Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes review by AFI

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
AFI: Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes

I love the sound of this album. Sure, if your favorite bands are From First to Last or The All-American Rejects than your most likely not going to be a fan of this CD. But if your favorite bands are Sick Of It All or Filth than this is right up your alley. Every song is raw and full of as much energy as you would get from any punk/hardcore album. The guitar is far simpler in this album because Jade did not join the band yet. Mark( afi's guitarist at the time of the CD) does a great job with the songs, even though the entire cd is mainly powerchords he plays with tons of aggression. Davey's voice is very raw and scratchy. Much diffrent than new afi. Who would have known that the scrawny little punk kid with a high pitched scream woiuld wind up being one of the best singers of our generation. The bass is flawless as this is the first cd with the bass god named Hunter. The drums are nothing flashy but they do keep the fast paced songs going.

Davey Havok is one of the greatests writers I know of. I love the way he uses metifors and play on words to describe things. Every song is brilliantly writin with the exception of Today Lesson because that is a filth cover.

I own every afi CD and EP and somehow this alwys ends up on my disc changer. Something about the raw aggression of songs like "The Devil Loves You" and "A Single Second" keeps bringing me back. I'll be honest, as far as song structure and musicianship this album does not compare to The Art Of Drowning, Sing The Sorrow or Decemberunderground. But it still hits a musical nerve every time I listen to it.

DownbëloW
    Vin2254
    DownbloW wrote: Davey is not one of the best singers of our time. sorry, I love his voice, the cds and the band, but his singing isn't great.
    You love his voice yet his singing is not great? Im confused.
    Ignite
    Everything about this CD is great. I mean, I'm a fan of their newer material (BSITS, AOD, STS, DU), but I absolutely love this whole CD. Davey's voice is completely different from Very Proud of Ya, it's better. Mark's guitar tone is perfect for this album, I don't know much about bass, but it sounds good to me, so props to Hunter. Adam's beats are fast paced and have a lot of energy. And to top it off with Davey's screams and yells of depair, it makes a great hardcore album.