Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

This album has amazing sound. I really like the the depressing/gothic feel to it. Jade Puget's guitar is just great, he doesn't rely on power chords to write his songs, giving the guitar a unique sound. Hunter's basslines and Adam's drums are good too, but I think Davey Havok has an amazing voice. I don't understand why some people don't like it. Probably my favourite singer besides Maynard James Keenan of Tool. Actually come to think of it I like them equally. Overall, the sound is great and much different from most of the stuff you hear today, such as Pop-punk bands like Blink-182.

Davey's lyrics are amazing. I don't understand all of them, but they must mean something to him and the band. I just love the words to the songs, especially in "The Great Dissappointment," and "The Leaving Song."

Sing the Sorrow was the album that got me into AFI, it may not be a great one to start with, since it doesn't really sound like AFI's old CDs, but it's definitly my favourite one. Don't get me wrong, the older albums are great too, I just like their new sound much better. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about was the little techno parts such as in "Death of Seasons," but the whole album has really grown on me and everything is great to me now. Standing out tracks (in my opinion) are: "The Leaving Song" (pt. 1), "This Time Imperfect" (hidden track), "The Great Dissappointment," and "This Celluoid Dream." If I lost Sing the Sorrow, I would buy it again right away, or try to get the one that comes with the bonus dvd. This is one of my favourite albums of all time, even though I'm only 13. By the way, it has awesome album art as well.