decemberunderground review by AFI

• Released: May 29, 2006
AFI: decemberunderground

Decemberunderground is new sound from AFI but is great. AFI came up with a few interesting ideas in their songs some of these where good but others where just annoying. The first two songs (Prelude 12/21 and Kill Caustic) have a kind of distrotion the whole way through. I find this annoying because it always seems to be just louder than the music. At the start of Love Like Winter, there is a sound like high heel shoes on tiles. This was an effect I thought was good and added to the song. This album contained a lot of slower songs in fact I believe it was too many slow songs. I would have liked to see more songs the were faster.

AFI have always gone deep into emotions in their songs and this album is no different. The problem here is that some of the lyrics make no sense e.g. 'Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep'. Davey Havok is an excellent singer and the perfect mix of singing ang screaming has been found by these guys. Davey has not only a great voice he is also very passionate and it is that passion that makes the music even better.

Decemberunderground was long awaited by AFI fans and was overall worth it. After righting 100's of songs the best were pulled out and all the work paid off. Before Dememberunderground I wasn't that big a fan of AFI but the album really showed the bands true talent. Some of the really great songs are Miss Murder, Summer Shudder, Love Like Winter and Endlessly, Sha Said. This album is one of those ones you can never get sick of no matter how many times you listen to it. It is fantasic and I would recommend it to anyone who loves any type of rock.