Sing the Sorrow review by AFI

• Released: Mar 11, 2003
AFI: Sing the Sorrow

AFI has finally made their major label debut with this album. To tell anyone reading this the truth, I haven't heard any of AFI's old stuff but from what I've heard on this album, any album that has Jade Puget in it is bound to be good. The sound isn't pop-punk, but sort of punk rock or hardcore punk. In my opinion, Jade Puget is an awesome guitarist and is much better than most guitarists in pop-punk bands. He uses barre chords more often than most guitarists. I was completely amazed at all of the riffs and chord progressions played in this album. There wasn't anything wrong with it at all. The second song, The Leaving Song Pt.2 has an amazing intro riff.

The lyrics were also awesome. The lyrics in this album are about a man who dies and is destined to never be reincarnated again because he was born under the chinese astrological sign of the rabbit (my friend told me this). Davey Havok has one of the most amazing voices I have ever heard. His voice can be soft when he wants and provide a harder, even screaming, voice. The only bad thing I have to say about the lyrics is that sometimes I can't tell what Davey is singing so I have to look it up.

Overall, this is one of the best albums I have heard this year. My favorite songs are The Leaving Song Pt.2, Bleed Black, Silver and Cold, Dancing through Sunday, and Girl's Not Grey. Davey Havok doesn't really sound like anyone from any band I listen to. That's because his voice is very unique. If I lost this CD, I would go out and by it again, even during the same day I would lose it.