decemberunderground review by AFI

• Released: May 29, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
AFI: decemberunderground

I first heard AFI after STS came out and immediately loved them. I listened to that albumn over and over and bought Decemberunderground the first day it came out. I was disgusted. What happened to them? They've changed so much that and this album is too diverse it feels like they don't even know what kind of music they're playing. It feels so poppy and mainstream. It's not a complete failure it has some good songs but the bad ones outweigh the good ones. I'm not saying they sold out cause that's stupid.I'm saying it feels like they're trying to sound different then everyone else and get on TRL. I'm a hardcore AFI fan but I'll be cautious next time an afi album comes out.

The lyrics are a definite drop down from the quality of STS and even shut your mouth and open your eyes. The lyrics feel totally half assed. I can barely believe out of 70+ songs these were chosen. Davey definetly screams different on this album and it's good but not nearly as good as STS.

This is AFI's worst album to date. It can't stand up to any other album they've made. Sure it's selling great but to me it's not a true Afi album just a very different band with an AFI stamped on it.

U-Mass
    Weight of Words wrote: What's wrong with you all? You call yourself AFI fans? Then why the **** are you all so obsessed with categorising them? AFI themselves despise labelling music, they simply don't think about what scene or genre they are fitting in to. They do what they want to do. Decemberunderground is an amazing album. The lyrics are so wonderfully Davey. From a musical perspective, it's a masterpiece. The band are fans of 80's music (some of which contained the electronic drum beats you're all bitching about), and they are simply incorporating that into their music. Could 37mm be more 80's? And by the way, drum beats of this style were around long before gangsta-twats like 50Cent were on the scene. I love most songs AFI have created. Their old stuff is great to jump around to at shows and stuff, as is some of their new stuff - Affliction is a great song to dance to. Some of their old stuff was musically brilliant - think of the spine-chilling "At a Glance" from Black Sails. AFI are changing, yes - but you can't expect them just to pump out song after song, album after album that sound exactly the same - what'd be the point? AFI are exploring themselves musically, trying new things. It's a part of them - it's not done for you. They make their music, and if you like it, and want to join them for the ride, AFI will adore you for it. If you're just going to complain that each new album doesn't sound like Sing the Sorrow, or that they aren't East Bay Harcore anymore - then Fuck You Very Much. Have A Nice Day. x
    I salute you.
    DownbëloW
    YES! Rock on, you said what needed to be said to all the punks who say AFI sucks. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they suck.
    Neverstop
    the_witch
    I love Decemberunderground. I don't think there was any bad song in it (other than Kill Caustic). But sadly, Jade's riffs are a little disappointing. I was hoping for something more interesting. I like how Hunter played his bass here though. Vocals and lyrics are awesome. I don't think there was anything wrong with Davey. If you ever listened to them, you'll know their music always change. And they definately matured through all these years. My rate 8/10. STS is still the best album by them. If you don't like DU, just chill. At least you know they will never make the same album again.
    DownbëloW
    Neverstop wrote: DownbloW I liked your review of the CD. Have been a fan of AFI for a while...I just wanted you to know though, itunes offers an extra track, that might or might not be released with the actual compact disc. Its an acoustic song, that i can't find any review on. Its called On The Arrow...might this be the hidden track you were looking for. Don't know if you have heard it or not. I did not see it in your review. Just wanted to let you know.
    Actually, I did mention On the Arrow. But after I wrote the review a friend gave me a cd with "Fallen Like the Sky" It's pretty good, but the musical part is much too simple for my liking. So there, all in all DU has 15 songs total.
    KiLLeDHaT
    -Weight of words- **** man you kick ass, while i spent got knows how long reading every bitch ass review, thinking about what i was going to write when i got to the bottom when i came across what you said and thought "damn, exactly what i thought" i salute you too, booyah to A.F.I. DECEMBER UNDERGROUND ROCKS!!!!!