decemberunderground review by AFI

• Released: May 29, 2006
AFI: decemberunderground

Jade Puget has added more of an effect-based sound to this album rather than in the past, where his guitar was his basic weapon of choice. Songs like 37mm showed a new side to the band's sound. Aside from Jade, the bass has shown more technicality in this album and the mezmerizing drum beats keep your heart in tempo.

As always, the band kept their lyrics mysterious and filled with angst as the fans kept the fire roaring. The music and the lyrics fit like a puzzle. Davey let off a little on the high vocals this time around, and possibly better for the group. Songs like the Killing Lights really paint pictures in your mind.

Decemberunderground was one of AFI's more emotional albums. As oppose to Sing The Sorrow, the band focused on the feel of the music AND the sound to the lyrics. The Interview, 37mm, Kiss and Control, and the Killing Lights were, in my eyes, the most well put together songs. I love the new feel of their music, but there will always be something in their old albums that will be missed.

Adawg#12
    DownbëloW
    Adawg#12 wrote: this is an awesome album!!These guys know how to play. Can you beleive Jade never had a lesson?
    Yea, it shows.
    crows of havoc
    I strongly disagree with some of the reviews I have been reading. Yes, i do believe they could have done better, and yes i believe they do sound somthing far from the original AFI sound. But people thats what makes them so amazing. The fact that they have such talent that they can create something completely out of this world every time they write is so amazing. You could read almost any interview on AFI and you'll hear the same.and if you've noticed almost every album sound so unalike the one befor it. The bottom line is AFI is brillient and true AFI fans would support them no matter what the sound. I would give ths album a 9