I Heard A Voice [DVD] Review

artist: AFI date: 01/04/2007 category: compact discs
AFI: I Heard A Voice [DVD]
Release Date: December 12, 2006
This is overall a very stellar production, and fans who have already embraced the new direction of the band, as well as new fans and casual fans, should find the DVD to be quite entertaining and a very worthwhile buy.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 10
 8.9
 7.7
review (1) 52 comments vote for this album:
I Heard A Voice [DVD] Reviewed by: axeslinger0u812, on january 04, 2007

Sound: This DVD was filmed in front of 13,000 fans at the Long Beach Arena, resulting in AFI's largest headlining show to date. It is also AFI's first DVD, despite the band being around for well over a decade. While not a career spanning show, the setlist does include a few pre-Sing The Sorrow cuts. Understandable, given that they are promoting their newest release. Fans of older AFI that despise their recent changes should steer clear, while newer fans, and fans who appreciate the new direction the band have gone in will find this DVD to become one of their favorites in very short time. Many of the songs seem to become epic, grandiose characters that leave you in amazement as to how the band can't be at the top of the rock genre. // 10

Overall Impression: As a whole package, "I Heard A Voice" is a fan-friendly affair. The intended audience has probably already bought this dvd, and the extras all cater to them. However, the live concert is well worth the price, as nothing in the set list is filler, and every song is passionately performed and sure to send hairs on your neck shooting to the sky. Hardcore fans of the band will love this dvd, and causual fans of newer material will be impressed as well. I was not expecting too much, as I was excited to be able to watch the performances and that was it. This DVD really surprised me in it's almost perfect content in what it does offer. I can't complain about the lack of extra's, as I actually enjoyed the extra's, and got it for the concert in the first place. Watching songs like "Endlessly, She Said", "This Time Imperfect", and "God Called In Sick Today", it is hard to think of any better songs to come out in recent years, and, in the case of "Endlessly, She Said" a hopeful single, as it is a masterpiece. This DVD is highly recommended. // 10

Comments