Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

AFI's (A Fire Inside) new album "Sing The Sorrow" is a CD that I bought one week ago on the day of it's release. By the time the introduction song, "Miseria Cantare (The Beginning)", was over I knew that this Album was going to be a masterpeice, and I was correct. Every song on the album is completely different from the previous song and with each passing song the album gets better and better. Davey Havok's vocals on this cd are in one word, "stunning". The variety of how he uses his amazing voice could make you think that AFI has more then one lead singer when they really only have one. Every piece of the album fits together very well, and although I would have enjoyed listening to more guitar solos than just the one in "Dancing Through Sunday", I found the parts of every instrument to be very creative and good.

The lyrics written by Davey Havok are possibly the most amazing part of this album, every word seems to fit perfectly in each song. Half the fun of the album comes from trying to interpret the meanings from each song. This chorus from the song "Death of Seasons", "I watch the stars as they fall from the sky. I held a fallen star and it wept for me. Dying. I feel the fallen stars encircle me now, as they cry...", is a good example of the lyrics on Sing The Sorrow.

I believe that the album does go downhill a bit with the song "This Celluoid Dream", but within the first 15 seconds of "The Leaving Song", the listener is once again fully alert and interested. Perhaps the best part of the album comes along with the last two songs "The Leaving Song" and "...But Home is Nowhere" . There is a hidden track as well, "This Time Imperfect", which is the best song on the album in my opinion. This song actually kind of gives me a "Stairway to Heaven" (by Led Zeppelin) feeling, how the song goes for a while as a slow melodic song, but by the end the song has built up and Davey's amazing vocals are overwhelming you for a great last impression. With one or two very minor problems with the album, Sing the Sorrow is a wonderful album for any type of fan.