Sing The Sorrow Review

artist: AFI date: 01/31/2011 category: compact discs
AFI: Sing The Sorrow
Released: Mar 11, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angry, Rousing, Cathartic, Earnest, Visceral, Brash, Fiery, Complex, Intense, Reflective
Styles: Hardcore Punk, Goth Rock, Punk Revival, Emo
This isn't the wholesale departure from AFI's roots that some longtime fans griped about.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
 1,412
Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: JVDumarC, on october 18, 2005

Sound: AFI are those bands for me that I always stay impressed when I hear a song of them because of their great sound, on this record Jade Puget keeps showing his great skills playing the guitar including amazing solo's from the slower to the stupidly technical and faster ones, Hunter makes the perfect match with Jade with the bass, Adam adds sticky rythms to the songs, and Davey's voice it's one of the voices that I prefer the must, his singing style is amazing and his voice its one of the best. They include a techno part on one of the songs that goes pretty cool. All together they just combine perfectly, this is one of the reasons that I like AFI they just play too good. I can assure you will like this record if you haven't hear it yet. // 10

Lyrics: Davey Havok it's a great singer, he's got a great voice and he write really good lyrics, the tone of his voice and the lyrics match perfectly with their music style. The first time I heard this I get stick almost to every song. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't compare this album to any other this is one of a kind for me, it's a more mature style in comparisson with the preview ones. The songs I found really impressive are "The Leaving Song Pt. II" mainly because of the guitar tech and melody, "Silver Sad Cold" a really sticky lyric and sound, "Bleed Black", "Dancing Through Sunday" the solo it's amazing, "Girls Not Grey" the excelent first single of the album, "This Celluloid Dream," "The Leaving Song" the acoustic song of the album are one of those that gets you to important memories and "...But Home Is Nowhere." Well overall I must say I really like this album every song has something special, and if I lose it or it gets stolen I'll find the way to get it back at any cost I'm like the one of few ones that owns a original copy of this record at my country, I'll be really angry if I lose it. I'll miss it very much. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: Jade Puget has great guitar tone, and AFI uses more time signature changes than ever, this is a creative album but its a far cry from the hardcore punk that AFI are known for. // 8

Lyrics: After Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, nine out of ten of AFI's songs stopped making sense, as far as singing goes Davey Havok's vocals sound good and go well with the songs. // 6

Overall Impression: Jade Puget is an incredible guitarist, however when he joined the band and they released The Art Of Drowning the music really started to change. This record has a few good songs but it is by far the band's worst album, all the original AFI fans will agree with me, the newer AFI fans would probably not enjoy AFI when they were still a punk band. // 6

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2005

Sound: At first, when I bought this CD I thought it would've been more punkish since I had been listening to some of their old songs, anyway, when I first listened to the CD I was intrigued by the way Miseria Cantare - The Beginning sounded. The CD's sound is a nice grunge/punk sound with great guitar, bass, drums and most of all vocal skills. This CD is pretty dark, most of the songs are about death but as I said before sound great, yet still after all the songs about death the CD ends with a song about someone not knowing where to go in life. The songs on the CD go in this order: 01. Miseria Cantare - The Beginning 02. The Leaving Song Pt. 2 03. Bleed Black 04. Silver And Cold 05. Dancing Through Sunday 06. Girl's Not Grey 07. Death Of Seasons 08. The Great Disapointment 09. Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings) 10. This Celluloid Dream 11. The Leaving Song 12. But Home Is Nowhere (After But Home Is Nowhere there are two hidden songs, one is a spoken song that doesn't have a name and the other is entitled This Time Imperfect). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are great, they really are. Every word has meaning to the songs, and the lyrics are sung perfectly with the sound of the music. Davey's skills with his voice are one of a kind, his voice is truly one of the most unique in the punk scene. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is probably one of AFI's best, by far, if there is one CD you should get by AFI it should be this it is perfect even if this is your first AFI CD. By far the two best songs are This Celluloid Dream and Dancing Through Sunday, This Celluloid dream is an explosion of sound that comes together in a brilliant piece of Davey's legendary voice, Jade's explosive guitar, Hunter's smooth bass and Adam's crazy drumming. Dancing Through Sunday is probably the best song on the CD it shows how AFI are still in the punk scene and can still sing like they used to, this song has an awesome solo towards the end that is probably one of the best Jade had done in his days of AFI/Redemption 87. I love this CD for everything it has, I can't say I dislike a thing about it apart from that it ends since it is such a fantastic CD. If someone stole it from me I wouldn't worry because I also bought AFI's Clandestine book that has Sing The Sorrow in it, but still I probably would buy another Sing The Sorrow, since of how good a CD it is. But if someone stole it, that is a completely different story, I would hunt them down, and either ask them to give it back or I'd tie them up and tickle them until they cried then I'd cover their feet in cement and throw them into the ocean sorry I got a little out of hand there. But on the serious hand here, buy the CD and listen to what might just be the best CD you'll ever own. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is truly unbelievable. I don't care if you think AFI has sold out, this is simply amazing when you think of AFI nearly not being a reality after high school. This album is the perfect example of a fire inside's musical talent. Although this album is a change from Black Sails and the even older material, the change is a very obvious change for the better. All of the people who call this a "pansy" album or say it isnt punk then you can listen to what you want, because this isn't a very punk album. Besides, why do people really want to define something by genre anyways? // 10

Lyrics: Pefect. Davey is perfect. The songwriting is perfect. Davey writes for the listener, and what you take out of it not what he thinks. It's just up to you to understand it and what you take from it is what it means. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is two or three years old and I'm still listening to it regularly, and am still amazed. It definately surpasses many of todays albums, as well as some older albums. The most impressive song on this album isn't really a song at all. I was blown away by the poem after But Home Is Nowhere; and to think that Jade wrote two verses of it tells you that every member of this band is sheer genius. If this album was stolen, lost or broken, I would buy 2 more copies of it just in case something like that happened again. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: skylar_rhcp, on march 19, 2005

Sound: This album is very different from any other punk bands I ever heard. They're very unique in their sound. Davey's voice is amazing together with Jade's guitar sound. But I do not really like the screamings except "The Leaving Song, Pt. 2". Hunter's bassline is fantastic and so is Adam's drummings. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are perfect. I've never seen anyone wrote such beautiful words. His lyrics are like poetry. So deep, such emotional expressions. I like it when he sings it soft. I don't really like it when he screams. I don't think it's great together. // 10

Overall Impression: The first punk rock band I ever liked. I don't really listen to punk bands but they really caught my ear. Very impressed by this band. "Silver And Cold," "The Great Dissapointment" and the hidden track, "This Time Imperfect" are a few of my favourites. I went all the way to another country to get this album, if it's stolen, yeah, I think I'll do that again. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: I Walk Alone, on may 07, 2007

Sound: A lot of people complain about AFI's sound changing drastically in this album, but I must say for one thing the change wasn't too drastic, and for another thing I think it was for the better of the band. Every song on this CD is worth listening to even if some don't compete with the rest. 01. Misiera Cantare - the coolest intro to an album I have ever heard. Makes Prelude 12/21 sound like it was made by a fifth grader. 02. The Leaving Song Pt. II - opens with a very cool guitar part, and continues to stun the listener throughout the song. One of the best AFI has made. 03. Bleed Black - catchy song, took a bit for it to sink in for me, but overall very good. 04. Silver And Cold - very depressing song that opens up with a cool piano line. Never fails to give me chills. 05. Dancing Through Sunday - this song almost makes me crap my pants with excitement. The coolest song AFI has ever written in my opinion. Amazing vocals, catchy riffs, and an unexpected guitar solo. 06. Girls Not Grey - catchy song, one of the hits off the album. Hard for me to describe but still a great song. 07. Death Of Seasons - my second favorite off of Sing The Sorrow. Very cool opening bass line, a punkish verse, a chorus that of course AFI would only sing, and a techno breakdown? Yeah. You have to listen to it. 08. The Great Disappointment - lives up to it's name. While it's a great song, it is the worst on the album. Still worth listening to, but doesn't keep up with the rest. 09. Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings) - another catchy song off the album. While it isn't very unique, it's still worth a listen. 10. This Celluloid Dream - awesome song. One of the top songs on the album. Another that's hard to describe. 11. The Leaving Song - beautiful song. Very light, yet still sounding like an AFI song. 12. ...But Home Is Nowhere - Really cool song and a great way to end the album. 13. This Time Imperfect (hidden song) - the most beautiful song on the album. A light song with the most in-depth lyrics out of any song I've ever heard. I seem to be able to relate to it in every way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics sometimes don't make sense to me, and I'm not sure if that's because of the in-depth imagery or because it really doesn't make sense. Either way, a lot of the songs that I do recognize the lyrics to show themselves as amazing works of poetry that anyone could relate to. Davey Havok really needs to quit showing off. // 10

Overall Impression: Sing The Sorrow is my favorite AFI album by far. Decemberunderground was good, but not great. AFI has a lot of good old albums as well, but in my mind none can compete with Sing The Sorrow. The best songs are Dancing Through Sunday, Death Of Seasons, This Time Imperfect, and The Leaving Song Pt. II. The album is almost perfect in every way. If it were stolen, well, I have it on both of my computers and on a flash drive, so it could never truly be stolen. Long live AFI! // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2003

Sound: I recently purchased the latest AFI album, 'Sing The Sorrow' with much anticiption, as the previous three albums were, in my opinion, excellent. However, when I bought 'S.T.S', I was quite disappointed. Gone was the familiar AFI sound of 'Black Sails In The Sunset' through to 'Art Of Drowning', and replaced by a slicker sound. The fact that AFI have used electronics for the first time, on the first album to a major record label, had caused quite a stir in magazines, and on forums. AFI have been repeatedly accused of being 'Sell-Outs' since the new album was released, as a lot of people were convinced that they had changed their sound to sell records. The first song to be released from the album is 'Girls Not Grey', and although it is a good song, it is not quite the quality of previous songs, like 'The Boy Who Destroyed The World' and 'Days Of The Phoenix'. Davey's voice is quite mellow on the song, and it seems obvious to some that Dreamworks picked this song to be released first, as it is more of a 'radio-friendly' song. // 8

Overall Impression: I mentioned earlier that I was originally dissapointed with the first run through of the album, but after I had listened to it some more, I began to appreciate the songs more. They were still AFI, still quality, and I even began to enjoy some of the electronic sections that had been so disregarded by some sections of AFI's fans. AFI have lost a lot of fans through the change to their sound, but they have gained a lot as well, so it looks like the gamble on AFI's part has resonably paid off. If you are new to AFI and love Punk music, give 'Sing The Sorrow' a try. And if you like that, then buy their older records, because some of them are even better! // 8

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2003

Sound: AFI's (A Fire Inside) new album "Sing The Sorrow" is a CD that I bought one week ago on the day of it's release. By the time the introduction song, "Miseria Cantare (The Beginning)", was over I knew that this Album was going to be a masterpeice, and I was correct. Every song on the album is completely different from the previous song and with each passing song the album gets better and better. Davey Havok's vocals on this cd are in one word, "stunning". The variety of how he uses his amazing voice could make you think that AFI has more then one lead singer when they really only have one. Every piece of the album fits together very well, and although I would have enjoyed listening to more guitar solos than just the one in "Dancing Through Sunday", I found the parts of every instrument to be very creative and good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics written by Davey Havok are possibly the most amazing part of this album, every word seems to fit perfectly in each song. Half the fun of the album comes from trying to interpret the meanings from each song. This chorus from the song "Death of Seasons", "I watch the stars as they fall from the sky. I held a fallen star and it wept for me. Dying. I feel the fallen stars encircle me now, as they cry...", is a good example of the lyrics on Sing The Sorrow. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe that the album does go downhill a bit with the song "This Celluoid Dream", but within the first 15 seconds of "The Leaving Song", the listener is once again fully alert and interested. Perhaps the best part of the album comes along with the last two songs "The Leaving Song" and "...But Home is Nowhere" . There is a hidden track as well, "This Time Imperfect", which is the best song on the album in my opinion. This song actually kind of gives me a "Stairway to Heaven" (by Led Zeppelin) feeling, how the song goes for a while as a slow melodic song, but by the end the song has built up and Davey's amazing vocals are overwhelming you for a great last impression. With one or two very minor problems with the album, Sing the Sorrow is a wonderful album for any type of fan. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Rankles, on july 21, 2003

Sound: Well I heard about A.F.I. after they supported the Offspring a couple of years ago here in the UK. After hearin two of their songs, Totalimmirtal and Girls Not Grey, and loving both I decided to buy this album. It opens with a drum intro similar to that in the Terminator theme tune... and the vocals that followed in this beginning song were incredible. Davey Havoks voice really stands out during the whole of this album, and despite screaming at some points, which isn't particularly used often in Punk, it really fits well. // 10

Lyrics: With well written and poetic songs such as 'The Celluloid Dream', combined with the effective guitar work of Jade Pugent this album is full of top quality tracks. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe it will appeal to fans of metal and punk, and A.F.I fans will certainly not be disappointed. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Amorican, on july 21, 2003

Sound: This in my opinion is perhaps their Second Best Album next to Black Sails in the Sunset. Yes the song set up is very different and on 2 of the songs there is actually a drum machine, very odd for a A.F.I. song but it strangly fits, very well. Jade Puget also shows tons of skills on the Songs Dancing Through Sunday and ...But Home is Nowhere. Hunter on the bass gives a bone chilling intro to Death of Seasons which is arguably the best song on the cd. The drums gives a fast thumping beat that never gets old. Now the Bad, the cd doesn't get good until Dancing Through Sunday, the first four songs make the cd sound like a soft-core emo cd. Although it isn't bad, it just doesn't fit. Other than that this is cd is almost flawless, 3 songs that dont really matter on a 12 song cd...In My Opinion thats pretty damn good. // 8

Lyrics: The Lyrics, are as always very deep and very Confusing, tons of metaphors and tons of huge words. Davey Havok is a master song writter. // 8

Overall Impression: If you're a Fan of the Punk scene and enjoy fast music..That isn't childish then you should pick up This Album along with Black Sails in the Sunset and The Art of Drowning by A.F.I. their best work ever. // 8

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2003

Sound: AFI's music has alot of range. There is not a song I dislike on this album. Davey's voice is amazing, and well suited to the many different extremes of music played by the rest of the band. It all compliments very well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Never before have I felt something so much like empathy for someone I have never known. It is quite possible the lyrics on this album, if read, could reach and mean something to someone of every different genre of life possible. // 10

Overall Impression: AFI could quite possibly be the best band in existance in my opinion. ...but home is nowhere, dancing through sunday, this time imperfect, and death of seasons must be the most impressive and meaningful songs on this album. I love everything about them. If I lost it, or it were stolen, I'd buy it over and over again million times. It could very much so be the most important album to me of my time. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Death Of Season, on december 26, 2003

Sound: I think this album is AFI's best overall. The guitar is amazing, the vocals are amazing, the bass is amazing, the drums are good. Every song has a different feel to it, and none of them get old. The intro to 'The Leaving Song, Pt. 2' is quite frankly brilliant, as Jade uses both hands to tap out the notes on the fretboard; a beautifully done nostalgic touch. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written, much better than some of the older AFI, and they match well with the music. Davey is a great lyricist and vocalist. His singing is hauntingly brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album, not really comparable to anything because it has a very unique and well-rounded sound. The most impressive songs are 'The Leaving Song, Pt. 2', '...But Home Is Nowhere', 'Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)' and 'This Celluloid Dream', among countless...12 in all...others. If I lost this album I would definetly replace it. If you don't already own it, get it. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Pagerot, on january 21, 2004

Sound: The newest AFI album "Sing the Sorrow" starts with the intro song "Miseria Cantare - The Beginning", which is a sort of chanting song like "Strenght through wounding", and is very atmospheric. AFI has most then less left their "hardcore" punk image, and has gone to a much more melodic and "meaningful" music. The album's name is after all called "Sing the Sorrow", so it has a certain layer of depression painted over it. But it is all good - it has never felt so good being depressed, listening to this album. The guitar sounds good, the bass is awesomly played as usual, the vocals are good aswell, but I found the drums maybe a bit boring at times? Awesome work anyways, the overall theme is highly enjoyable. // 8

Lyrics: One word about the lyrics of this album - they're truly, truly superb. Such emotions, such excellent use of words. The title of the songs are in a class of their own, such as "Bleed Black", "Dancing Through Sunday" and "Death of Seasons". The lyrics match the music very well, and it all sounds very real and passionate. It can be angry, sad or confused. Either way the lyrics deliver much more than I asked for, and is top notch. Davey's voice penetrate your mind and leave you with a feeling of amazement. One might even say the lyrics are the greatest thing about the whole album! // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I thought at first I'd never even like this CD after hearing only their first single for it, "Girl's Not Grey", I liked very much their "Art of Drowning"-style. I still do, but this is so much more artistic. AFI has gone a long way, from singing about cereal wars, to deep music like shown on this album. The song I was most impressed about on this album would be "...but home is nowhere". This has to be my favourite AFI song ever. Just listen to it, listen to the passion Davey has in his voice, listen to the atmosphere, listen to the drama. Truly great stuff, very worth listening to. If it would be stolen, then yes, I would definitely buy a new one. AFI is one of my favourite bands, and this could very well be my favourite CD by them. It is totally worth buying if you are into "dark and depressing" settings of music. Though the music itself might not be too "dark", the lyrics are, and very well written. I love this CD, and have enjoyed every second of listening to it. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2004

Sound: In comparison to previous albums, this is not one of their better sounding albums. I'm not one of those typical little fuckers who go on about how afi sold out, and I know every album of theres is different, but this one is a stepo in the wrong direction. The guitar parts are more technical, but that's not everything. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are darker and more mature than previous recordings, which is the only decent thing on the cd. Davey is a great singer, unfortunately, even his talents cant back up a half-assed effort by the band. // 6

Overall Impression: I felt like this album was changed by the record company to sound the way it did, not by AFI's own maturity or choice. This cd, though darker, was softer and weaker than wat they typically give you. It was a half assed effort, and was meant for lil high school freshmen who think they are cool cuz they listen to "the new band AFI", most don't realize they have much better cds released previously....get Black Sails...awesome album, by far the best....don't recommend Sing The Sorrow for hardcore fans. // 4

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2004

Sound: Except for the first track which I usually skip, this album is great for sound. Afi isn't like the pop punk that's flooding the market, they don't rely on powerchords (nothing wrong with them) and the vocals are smooth. // 10

Lyrics: I can't understand half of what they're talking about. When I first got the album, I listened to it a few times, then looked at the lyrics and it's something totally different from what they're talking about. In Dancing Through Sunday I thought they were saying "I'm an asshole" but its and we dance on or something. // 6

Overall Impression: I liked it, reminds me of last summer for some reason, good for rainy days. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2004

Sound: 'Sing the Sorrow' was the first album by AFI I ever picked up, and I am forever grateful that I did so. The overall sound can only be truly described in one word - epic. The album refuses to be pidgeonholed and rapidly fuses a wide range of genres; most noticeably punk, Goth, hardcore and even a hint of metal. This intriguing mix is dipped exquisitely in a dark, melancholy overtone that compliments everything about this CD perfectly, especially the lyrics. This in my opinion is AFI's undoubtedly best album ever; upon hearing it, I have worked my way backwards and bought every single album by the band, along with a couple of their earlier EPs. I think they're all amazing in their own ways, but 'Sing The Sorrow' is utter perfection - a natural evolution which has nothing to do with record labels can very clearly be heard and felt through the band's songwriting and musical skills. The current line-up of AFI could not be more perfect, with Jade's virtuoso guitar skills adding a dark overtone to the album and Hunter's unbelievable bass mastery creating an amazing and very solid foundation to every song. // 10

Lyrics: Ah, the lyrics. Consistently, the lyrics have always been my favourite part of any AFI album, but obviously 'Sing The Sorrow' is lyrically by far the best. Davey Havok is a pure and utter genius when it comes to writing lyrics; they are always dark, haunting, and eerily beautiful without exception. Dripping with raw emotion that can always be felt, the cryptically-written lyrics of every song really hit you hard, and make you sit down and think even if you don't understand what they're about. The pure beauty of the album's lyrics are perfectly complimented by the pure beauty of Davey's voice; his amazing range and the clear flawlessness of his unique vocals could not be more perfect. His singing has very noticeably improved and matured with every album, and with his broad vocal style that can manage anything from hardcore to ballads coupled with the haunting elegance of his lyrics, there is not a single moment on the CD which isn't pure rapture to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: As said before, 'Sing The Sorrow' is in my opinion the unchallenged reigning champion of all six of AFI's albums. AFI are my all-time favourite band, and despite running the risk of sounding cliched I know they have truly changed my life forever. I love the dark feel to both the music and the lyrics, which was very rarely present in any of their other albums [except perhaps 'The Art of Drowning' and 'Black Sails', to a degree]. The stand-out tracks on 'Sing The Sorrow' would have to be 'Death of Seasons,' a hardcore-laced song sung to perfection by the ever-astounding Davey Havok, 'Silver and Cold' which is melodic and darkly enchanting, and definitely the hidden track, 'This Time Imperfect.' This track is unlike anything ever done before by the band, and is the most hauntingly beautiful song on the CD in every way. If this album was ever lost or stolen from me, I would not hesitate to run out at that very moment and buy two more [one for back-up; Heaven forbid that should ever happen again]. If you are a fan of AFI at all and especially if you love deep, dark and epic music, this would be the perfect album for you - for me and no doubt countless others it is ground-breaking, life-changing and overall, pure art. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: mahoney, on april 08, 2004

Sound: Honestly, ever since I first listened to 'God Called in sick today' this band has never ceased to amaze me. Sing The Sorrow, in my opinion is the best album so far, with a great variety of songs and sounds. I have no favourite song on this album strictly because there are so many good tracks here. // 10

Lyrics: Yeah it's true... it is hard to tell what Dave sings a lot of the time but a quick look at the lyrics and you'll see that they are well thought of and well applied to the music. // 10

Overall Impression: AFI are just one of those bands that are extremely talented and deserve a lot more recognition than they actually receive. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: punkgtrst096, on april 15, 2004

Sound: This was the first cd I ever bought by AFI, and I don't regret it. I got into AFI back when THPS3 came out, because on the game one of the songs was "The Boy Who Destroyed The World", which was one kick ass song. I bought this cd last summer, and I haven't stopped listening to it. The sound on Sing the Sorrow is fantastic. Without Jade Puget and Hunter Bergan, I doubt AFI would have come this far. This cd impements the afore mentioned band members by really letting them bring out their talent to the fullest extent. As a guitarist, I really admire Jade because of his unique sound. He doesn't use power chords as most guitarists do. As for Hunter, he is an amazing bass player. It really shows his talent on this album, and can easily be seen in the intro to "Death of Seasons". Adam Carson has always been a great drummer and continues to obtain his talent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of AFI have always been confusing since they picked up Jade and Hunter, and I never really understood why. I like them though, it shows Davey has the ability to create very well thought out lyrics, so that you actually have to think about the song itself. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of their best albums. I like The Art of Drowning and Black Sails in the Sunset a little more, but this is the most compelling album. Like I said before, it really brings out all their talent, and combines it to make one great album. Go buy it. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2004

Sound: Sing The Sorrow is far off a good album. It may not have the fast paced energy and anthem like songs that Black Sails and Art Of Drowning have but its still great. Miseria Cantarecan almost replace strength through wounding Jade Puget's guitar skills add a very unique sound. Unlike those you hear with regular chords. Hunter and Adam also helped pull it off. But Davey's voice ties the whole thing together. With his loud energetic yet melancholy voice really worked well. BUY THIS ALBUM!!! // 10

Lyrics: I love how AFI's lyrics are very metaphorical and I enjoy how the words make you think about the whole song carefully. Unlike other bands AFI doesn't simply just say the words, they carefully compare them to very haunting yet beautiful things such as "voiceless ones" etc. Davey and Jade are lyrical geniuses! This really shows in the album. especially on this time imperfect and deathj of seasons. This time imperfect is my favorite song in the album. It is put in an un AFI like style, but I think they nailed the song excellently. The lyrics on sing the sorrow should be carefully thought out when listened to to get the full meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: Sing The Sorrow is a great album. I can't really compare it to black sails and art of drowning because it holds a style of its own, but it's still AFI. It's well done and it its very complete. song such as this time imperfect can really show this opinion. I still like art of drowning more though. This album is WORTH buying. I would buy this album again if I lost it. I love it that much. At first the album doesn't seem that well, but you got to listen a few more times to get the full effect amd appreciate the songs. Few AFI fans mght be disappointed bout their sound change, but I think AFI did well. And I deeply appreciate this album. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Whstripesrox, on june 18, 2004

Sound: AFI's sound is awesome. They got their own punk thing going on, unlike that retarded Blink 182. This punk is darker like grunge, but still punk. Jade Puget, the guitarist, is a much better guitarist than others like Blink 182. Jade Puget often plays barre chords, which sound much more fuller than just plain power chords. In the song, 'The Leaving Songp.2' he even finger taps the intro and fingerpicks the bridge. Now that's some versatility that people desperately in this music. The sound for this album is dark, moody, and brooding. Personally, I love this sound. // 10

Lyrics: These are some of the best lyrics I've ever seen. Davey Havok is a great singer and songwriter. He can't be touched. Five all the way. // 10

Overall Impression: I've never had any other AFI records, but I'm sure this one is the best. This albun is great. If you like punk or grunge, you need to pick this one up. The best songs are The Leaving Song, The Leaving Song p.2, Dancing Through Sunday, Girls Not Gray and Paper Airplanes. Oh, and try to find that freaky hidden track song! I love it's so deep. Like for instance Jade Puget could just leave a song the way it is, but he always finds some other little guitar bit to go with it. In my opinion he's a great guitarist. Not exactly a guitar god, but awesome among today's standards. This album is definetly worth buying. If you're sick of all this wussy punk (Blink 182) pick this album up now! // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Viscosity, on june 21, 2004

Sound: I thought this is AFI's best album yet, using different feelings in their music. At first I didn't know who AFI was but this album told me who Davey Havok, Jade Puget, Hunter Burgan, and Adam Carson are. And now whatdya know AFI has got to be one of my favorite bands with the great amount of talent that they have. Sounds Perfect. // 10

Lyrics: Davey Havok is one of the most talented singers I know. Using his voice to make it like hes 2 different people answering each other. And writing the lyrics to match the title of each and every single song, and just the skill of the lyrics matching the rest of a song piece for piece! How could you not like the lyrics as hard as they are to understand? // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of the best cds I've ever heard by a modern day band. I'd definetly buy this album again if it were stolen, lost, etc.! Personally my favorite songs are "Dancing Through Sunday" for the guitar solo etc., and "This Celluloid Dream" just for they way it sounds. And although I have no clue about how to find the hidden song I don't care. Cuz the rest of the album rocks! Like I said one of the best if not the best album I've heard by a modern day band! // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: Very dark, like harcore punk, goth, and a pinch of emo mixed into one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Sing The Sorrow are definatly Davey Havok's best yet, they are very peotic. the vocals go perfectly w/ the music. And well Davey has an amazing voice, he does everything from a low whisper to a loud scream. // 10

Overall Impression: Sing The Sorrow is not AFI's best in my opinion (that would be the Art Of Drowning) but still a great CD. The best songs are Dancing Through Sunday, The Great Disapointment, The Leaving Song (pt. 1), ...But Home Is Nowhere, and This Time Imperfect (hidden track) Definatly worth buying. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: I have been an Afi fan for a very long time, and I have to say this album is a natural progression, you could hear that AOD was slightly mellower than Black Sails and this has just followed on, it's a truly deep and meaningful album, Davey is singing his own personal sorrow, and Jade is an absolute genius guitarist. I love Black Sails but i'd say that this is it's equal, if not better for different reasons. // 10

Lyrics: Afi lyrics from Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes onwards have been dark, I read that some people said that they can't understand what he's singning about, well it's totally irrelevant as it's his own personal feelings, me personally, I can understand most of it but to understand all of it you would have to be in Davey's head anyway, or in fact in his heart because that's where all good writing comes from. // 10

Overall Impression: Sing The Sorrow is very different from Black Sails, although I think God Called In Sick Today and Clove Smoke Catharsis would've got onto it, and AOD was like the linking album, but the essence of Afi remains there, they write what's in there hearts. The best tracks on this album, in my opinion are "This Time Imperfect" and "But Home Is Nowhere" because they are two of the most genuinely emotional songs I've ever heard (I say genuinely because I believe emo rock is all just fake) and I would say definitely buy this album! // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: bender1985, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The sound is very creative. Puget of coarse would be right up there as the reason for this with his awesome guitar knowledge. Of course Davey is sweet - he has an undescrbable voice that I've never heard. There are a couple parts in this cd where he does a real quick high pitched/whining sound right be a breakdown or at the end of verse. That turned me off a lil, but I still got AFI as my favorite band. // 10

Lyrics: Davey is awesome at singing and writing too. His dark and cryptic lyrics make ya wonder what he is really about. Puget also is a sweet writer, although he was responsable for 'Girls not grey'. My least favorite AFI song of all time. All of the songs are so different in writing and style that each song brings a different experiance. // 10

Overall Impression: Not my favorite AFI CD, but it is so creative and the word that pops in my head is mature, they all have matured on this album in sound and as musicians. Ya can tell they worked hard on this CD. Go get it if not already. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2004

Sound: I own every Afi cd released to this day and I have to say that this one is definetly different. Not in a bad way though. Since their earlier cds Afi has matured and mellowed out. Since their first album "Answer That And Stay Fashionable" lead singer Davey Havok has gone from a sometimes horrible screech to a great mix of high pitched screaming and slow singing. A new changed yet Amazing sound from Afi. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this cd seem to have gotten even darker and more complex. If you listen to the chorus of "but home is nowhere..." and you understand it without reading the booklet then im very impressed. The lyrics of this album are definetly above "Black Sails" and I love them. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is great. Even with a new sound Afi still pulls of a sweet album. The most impressive songs from the album have to be "This Time Imperfect" (damn secret track), "This Celluloid Dream", "But Home Is Nowhere...", and "The Great Dissapointment" has the best lyrics. If I lost this cd I would go buy it again instantly. // 8

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: crawlingfaster, on july 12, 2004

Sound: This is a new direction for Afi, but I for one really like it. There sound is a lot heavier and less punkish, but they have great sound like always. Art of drowning just gets the edge over this one, but art of drowning is one of my favorite cds so its tough to beat. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing. The lyrics on this album are afis best in my opinion, because they are so well thought out and not just thrown together. There isnt one bit of filler on this whole album. Daveys vocals are some of the best in music today. // 10

Overall Impression: Art of drowning is my fave Afi cd, but this ranks second. It's a great cd filled with great guitar hooks and awesome vocal quality. Davey has truly mastered the whole scream sing technique (dancing through sunday, death of seasons, but home is nowhere). My favorite songs are Miseria Cantare, Leaving Song Pt 2, Dancing Through Sunday, Death Of Seasons, This Celluloid Dream, and ...But Home Is Nowhere. The secret song this time imperfect is really good too. I strongly recomend this album to anyone who likes old afi or new Afi. If I lost it I would buy it again. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: Afi definitely manages an awesome sound in this record, there's nothing in the mainstream like it and I don't really care about these punk assholes saying they sold out and stuff, don't you think that selling out involves the artist sacrificing their writing skills to please massive audiences? do you think that's what Afi is doing in Sing The Sorrow with such a heartfelt writing? Well, Jade's guitar is pretty good, even more so if you consider it's punk. But I doubt that hunter's bass parts are all that great, I mean anyone with some skill can play any song. The drums are also ok, standard punk stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the best lyrics of a modern rock band I've ever read, surpassed by few, maybe Bad Religion. And, certainly they are one with the music, though I find it hard to understand them without reading, but then again english isn't my native language. I won't mention Davey's singing, we all know he's great. // 10

Overall Impression: One thing I hate is that "Silver And Cold" and the other singles are played too much in MTV for my liking, actually when I listen to it I have considered skipping it. "Dancing Through Sunday", "Bleed Black", and "This Time Imperfect" are my favorite. There's no filler but I don't love "This Celluloid Dream" only cuz it's too generic. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2004

Sound: This album has amazing sound. I really like the the depressing/gothic feel to it. Jade Puget's guitar is just great, he doesn't rely on power chords to write his songs, giving the guitar a unique sound. Hunter's basslines and Adam's drums are good too, but I think Davey Havok has an amazing voice. I don't understand why some people don't like it. Probably my favourite singer besides Maynard James Keenan of Tool. Actually come to think of it I like them equally. Overall, the sound is great and much different from most of the stuff you hear today, such as Pop-punk bands like Blink-182. // 10

Lyrics: Davey's lyrics are amazing. I don't understand all of them, but they must mean something to him and the band. I just love the words to the songs, especially in "The Great Dissappointment," and "The Leaving Song." // 10

Overall Impression: Sing the Sorrow was the album that got me into AFI, it may not be a great one to start with, since it doesn't really sound like AFI's old CDs, but it's definitly my favourite one. Don't get me wrong, the older albums are great too, I just like their new sound much better. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about was the little techno parts such as in "Death of Seasons," but the whole album has really grown on me and everything is great to me now. Standing out tracks (in my opinion) are: "The Leaving Song" (pt. 1), "This Time Imperfect" (hidden track), "The Great Dissappointment," and "This Celluoid Dream." If I lost Sing the Sorrow, I would buy it again right away, or try to get the one that comes with the bonus dvd. This is one of my favourite albums of all time, even though I'm only 13. By the way, it has awesome album art as well. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: ashbassist, on august 13, 2004

Sound: I first started listening to Afi this past year, when the only songs I knew from them were "Girl's Not Grey" & "Silver & Cold". I figured the rest of the album couldn't be as good. I was wrong. The guitars are heavy and support the up-pitch vocals of Davey Havock. I would consider the album to be Gothic-Love or Gothic Romance, cause the album somewhat refers to death. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are full of passion, whether the song is about love or death. Davey Havock's voice mimics the heavy guitar playing leaving a great amount of space between the two, but it is still musically correct. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is like no other Afi album. It is un-compareable to any other band that I have heard so far. Songs to check out on the album are "Miseria Cantare" and "The Great Disappointment". They are heavy, melodic, and up beat. I definetly do not regret buying this album, its one of the best and I would recommend it to anyone. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is amazing. While not as hard as Art Of Drowning, it is probably better. It uses much softer guitar and vocals than on their previous albums. On songs such as The Leaving Song (one of my top five on the album) they sound like an almost different band. // 10

Lyrics: Ah, the lyrics. They are far more creative and innovative than anything Afi has done thus far. Davey's song writing is just amazing, although some songs it is difficult to tell what he's saying without the lyric sheet. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't say that I have a favorite Afi album, but I will admit that this is their best made one. The songs are a bit depressing, which is good for me, but they lack the energy of AFI older stuff. I will say that Girls Not Grey has been unfairly hated by a lot of fans. Sure it's a bit popy, but it's still a good song. If it was stolen or lost I would by again the same day. Great. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2005

Sound: The sound is different. To be honest I hate it. Yes, it's creative, and yes, it has geart lyrics, but I miss the pissed of boy who had pink toe nails and loved the people who hated him. This CD is over average in the "real world" but in my world it's the worst yet. // 2

Lyrics: I love the lyrics. I can tell Davey is growing out of the "f--k you" phase. If you listen carefully to Death Of Seasons, they say, "But this pain if f--king real!" Other than that, the lyrics are very complicating. I like that! // 10

Overall Impression: I wouldn't by this damn album again. If I could go back I wouldn't have bought it the first time. Very Proud Of Ya is the one you should get or Black Sails In The Sunset. // 2

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: kcsk8r, on may 21, 2005

Sound: To start with, yes, I love emo punk music, and this album is great for anyone who enjoys that genre. There are also some angry tones, which I love. The guitar parts are fantastic and amazing in this album, especially in The "Leaving Song, Pt. II." My favorite song, however, by far, is "Death Of Seasons." I enjoy this type of screamo music, and this song is awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are incredible. I like the screaming parts in "Death Of Seasons" as well as in "The Leaving Song, Pt. II." But there are also softer songs, like "Girl's Not Grey" and "Silver and Cold" that are equally good. Their frontman is a great singer for this genre. // 8

Overall Impression: I would definitely buy this album again. Unlike in other screamo bands (like From Autumn To Ashes in particular), instead of just full out screaming like a little girl, the singer actually screams and doesn't sound like he's just whining. I love this album, and it is definitely worth buying. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on may 08, 2006

Sound: This record blew me a way with its mixture of styles. Everything from goth to punk to industrial to a gentle acoustic balldy-type song. The main thing that impressed me about this album was that no matter what wierd style the song was in the band never missed a beat and the vocals never felt out of place. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics weren't bad at all. They were emotional but definately not whiny like emo bands. The emotion and passion in the music is real and not fake. That is something that cannot be said of many bands today. The singer is very skilled both for his vocals and for his songwriting skills. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album to death. This was the first album I have heard from AFI but I will definately go out and buy more. This is definately worth your $15. I love the mix of styles while still sounding punkish and sounding like crap (Limp Bizkit) If it were lost or stolen I would buy another copy and make up for lost time. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: Bored_Azian_92, on july 18, 2006

Sound: AFI has finally made their major label debut with this album. To tell anyone reading this the truth, I haven't heard any of AFI's old stuff but from what I've heard on this album, any album that has Jade Puget in it is bound to be good. The sound isn't pop-punk, but sort of punk rock or hardcore punk. In my opinion, Jade Puget is an awesome guitarist and is much better than most guitarists in pop-punk bands. He uses barre chords more often than most guitarists. I was completely amazed at all of the riffs and chord progressions played in this album. There wasn't anything wrong with it at all. The second song, The Leaving Song Pt.2 has an amazing intro riff. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were also awesome. The lyrics in this album are about a man who dies and is destined to never be reincarnated again because he was born under the chinese astrological sign of the rabbit (my friend told me this). Davey Havok has one of the most amazing voices I have ever heard. His voice can be soft when he wants and provide a harder, even screaming, voice. The only bad thing I have to say about the lyrics is that sometimes I can't tell what Davey is singing so I have to look it up. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best albums I have heard this year. My favorite songs are The Leaving Song Pt.2, Bleed Black, Silver and Cold, Dancing through Sunday, and Girl's Not Grey. Davey Havok doesn't really sound like anyone from any band I listen to. That's because his voice is very unique. If I lost this CD, I would go out and by it again, even during the same day I would lose it. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: afifreak616, on october 23, 2006

Sound: This CD was one of the many classics they made.The sound to me in amazing, and is very well made. AFI is a great punk band and sound amazing live and on CD. To me, AFI's sound is just great, they are such talented musicians. AFI's sound to me is so unique and can't be tried in another band because they worked so hard on their sound that when they got it, they stuck with it and it worked. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written.They actually have some meaning to them. All the songs on this CD are great. Davey has some great vocal skills. Their lyrics are some of the greatest that I heard because theyr are so melodic. The music fits in soo well with the lyrics and Jade and Davey have such great chemistry with eachother when it comes to guitar parts and lyircs. // 10

Overall Impression: Alot of the AFI fans stopped listenin to them because they didn't like Decemberunderground. Both cds are basicly the same, to me. I love AFI and always will because they are a great band in the studio and live. Sing the Sorrow to me doesnt't compare with anyother album because it is such a unique sound that not a lot of bands can get. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: RKK29573, on december 13, 2006

Sound: First off all can say is nothing. The music is something like no other. I woke up one morning and turned on fuse and saw this man with long black hair jumping and I said I have no Idea who these guys are yet but wow. Once I heard the leaving song pt 2 and I was instantly hooked on them. The album is very dark with many subject to suicide and God (in my opinion I could be wrong) I then listened to there other CDs online and though very great I must say "Sing The Sorrow" stood straight out. It is amazing. And the guitar playing is genious. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very meaningful to me aswell. There are atlest 4 songs (that I pretty sure of) that deal with suicide and religion. The album seems to me to be dark in an abnormal way. Very sad in a new way. The lyrics scream at your face in a silent room if you listen to it. These songs very easily instill hope withen if listen carefully to. As far as Davey Havok goes. O my goodness. He has reached highs like never before. He hits high notes that Iv never heard in my life. He is by far the best singer other then James Hetfield I have ever heard. And considering I love metallica and I heard of AFI 3 years ago and I still don't know whose better. Trust me it's saying something. He is amazingly talented beyound all measure. And mixing this with his writing abilities is like good on a CD. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best I've heard. I broke mine so had it burnt till I had no bills to pay and went out to buy a new one. Yes it's worth buying over and over again. As I've said the songs are amazing. As I've said the lyrics are very meaningful. I wish I could say what type of music they are but their so good they scan many. What I love: Davey's voice, guitar playing, mood, and last and most the meaning of the song. What I hate: they should've put like 25 song on it because I love it. If this was stolen or lost once again would buy it again. // 10

Sing The Sorrow Reviewed by: j-falafel, on january 31, 2011

Sound: This album is too epic for words to sum it up in one paragraph, I'm going through a track-by-track. This album was released in 2003, a follow-up to The Art of Drowning, which pretty much defined this album's sound. 01. "Miseria Cantare - The Beginning" - This was the starting track, with alot of electronic components, and it worked so well for AFI after their first experiment with electronic components appeared on their last album in 'The Despair Factor'. It's haunting, and the lyrics are trademark AFI gloomy, with a chant that makes me think of Strength Through Wounding. It's amazing. 02. "The Leaving Song Pt. II" - Again with the gloomy lyrics, which add to AFI's charm. I never got why pt. II came before pt. I, but whatever. The verse, I thought was pretty strong and when it went into the pre-chorus I knew it was bound to be somethiing big. The chorus is catchy and well written, and is very powerful. The bridge is excellent too, with more creepiness and stuff, and it overall really shows the band's talent. 03. "Bleed Black" - Perfect intro to this song, and the rest of the song is awesome too. The song is overall pretty poppy and catchy that makes you wanna head-bop, and it's pretty awesome that it's like that. The chorus really sticks with you, too, and this song pretty much re-introduced Davey's trademark yells. The bridge is kinda iffy, because it doesn't really fit with the rest of the song but they made it work and I like it. 04. "Silver And Cold" - Beautifully composed with perfect melodic riffs during the verses, and again, a chorus that sticks. The lyrics are well written too, and the bridge is soft at first, then it builds up and perfects itself with a great outro. Overall masterpiece. 05. "Dancing Through Sunday" - A little fade-in build-up to this song, like The Leaving Song Pt. II except different, and more fast-paced. This song, again, has Davey's yells in it which reminds me of Black Sails In The Sunset, but a sound that's very new to accompany it. Fast drums and guitar, and it's short and sweet. Overall a great punk song. 06. "Girl's Not Grey" - This is probably their second most known song, following Miss Murder because of it's feature on Rock Band II. Great lyrics, soft kind of gloomy style to the singing too. The guitar work is amazing, and the background vocals are perfect for a concert. 07. "Death Of Seasons" - AMAZING bass intro, that lead up to an unexpected SCREAM from Davey. First time I saw that from AFI in a LONG while. I think it was their Filth cover, Today's Lesson. A poetic chorus that talks about fallen stars maybe one too many times, but it's good for the song. Also the return of something ELSE we haven't seen since SYMAOYE, curse words :) "All of this hatred is fucking real" is one of the lines, which i didn't particularly like about the song, same with the screaming. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me, it adds emotion, something AFI knows how to express. 08. "The Great Disappointment" - I didn't like this song at first listen because of the repetitive chorus, something AFI doesn't do often. It grew on me one day while I walked alone, and I listened to it. I thought "... This song is beautiful." and it is. 09. "Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)" - This song has a poppy beat and great guitars to it, and interesting lyrics. I didn't like this song either at first but listening to it a couple times made me really appreciate it because of its incredible lyrics and gloominess despite its happyish rhythm, just like Hearts Frozen Solid. 10. "This Celluloid Dream" - Almost perfect song. I love the verses, they are epic and intense, and the chorus is incredible too. My criticism is with the bridge, where I thought he said 'Avocados up on linen' but he didn't. Also, the strange sustained vocal note at the end turned me off, but the rest is amazing. 11. "The Leaving Song" - I didn't like most of this song at first because of the folk/country-esque guitar. But it eventually won me over, that and Davey's vocals, for being so perfect. 12. "...But Home Is Nowhere/The Spoken Word/This Time Imperfect" - Now, AFI always has amazing finishes to their albums. This is hardly an exception... This is my favorite of theirs. Two hidden tracks, and all three songs are perfect. "...But Home Is Nowhere" is an incredible track with great instrumental work and lyrics, and the chorus is perfect. The spoken word part is a poem that's recited by three people and beautifully written about some sort of post-apocalypse i think. It is so sad, it's amazing. This Time Imperfect is beautiful and sad too, and it makes me almost shed a tear because of it's beauty upon hearing it. A change in the sound for AFI but a good one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album are absolutely perfectly written. This is Davey's best lyrical work out of everything AFI has done I believe. This or Black Sails In The Sunset. The lyrics don't exactly go with the music, as sometimes the rhythm is happy-poppy and the lyrics are gloomy, but that's just AFI. Davey's singing skills never cease to impress me, as he is my favorite singer, and he really knows how to sing. // 10

Overall Impression: There is no way I can compare an AFI release with someone else's material, except maybe their first two albums to other punk bands. My favorite songs are.... ALL OF THEM. I love everything about it, especially the Black Sails In The Sunset reference on the back cover! IF THIS WERE STOLEN/LOST I'D TRACK DOWN THE THIEF AND KILL THEM or if it were lost I'd scour every corner of earth for it, and if I couldn't find it yeah I'd get a new one. // 10

Comments