Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes Review

8.9
 9.3
 8.5
Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes Reviewed by: dkaddicts, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Full of energy, punkrock with a twist of energy. This cd gets your energy running within a matter of seconds. Davey Havoc lyrics are probably some of the best I have heard out of a punk band in a long time. Jade Pugets guitaring skills is very traditional in the album and more skilll are gained in later albums. Adam Carson's drums are full of electrifying speed. Hunter Burgan on Bass is also very traditional. // 8

Lyrics: Skills are very high on this album, just like all of the other albums. The lyrics go very well with the music, just the lyrics can get you going. One thing that did not impress me with the lyrics on this album is that I could find no connection with the lyrics and anything I have ever expirenced in my life time. // 8

Overall Impression: If anybody stole this album from me I would prob hunt them down and murder them, just playing, I would go out and buy this album in a heart beat. I recommend it to anybody a fan of Black Flag or Pennywise. "Three Reasons" is a great song which captured my attention almost immediatly. "Salt for Your Wounds" is also a wonderful song with a awsome guitar solo. // 8

Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes Reviewed by: joel_grieve, on december 26, 2005

Sound: This CD was Afi's way of proving they were hardcore back in the day. They proved it well considering that half the CD is screaming. The CD starts off with 'Keeping Out Of Direct Sunlight'. This is a semi-fast paced song that was played as a start to all of their concerts at the time. The sound on this and all of the tracks is basically the same. Distorted Les Paul. Punchy bass. Fast drums and screams. You can tell that Davey Havok was not used to the screaming as his voice oftens breaks mid scream (sounds cool though). Its things like that that make this sound hardcore. Unlike the scream of some bands, Davey Havok sounds like he is just screaming. Not distorting his voice or anything like that, just screaming out his lungs. For a good example listen to coin return. For an example of distorting your voice listen to todays lesson. // 9

Lyrics: This was a major turning point for the lyrics of Davey Havok. The previous albums had very immature lyrics (though entertaining) like on Cereal Wars and High School Football Hero. Sure it's funny to hear someone sing about cereal and football but this CD was something different. The lyrics from this album slowly began to become more gothic, dark and cryptic. Needless to say the lyrics on this album are awesome. Some what hard to relate to though. "It burns, it burns, it burns my eyes and throat, I need, I need, I need no antidote." // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good CD. This was a turning point for afi. This is hardcore. Buy and you will not regret it. if it were stolen from me I would find the person drag them to a Cliff, tie them to the tow bar and tie the rope around them and throw off the Cliff. Drag up and repeat if neccessary. This a great CD and it's a shame it doesn't get more credit. Standout tracks to me are Single Second, Coin Return, Triple Zero abd Let It Be Broken. // 10

Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes Reviewed by: Vin2254, on july 17, 2006

Sound: I love the sound of this album. Sure, if your favorite bands are From First to Last or The All-American Rejects than your most likely not going to be a fan of this CD. But if your favorite bands are Sick Of It All or Filth than this is right up your alley. Every song is raw and full of as much energy as you would get from any punk/hardcore album. The guitar is far simpler in this album because Jade did not join the band yet. Mark( afi's guitarist at the time of the CD) does a great job with the songs, even though the entire cd is mainly powerchords he plays with tons of aggression. Davey's voice is very raw and scratchy. Much diffrent than new afi. Who would have known that the scrawny little punk kid with a high pitched scream woiuld wind up being one of the best singers of our generation. The bass is flawless as this is the first cd with the bass god named Hunter. The drums are nothing flashy but they do keep the fast paced songs going. // 10

Lyrics: Davey Havok is one of the greatests writers I know of. I love the way he uses metifors and play on words to describe things. Every song is brilliantly writin with the exception of Today Lesson because that is a filth cover. // 10

Overall Impression: I own every afi CD and EP and somehow this alwys ends up on my disc changer. Something about the raw aggression of songs like "The Devil Loves You" and "A Single Second" keeps bringing me back. I'll be honest, as far as song structure and musicianship this album does not compare to The Art Of Drowning, Sing The Sorrow or Decemberunderground. But it still hits a musical nerve every time I listen to it. // 10

Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes Reviewed by: Johnny-go-go, on june 06, 2008

Sound: This has to be my favorite AFI album. The sound is just absolutely gritty and heavy. Davey Havok's voice is edgy and hardcore. AFI is renowned for changing their style every album (with the exception of the first two, being songs compiled from their early years) and this is no exception. Mark Stopholese definitely changed his guitar style, too. The riffs are more complicated and very off-key. This also was recorded at a time when Nick 13 of Tiger Army was living with Davey, and Nick 13 collaborated with the band on a few songs, more notably "A Single Second." This album features now-current bass player Hunter Burgan of The Force. Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes is a must have for original hardcore fans. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are key in Davey's change from a little East Bay punk to a dark, gloomy, little East Bay goth-punk. They are a bit more aggressive than the two previous albums, but the same sense of self detachment is there. Davey, on this album, is apparently obsessed with the number three. Every three songs has some form of the number in the name. More talk of cults and Fall, this was the time when the logos had inverted pentagrams and the number 666 on them. You can never go wrong with a song called "The Devil Loves You." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the best hardcore album I have ever heard. The influence of their good friends Sick Of It All is prevalent. Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes just kicks your ass from "Keeping Out Of Direct Sunlight" to "Triple Zero," or if you have the vinyl, their amazing cover of the classic Misfits song, "Last Caress." // 10

Comments