Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

Afi definitely manages an awesome sound in this record, there's nothing in the mainstream like it and I don't really care about these punk assholes saying they sold out and stuff, don't you think that selling out involves the artist sacrificing their writing skills to please massive audiences? do you think that's what Afi is doing in Sing The Sorrow with such a heartfelt writing? Well, Jade's guitar is pretty good, even more so if you consider it's punk. But I doubt that hunter's bass parts are all that great, I mean anyone with some skill can play any song. The drums are also ok, standard punk stuff.

Some of the best lyrics of a modern rock band I've ever read, surpassed by few, maybe Bad Religion. And, certainly they are one with the music, though I find it hard to understand them without reading, but then again english isn't my native language. I won't mention Davey's singing, we all know he's great.

One thing I hate is that "Silver And Cold" and the other singles are played too much in MTV for my liking, actually when I listen to it I have considered skipping it. "Dancing Through Sunday", "Bleed Black", and "This Time Imperfect" are my favorite. There's no filler but I don't love "This Celluloid Dream" only cuz it's too generic.