Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

I recently purchased the latest AFI album, 'Sing The Sorrow' with much anticiption, as the previous three albums were, in my opinion, excellent. However, when I bought 'S.T.S', I was quite disappointed. Gone was the familiar AFI sound of 'Black Sails In The Sunset' through to 'Art Of Drowning', and replaced by a slicker sound. The fact that AFI have used electronics for the first time, on the first album to a major record label, had caused quite a stir in magazines, and on forums. AFI have been repeatedly accused of being 'Sell-Outs' since the new album was released, as a lot of people were convinced that they had changed their sound to sell records. The first song to be released from the album is 'Girls Not Grey', and although it is a good song, it is not quite the quality of previous songs, like 'The Boy Who Destroyed The World' and 'Days Of The Phoenix'. Davey's voice is quite mellow on the song, and it seems obvious to some that Dreamworks picked this song to be released first, as it is more of a 'radio-friendly' song.

I mentioned earlier that I was originally dissapointed with the first run through of the album, but after I had listened to it some more, I began to appreciate the songs more. They were still AFI, still quality, and I even began to enjoy some of the electronic sections that had been so disregarded by some sections of AFI's fans. AFI have lost a lot of fans through the change to their sound, but they have gained a lot as well, so it looks like the gamble on AFI's part has resonably paid off. If you are new to AFI and love Punk music, give 'Sing The Sorrow' a try. And if you like that, then buy their older records, because some of them are even better!