Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

I have been an Afi fan for a very long time, and I have to say this album is a natural progression, you could hear that AOD was slightly mellower than Black Sails and this has just followed on, it's a truly deep and meaningful album, Davey is singing his own personal sorrow, and Jade is an absolute genius guitarist. I love Black Sails but i'd say that this is it's equal, if not better for different reasons.

Afi lyrics from Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes onwards have been dark, I read that some people said that they can't understand what he's singning about, well it's totally irrelevant as it's his own personal feelings, me personally, I can understand most of it but to understand all of it you would have to be in Davey's head anyway, or in fact in his heart because that's where all good writing comes from.

Sing The Sorrow is very different from Black Sails, although I think God Called In Sick Today and Clove Smoke Catharsis would've got onto it, and AOD was like the linking album, but the essence of Afi remains there, they write what's in there hearts. The best tracks on this album, in my opinion are "This Time Imperfect" and "But Home Is Nowhere" because they are two of the most genuinely emotional songs I've ever heard (I say genuinely because I believe emo rock is all just fake) and I would say definitely buy this album!