Rareform review by After The Burial

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
After The Burial: Rareform

I was first linked to After The Burial a few years ago. At the time, I was in a very indifferent mood towards all things core, basically hating them for existing no-matter the actual merit of the band. I therefore hated the idea that these core kids were playing 8-string guitars, as I saw it as another gimmick. About 6 months ago, I actually went and listened to After the Burial and all my preconceptions vanished. After the Burial play a technical and almost progressive form of metal, their 8-string guitars actually being used for sonic diversity, not just added chug. One thing is for certain and that's that these guys can riff. Every song on this album contains some absolutely top notch riffs and the breakdowns are simply crushing. The intro to "Berzerker" is a prime example of what this band is all about. Technical shredding, still done tastefully, while retaining heaviness and groove. The odd time signature changes don't even feel forced and the off time Meshuggah-usque groove never feels like it was done simply to show off.

The vocals are probably the weakest part of this band. While they aren't bad, they're too dry in a lot of sections. He has his moments, the ending breakdown to "Berzerker" comes to mind and most of "Aspiration", but overall the vocals sound too claustrophobic and cramped. As much as I'm loath to recommend it, more reverb in the studio would probably help.

This is a huge step up from After the Burial's previous effort, "Forging a Future Self". The production is tighter, the riffs are stronger and the music itself has benefited from the extra time spent in the industry. After The Burial have really tried to step away from the metalcore mould that is becoming so stale in it's Autumn years and what the future holds for them will be interesting to say the least. The band's music is catchy, yet heavy. Frantic, yet melodic. Chaotic, yet constructed. Tracks like "Cursing Akenaten" and "Aspiration" really show off the band's variety of influences, from Meshuggah-usque chug patterns to melodies and harmonies that would make Muhammed Suimez sit up straight. Definitely a band to keep an eye on.

niftycakedude
    This album really suprised me. I really hate most metalcore and alot of Deathcore but this sounds pretty damn good. The riffs are pretty technical for a core band and the breakdowns sound Meshuggahesque, with out the 4/4. Lots of weird harmonies and sick solos. Seriously who harmonizes and inverted 3rd? Go Twin Cities.
    pitbull510
    xMikeyxMetalx wrote: Yeah is it just me or do all the Sumerian bands have the same tone? The Faceless(on their new song) NO! WTF are you talking about. I mean SOME of the breakdowns have a few similarities, but mostly, they're all different. Veil of Maya Born of Osiris and After The Burial all sound the same tone-wise
    suggy88
    xMikeyxMetalx wrote: Yeah is it just me or do all the Sumerian bands have the same tone? The Faceless(on their new song) Veil of Maya Born of Osiris and After The Burial all sound the same tone-wise
    I was thinking the same thing
    P1ayingW1thF1re
    The guy from the Faceless produced Veil of Maya's The Common Man's Collapse, so of course they sound alike. And I dig the sound, so it's a good thing he did.
    Fender700
    The drums on Born of Osiris, After the Burial, AND Veil of Maya's albums are programmed. They are fake studio drums, although ive seen all 3 bands live and they have incredible drummers who actually play the parts. The guitarist from the faceless recored them, and sumerian bands (at least these 3) use programmed drums
    Shakalum
    this album is god. probably, and disputably, the best guitarists in metal. and i'd be great if people started understanding that open breakdowns are showcasing bass drum talent, and not guitar chops...