knows I might see you there.

Daveys lyrics are as always beautiful and deep. So I wont say too much about that. However, he does a lot of things with his voice that I havent heard from AFI in a while. His screaming has gotten a lot better than heard in any earlier afi albums and he does it a lot more. That for me is a plus. People who heard Miss Murder were whining that they didnt like the way Davey's voice had "changed". His voice didn't change, he's just using different vocal techniques in certain songs. There is still classic Davey Havock littered throughout this album. So no worries.

Well, I can't really compare it to other afi albums because in all honesty, Decemberunderground is in a class of its own. It has more of a catchy rock oriented feel to it. Very good album. I can't wait to purchase it and check out the artwork. AFI fans will be very pleased with everything this album has to offer. Songs to checkout via the net are Summer Shudder, Endlessly She Said, Kiss And Control, Affliction, Love Like Winter. But the whole album is amazing.

can_i_say
    meh heard 2 songs off it i dnt really like the screaming 2 b honest they hav better oh n 4 sum reason jst my opinion miss murder reminds me of greenday... not a good thing