Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

The newest AFI album "Sing the Sorrow" starts with the intro song "Miseria Cantare - The Beginning", which is a sort of chanting song like "Strenght through wounding", and is very atmospheric. AFI has most then less left their "hardcore" punk image, and has gone to a much more melodic and "meaningful" music. The album's name is after all called "Sing the Sorrow", so it has a certain layer of depression painted over it. But it is all good - it has never felt so good being depressed, listening to this album. The guitar sounds good, the bass is awesomly played as usual, the vocals are good aswell, but I found the drums maybe a bit boring at times? Awesome work anyways, the overall theme is highly enjoyable.

One word about the lyrics of this album - they're truly, truly superb. Such emotions, such excellent use of words. The title of the songs are in a class of their own, such as "Bleed Black", "Dancing Through Sunday" and "Death of Seasons". The lyrics match the music very well, and it all sounds very real and passionate. It can be angry, sad or confused. Either way the lyrics deliver much more than I asked for, and is top notch. Davey's voice penetrate your mind and leave you with a feeling of amazement. One might even say the lyrics are the greatest thing about the whole album!

Well, I thought at first I'd never even like this CD after hearing only their first single for it, "Girl's Not Grey", I liked very much their "Art of Drowning"-style. I still do, but this is so much more artistic. AFI has gone a long way, from singing about cereal wars, to deep music like shown on this album. The song I was most impressed about on this album would be "...but home is nowhere". This has to be my favourite AFI song ever. Just listen to it, listen to the passion Davey has in his voice, listen to the atmosphere, listen to the drama. Truly great stuff, very worth listening to. If it would be stolen, then yes, I would definitely buy a new one. AFI is one of my favourite bands, and this could very well be my favourite CD by them. It is totally worth buying if you are into "dark and depressing" settings of music. Though the music itself might not be too "dark", the lyrics are, and very well written. I love this CD, and have enjoyed every second of listening to it.