Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes review by AFI

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
AFI: Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes

This CD was Afi's way of proving they were hardcore back in the day. They proved it well considering that half the CD is screaming. The CD starts off with 'Keeping Out Of Direct Sunlight'. This is a semi-fast paced song that was played as a start to all of their concerts at the time. The sound on this and all of the tracks is basically the same. Distorted Les Paul. Punchy bass. Fast drums and screams. You can tell that Davey Havok was not used to the screaming as his voice oftens breaks mid scream (sounds cool though). Its things like that that make this sound hardcore. Unlike the scream of some bands, Davey Havok sounds like he is just screaming. Not distorting his voice or anything like that, just screaming out his lungs. For a good example listen to coin return. For an example of distorting your voice listen to todays lesson.

This was a major turning point for the lyrics of Davey Havok. The previous albums had very immature lyrics (though entertaining) like on Cereal Wars and High School Football Hero. Sure it's funny to hear someone sing about cereal and football but this CD was something different. The lyrics from this album slowly began to become more gothic, dark and cryptic. Needless to say the lyrics on this album are awesome. Some what hard to relate to though. "It burns, it burns, it burns my eyes and throat, I need, I need, I need no antidote."

This is a good CD. This was a turning point for afi. This is hardcore. Buy and you will not regret it. if it were stolen from me I would find the person drag them to a Cliff, tie them to the tow bar and tie the rope around them and throw off the Cliff. Drag up and repeat if neccessary. This a great CD and it's a shame it doesn't get more credit. Standout tracks to me are Single Second, Coin Return, Triple Zero abd Let It Be Broken.