Very Proud Of Ya review by AFI

• Released: Jun 18, 1996
AFI: Very Proud Of Ya

Music styles used: good old punk rock and roll. The sound is sharp, with dominating bass and vocals. It sounds like they recorded each track a different day, as the levels are never the same. As a guitar player it irritated me too try and learn by listening. The bass is the driving force though so it really helps the sound. Innovations aren't frequent. The sound is pretty vicious so I'd say that stands out as innovative with this horrible music these days, and those.

The lyrics are so brutal and angry, they go perfectly with the bashing drums and sharp guitar. Davey havock was a lyrical and vocal master back then (or in his words, "SUCH A *%&!ing MASTER!" and this is the best I've heard him. The skills are shown in the bellowing and such. but back to lyrical. Davey was really mad and the rage translates into great punk lyrics.

Well it's the best punk album I've heard but I haven't heard a whole lot. It's right up there with GBH's city baby albums. And punk conneisuers, don't bitch because i didnt mention the classics from the sex pistols and the ramones and the stooges and all that. I would definitely buy this again if it was lost or stolen. I love the fact that it is amazing and brutal and simple. I hate that it's so short, 38 minutes for 20 songs. Some of the songs are really cookie cutter too, so that's... bad... I suck at writing. The best songs on the cd are probably Cult Status, Perfect Fit, Consult My lover, and This secret Ninja. Theyre all amazing though.