Rareform review by After The Burial

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
After The Burial: Rareform

When I first heard this record, I was unimpressed, appalled and more or less disappointed. I asked myself, "why would anybody ever consider listening to this?" Well, I listened to the album over and over, getting used to it, and I can seriously say this album is among the only few 'metal' CD's I can stand. The key to liking this album is having an open mind, and avoiding musical stereotypes. Their drummer is amazing, drum machine or not. Assuming you know what a poly rhythm is, this album is the mother, father, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and children of them. Please excuse my literary cheesiness. Although this album consists of plenty of breakdowns, I wouldn't even consider ranking over half of them as 'breakdowns'. In reality, they're simply interesting heavy parts. They utilize their eight string guitars by tuning to F-sharp, thus complementing the music with unique and interesting guitar tone. This album incorporates some seriously intriguing styles, such as the 'Egyptian' style of writing in 'cursing akenaten' all the way to their hardcore roots displayed in the title track 'Rareform'. I'm not sure how they did it, but they managed to merge several music cultures, keeping their own style within the mixture, and keep heavy music interesting.

Grant in person (I've watched videos) seems like a hardcore beef head (haha). Despite his physical attributes, he is an amazing lyricist. Here's an example, taken from 'A Vicious Reforming Of Features": "Creator as Observer congruent systems collapsing mutating waveforms to become sight sound touch. A sick perception is now my only link to reality sorched eternally blistering yet I prevail. My merciless plan of creation etails seeing the unseen forge an abomination to annihilate with a cold hearted sense of compassion devastation. Thy vicious modus operandi. Observer as Creator beguiling unstable electric forms. These tools of judgment they thirst for impure. Draining a carcass devour the contaminate and filth that roams amongst us sterilizing out human forms. Shredding tissue fracturing bone. Burning synapse rewiring conscious. A brutal reforming of features a hideous cleansing of God. Self Purification achieved when what's left behind is devoid of deformations." The last line, is seriously genius in my view. His lyrics always complement the music, along with his tasteful vocal placement. It's pretty hard to make it sound as good as he does. Now, most people who listen to this album get turned off immediately, due to Grants odd vocal technique. This is where your open mind comes into play. I absolutely hated this album because of him. Despite anybody's personal taste, Grant is an awesome vocalist, incorporating many vocal styles (listen to Cursing Akenaten). His vocals sound so weird, and so different, that it makes the album what it is. His low is punchy and completely 'in your face', and his high is just plain terrifying.

Most people compare After The Burial with Veil Of Maya. Don't get me wrong, Veil Of Maya is a great band, but very much unlike After The Burial. Although they're really unique with this new album, there's definitely a ton of Meshuggah influence, especially on their last song (A Vicious Reforming Of Features). That song happens to be the most impressive on the album, as the drummer makes other drummers look stupid. When I say he's good, I don't mean super fast or anything. I mean he's very talented when it comes to poly rhythms and just being tasteful in general. I love this album in nearly every way. I'm just fairly sick of the album, as I've listened to it way too many times. There's plenty more to say about this album, but you get the gist.

sexclamation
    This album is pretty ****in sick. I don't know if anyone noticed but the solos on this album are very freeform sounding which in my opinion is ****in sick sounding. Their breakdowns do remind me of meshuggah but meshuggah is a boring band and outside of the breakdowns ATB is nothing like them. I personally think the guitar tone on this album was quite superb. Also in the breakdowns and evident in other parts of their songs, is the presence of bass which is surprising because most bands either turn down the bass to where you can't hear it or they think it sounds cleaner without it so they mix it out of the final product. And I think bass is needed for that fuller sound. The guys vocals on this album are not bad at all. His highs and lows are pretty good but his mid-range is what seems to be lacking. But he does go well with the music. I would recommend this record to anyone who is a fan of deathcore with some progressiveness to it
    Samuel Leumas
    If sumerian truly has all its band use a similar tone, then I'm sold. They may have similar tones to Veil and Faceless and Boo, but they all still retain their own individuality. Cant wait for the new shit to hit. Search for My Frailty on youtube to here the new song. Its beast.
    ESP_HORIZON
    both the chuggs and breakdowns are are a good balance to the melodic and harmonised riffs that are recording over the top giving this album depth but re-recording the album was a waste of time i would of liked new material, in saying this the improvement between the two albums was definitelt signifigant
    Justice4AllOne
    Fender700 wrote: The drums on Born of Osiris, After the Burial, AND Veil of Maya's albums are programmed. They are fake studio drums, although ive seen all 3 bands live and they have incredible drummers who actually play the parts.
    Actually, I'm friends with Lee McKinney from Born of Osiris, and the drums on both albums were actually played in the studio, on an electronic kit, triggered with Superior 2.0 (they might have used a different sampler on The New Reign, but that's what was used on A Higher Place and the new album in recording). Periphery (also on Sumerian Records) records their drums in the same way. I think the drums on Veil of Maya's CDs were recorded in a similar way, but with very lackluster triggers, as opposed to Superior 2.0. No word on The Faceless or After The Burial, however, as I haven't asked Lee or Misha about Mike's production style, although I know the drums were rerecorded between the initial release and rerelease of this album.