decemberunderground review by AFI

• Released: May 29, 2006
AFI: decemberunderground

As you all know, Afi has been building up to this album for some time now. Many have waited for 3 years for this album and for some unusual reason, old Afi fans dont like it very much. A new sound it may have, but it is still the same Afi. I can't just sum up the whole CDs sound with one paragraph so I'll go through each individual song. 01. Prelude 12/21 - the first time I heard this song, I felt betreyed by AFI for putting things like this on an album. I thought the AFI I knew and loved had decided to make hip hop music. I was ashamed, but I will admit it was a good begining considering the theme. When I first heard it, I thought a little of a dark christmas day. 02. Kill Caustic - I wasn't so into the sound of this track for a while. I basically didn't even finish listening to it. Luckily, the whole song takes a turn in the right direction at the bridge, ending with a soaring scream. 03. Miss Murder - I love davey havok and I love AFI, but this song really let me down. It's sad that so many AFI fans like them just because they saw thier new video on MTV. You didn't see people rushing to buy the album, "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" when the video for Third Season came out. The song is good, but the fans are not. 04. Summer Shudder - this track is where it really starts to bring out the winter in the track. The whole sound makes me think of a white, cold, and dark day in December. The song itself was not very interesting though. 05. The Interview - this is possibly my favorite track on the album. It has a very unique sound with the bass. The thing that truly captured me about this track though is the slow haulting end. I shiver every time I hear the phrase,"I'll fleed to decemberunderground as you exhail." It is maybe the softest part of the album, but yet the most moving also. 06. Love Like Winter - this song really suprised me with it's sound. It is nothing like a former AFI creation. I didn't really enjoy it's sound. It's very techno and just flat annoying. 07. Afliction - this song has by far too much screaming. That's where it ends. 08. This song was alright near the very begining, until I heard the opening backing vocals. I shreaked. It's just terrible. They definitely could have replaced that song with something good. 09. Kiss And Control - every time I hear the sound of this song, it always makes me think of pure sadness such as on the track from STS, "The Leaving Song Pt. 1". This song is a definite plus to this album and to fans hoping this album would be as good as sing the sorrow. 10. The Killing Lights - I loved the opening to this song. You don't get a very good "Oh!" out of davey very much on this album, so I will admit it was nice to hear. The bass line was amazing. It went so ingeniously into the song such as a solo guitarist. 11. 37mm - the begining of this song sorta scared me a little bit the first time I heard it, but like all of the tracks, it grew on me the more I heard of it. 12. Endlessly, She Said - this is a track all AFI fans should love. No AFI album is complete without a beautiful yet devistating ending. The whole album was worth buying just for this one song. His screams have so much more soul in them, unlike all the others on this album.

The lyrics were very well laid out to the sound. I was much more impressed with the lyrics, but it is nothing like sing the sorrow lyrics. Sing the Sorrow was much darker. Even just compairing the videos for Girls not Grey and Miss Murder, you wonder if it's even the same band. Davey Havok really spanned the way he uses his voice on this album. Hopefully if they put out another album, he'll have had a lot of experience from this album hopefully making the next on exceed Sing the Sorrow and this cd as well.

I think AFI is heading in a new direction from thier old albums. They are very much so different. People say things like,"Sing the sorrow was so much better than this", or,"I hate this and sing the sorrow. Lets go listen to "Very Proud Of Ya". What people aren't excepting is that AFI isn't trying to impress anyone. They are expressing themselves. I support that fact. The best songs on this album are definitely The Interview and Endlessly She Said. If someone stole this album from me, first I would go buy it again. Then I would listen to it while hunting down who stole my other copy.