decemberunderground review by AFI

• Released: May 29, 2006
AFI: decemberunderground

This album is very diverse. It has more of a poppy sound than any of AFI's earlier release, not a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing. There's some hard rock riffs, and then a bit of '80s pop influence. This album sounds nothing like anything they've ever done, and I really like the direction they decided to take with this album. It's not the best they've done, but it's pretty good.

Davey's lyrics are very nicely written. He writes in such a symbolic way that it's very hard to interpret what he means. I think the lyrics fit really well with the music. Also, Davey's vocals are at best here. Personally, I liked the sound of his vocals on earlier albums better, but his voice sounds very proffesional on this album.

I would say that the average AFI would not say this compares to older albums. I myself don't think it compared to that of Sing The Sorrow, or Art Of Drowning. The album is so different, it's very hard to compare to older albums anyway. The most impressive songs on this album are "Kiss And Control", "Summer Shudder", "Miss Murder", and "Endlessly, She Said". Of course, most, if not all, songs are really good. I love that this album is very diverse and every song has a completely different sound. I don't like the little clip at the end of "Affliction", because it just doesn't fit and sounds very poppy. There's not that much I don't like about the album, except that it just sounds a bit to poppy, but that is what to be expected when a band like AFI signs to a major record label. If this album was stolen, I would most likely buy it again.

critter1388
    swansareroadkil
    critter1388 wrote: i dont like mis murder because i dislike it however i do like pancakes and ben folds
    wow. thats a very descriptive reason for not liking miss murder
    mAFIa1039
    definitely nothing wrong with some screaming. Got to have a balance of it though like silverstein or something. Hail i was thrilled to hear some screaming like in some of their past cds.
    DownbëloW
    Everyone loves Miss Murder. Personally, Miss Murder has the least plays on the album on my iTunes. Great article.
    R.RHOADS IS GOD
    good album but this 1 is very mixed around most albums u can tell if they r any good within the first couple of songs but i had about lost hope in this album and thought that the only really good songs were prelude12/21 and miss murder ,,,.....but then i got 2 track #9 kiss and control and its my favoragte song on the whole album. so make sure listen all they way through all the song also bcuz some of the songs change drastically half way through the song by the way miss murder should of been track 2 im not sure if any of u hav seen the FULL version of miss murder but they have the prelude at the start and have it blend into miss murder as if it was one song and they sounded really awesome 2gether
    ledzepprules09
    R.RHOADS IS GOD wrote: by the way miss murder should of been track 2 im not sure if any of u hav seen the FULL version of miss murder but they have the prelude at the start and have it blend into miss murder as if it was one song and they sounded really awesome 2gether
    I've seen it and I must agree that Miss Murder should have been track two. But it doesn't matter what I think because I'm not in AFI so I can't have changed it.Oh. Well. The album still kicks ass.
    Junesongtrigger
    Every band is influenced by other bands, so that's a very weak argument. Personally I think this album is perfect, it's beautiful. Agreed, I am a fan, but there's obviously a reason I am a fan. They're amazing. And if there is one influence, it's The Cure. Listen to The Killing Lights. I thought it kinda sounded like The Cure with a HIM-ish feeling. Minus that kick ass guitar "solo" riff thing. I love it.
    Dallen_007
    i havent had the chance to check out the new cd, yet im going to as soon as possible, but i really love afi and cant wait to hear it. Oh Physh r u retarded, what do u mean the dark age of rock, there were some very good bands back in the day. oh and grindcore f**cking sucks