Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes review by AFI

• Released: Nov 11, 1997
AFI: Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes

This has to be my favorite AFI album. The sound is just absolutely gritty and heavy. Davey Havok's voice is edgy and hardcore. AFI is renowned for changing their style every album (with the exception of the first two, being songs compiled from their early years) and this is no exception. Mark Stopholese definitely changed his guitar style, too. The riffs are more complicated and very off-key. This also was recorded at a time when Nick 13 of Tiger Army was living with Davey, and Nick 13 collaborated with the band on a few songs, more notably "A Single Second." This album features now-current bass player Hunter Burgan of The Force. Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes is a must have for original hardcore fans.

The lyrics are key in Davey's change from a little East Bay punk to a dark, gloomy, little East Bay goth-punk. They are a bit more aggressive than the two previous albums, but the same sense of self detachment is there. Davey, on this album, is apparently obsessed with the number three. Every three songs has some form of the number in the name. More talk of cults and Fall, this was the time when the logos had inverted pentagrams and the number 666 on them. You can never go wrong with a song called "The Devil Loves You."

Overall, this is the best hardcore album I have ever heard. The influence of their good friends Sick Of It All is prevalent. Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes just kicks your ass from "Keeping Out Of Direct Sunlight" to "Triple Zero," or if you have the vinyl, their amazing cover of the classic Misfits song, "Last Caress."

dirtymexican863
    kmceric1004 wrote: wats w/ ppl hating power chords o.0?? if u want complicated chords lyk jazz chords, then go listen to JAZZ! nothing wrong with power chords..oh and also complicated chords sound absolutely crap w/ distortion..as many of you might know..so ppl, STOP complaining about bands using power chords (dnt mind me just chucking a spaz)
    You can use more complicated chords w/ distortion and it can sound just fine. Depends if you're using a $hi77y amp or not and how much gain you prefer.
    Cameronrobson
    Welcome to punk rock.
    kmceric1004
    Vin2254
    Cameronrobson wrote: Vin2254 wrote: DownbloW wrote: Davey is not one of the best singers of our time. sorry, I love his voice, the cds and the band, but his singing isn't great. You love his voice yet his singing is not great? Im confused. Welcome to punk rock.
    haha, alright. although this is more of a hardcore album in my opinion.
    0h The Horror
    Jade is a beast guitarist, Hunter is a beast bassist, and Davey's a beast(Not anymore, but they were all pretty beast back in the day). But they're not the best.
    ValenceElectron
    Punkable_Tabs wrote: Better than their new shit.
    Vin2254
    ValenceElectron wrote: Punkable_Tabs wrote: Better than their new shit. Absolutely. How many more wonderful bands are gonna puss out on the real music and conform?
    i don't know. but im sort of sick of people bitching about it.