Rareform review by After The Burial

• Released: Jul 22, 2008
After The Burial: Rareform

The self proclaimed Twin Cities Breakdown Architects are at it again with the release of Rareform. But don't let the tagline fool you, these guys write melodies and solos like you read about. This album has some true gems that will blow you away. "Cursing Akhenaten" is the song which I truly believe should have been the intro to the album, but I can let that go. This song starts off with an haunting egyptian melody, then bursts into a doom and gloom breakdown, which is perfect for that kid you see jumping up and down before a mosh pit begins. This song has more breakdowns than you can shake a stick at. My next favorite is "Aspiration." It starts with an intro reminiscent of "Fingers Like Daggers" from "Forging a Future Self." But don't expect this to be "Fingers Like Daggers Part II." The main riff is lighter than most of their others, but it doesn't lost it's heavy aspect. The breakdown at 2:30 is one that is sure to break your neck. The only problem I have with this song is the solo, it's good until the ending where it leaves you wanting more that just the ring outs. "Berzerker" has melodies galore and a real head bobber of a breakdown. At first "The Fractal Effect" seemed way out of left feild, but you have to hold on for this one because it is a real rollercoaster of a song, especially the riff at 2:50. it's sort of a random/stupid/mind-boggling riff, but it's still amazing. I first heard this when I was driving through Downtown Chicago and it gave me a real WTF moment. "Ometh" is my favorite song solo-wise. And last but certainly not least is "A Vicious Reforming of Features." I know people are going to hate me for saying this, but if you like Meshuggah, then this is could be the song that get you into After the Burial, and the ending solo is reminiscent of a young Jason Becker (hate me for that one too). The only thing I really have a problem with sound wise is the low end on the guitars and the drums. The drums should have been recorded, instead of just a drum machine or triggers like it sounds. Everything about the drums just seems dull and faded into the background. The Snare is far too dull. I'm saying all of this and I'm a guitarist.

I must admit, at first I found the singer's voice boring. But he really does have range. I simply think he could have used it better. Maybe it was the producer that held him back or maybe he just wasn't opening up on this record. But still, the vocals went very well with the each song, esp "Cursing Akhenaten."

I truly love this album. It lets you know that technicality can mix with emotion in music (See Aspiration). The only thing I have against this album is the tone. I have a feeling that this is because of the record label (Sumerian Records). Don't get me wrong. It's a great label with great artists. But it seems like the used the same producer and engineer on this record as they did with The New Reign by Born of Osiris. Great artists that would sound incredible with a change in tone. Great guitar record.

PastaOfMuppets
    Just got this album and so far it sounds great. I liked their last one a lot but i think they have probably surpassed it with this release.
    xMikeyxMetalx
    AndyVanHalen
    Good to see a Twin Cities band getting big. This band is great although the CD falls short in the production area (everything is so flat and non-dynamic sounding and the drums were Beat Detectived to sound like a robot) but the performances are great. Could have been a little longer (just bit over 30 minutes) but overall a good album.
    xMikeyxMetalx
    yeah i just got the album, pretty damn good. These guys are awesome musicians, but i agree, It is soo much better live. I definitely like it more than FAFS
    Mcfraggins
    metal10468
    Mcfraggins wrote: Yeah, when I first heard Veil of Maya, I was like OMG DID THE FACELESS RELEASE A NEW ALBUM??? Although i have to say that After the Burial is probably the farthest from sounding like the other 3xMikeyxMetalx wrote: Yeah is it just me or do all the Sumerian bands have the same tone? The Faceless(on their new song) Veil of Maya Born of Osiris and After The Burial all sound the same tone-wise
    The guy from The Faceless, Michael Keene, actually recorded both of Veil of Maya and Born of Osiris' albums, so that could be why they sound so similiar.
    megadethdefying
    excellent album - takes some getting used to though... still not sure about the bass drum and snare tones(im not a drummer but i often listen for the tech aspects), but like the sound of the guitars and the often machine-like sounds in breakdowns. great album!
    Candillinger
    haha you mean A REALLY GOOD ONE? haha. i love this tone and also love all the *good* sumerian bands, my support goes to sumerian over any other name!!!
    Bloran
    Yeah when I first heard most of these Sumerian Bands I couldn't tell much of a difference, but that was a while ago and now I'd like to think I could spot on each individual band just at first listen. The Faceless and VEIL do sound quite similar. All incredible musicians though, ATB and BOO being the most talented I think. I really wish BOO would get goin' on another album soon. BTW 'Rareform' has expanded my mind. I've come to expect nothing but this kind of excellence from After the Burial. Their live show is also really really brutal. Really don't care for the title track or 'Vicious Reforming' but thats okay. Going to see them live again in 2 weeks! Please tell people about this band.
    think11270
    I really was impressed with this album, I have the previous one, and damn have they gotten better. The 8 string guitars are so ****ing heavy, it's awesome to listen to in a car. It's like they all learned to play like damn steve vai over night. The only thing I can thing of improving this band is changing the vocalist. He really doesn't match the style in my opinion, they could be so much heavier with some nice lows ya know. Bloran- I wish BOO would come out with a new cd soon too! I really do think they have a lot of talent, and need to hurry up and release somethign before the buzz dies. Sumerian has some great bands on their label though, for sure.
    b0rn0f0s1r1s
    theyre in the studio dude, and aspirations intro, and a vicous reforming of feature's outro are amazinggggg.
    Red989
    I know Michael Keene did all of The Faceless' stuff, Veil of Maya, and Born Of Osiris. BOO and Veil both use the same kind of amps, Randall V2s, now. The Faceless uses Line 6 Vetta 2 HD heads while I believe ATB used 5150/6505s live but I really couldn't see their stuff. They're all incredible live though haha.