Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

At first, when I bought this CD I thought it would've been more punkish since I had been listening to some of their old songs, anyway, when I first listened to the CD I was intrigued by the way Miseria Cantare - The Beginning sounded. The CD's sound is a nice grunge/punk sound with great guitar, bass, drums and most of all vocal skills. This CD is pretty dark, most of the songs are about death but as I said before sound great, yet still after all the songs about death the CD ends with a song about someone not knowing where to go in life. The songs on the CD go in this order: 01. Miseria Cantare - The Beginning 02. The Leaving Song Pt. 2 03. Bleed Black 04. Silver And Cold 05. Dancing Through Sunday 06. Girl's Not Grey 07. Death Of Seasons 08. The Great Disapointment 09. Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings) 10. This Celluloid Dream 11. The Leaving Song 12. But Home Is Nowhere (After But Home Is Nowhere there are two hidden songs, one is a spoken song that doesn't have a name and the other is entitled This Time Imperfect).

The lyrics on this album are great, they really are. Every word has meaning to the songs, and the lyrics are sung perfectly with the sound of the music. Davey's skills with his voice are one of a kind, his voice is truly one of the most unique in the punk scene.

This album is probably one of AFI's best, by far, if there is one CD you should get by AFI it should be this it is perfect even if this is your first AFI CD. By far the two best songs are This Celluloid Dream and Dancing Through Sunday, This Celluloid dream is an explosion of sound that comes together in a brilliant piece of Davey's legendary voice, Jade's explosive guitar, Hunter's smooth bass and Adam's crazy drumming. Dancing Through Sunday is probably the best song on the CD it shows how AFI are still in the punk scene and can still sing like they used to, this song has an awesome solo towards the end that is probably one of the best Jade had done in his days of AFI/Redemption 87. I love this CD for everything it has, I can't say I dislike a thing about it apart from that it ends since it is such a fantastic CD. If someone stole it from me I wouldn't worry because I also bought AFI's Clandestine book that has Sing The Sorrow in it, but still I probably would buy another Sing The Sorrow, since of how good a CD it is. But if someone stole it, that is a completely different story, I would hunt them down, and either ask them to give it back or I'd tie them up and tickle them until they cried then I'd cover their feet in cement and throw them into the ocean sorry I got a little out of hand there. But on the serious hand here, buy the CD and listen to what might just be the best CD you'll ever own.