New Wave review by Against Me!

• Released: Jul 10, 2007
Against Me!: New Wave

I've been an Against Me! fan for a while, and I've always loved the music they make, and they always have the best lyrics. I've also always like how it isn't just Tom singing, James and Andrew do back-up, and Warren's drumming is amazing (I saw a video of him Doing White People for Peace, one handed). In "New Wave," the music isn't as aggresive as it used to be, which is different compared to earlier Against Me!

Tom has always had a way of coming up with lyrics and putting them to the music. The songs are original and easy to sing along with. On the song "Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart," Tom is dueting with Teagan, of Teagan and Sarah. I've always been of the way Tom sings, and on the record he doesn't change, so that's a plus, and the backups are great, by the way!

It compares greatly with Searching For A Former Clarity because they have their faster tempo'ed songs, and than their slower songs. My two favourite songs on the album are "Stop!," or "Thrash Unreal," mostly because of the tempo and the vocals. One of the only things I dislike about the album (besides the aggressive-ness, I can deal with that) is the amount of songs, 10, that's a little short. I already have all the songs on my computer, but if it got lost or stolen, I'd still buy another one (the special edition comes with a DVD of a set at the Key Club in December, 2006 which shows of their raw energy on stage).

ScarletSpider
    I would say that as so many bands start off with a great album and forever try to recreate it, Against Me! has done the opposite. It seems like everything has come together for New Wave. I agree that the lyrics are what makes this such an amazing album, and they should... lyrics are pretty important.
    shakosrsexy
    Against me has their own channel on kyte.tv!! It's a whole bunch of shows they produced themselves! Check it out!! www.kyte.tv/againstme
    Lyxtwing
    There is a strange paradox going on here. If after the backlash from Searching for a Former Clarity Against Me! went back to their old sound they would have had been called sell outs for changing their style back to sell more records. Instead they continued where their music is evolving to naturally and are getting drilled by people saying that it's only to sell records. That aside, in my opinion this is a step in the right direction for Against Me!. As much as I enjoy their past albums, punk is an incredibly limiting genre for all the reasons stated by those who dislike this album. They're obviously moving more into the indie crowed (the fact that they have a member of Tegan and Sarah on their album really pushes this point), and this opens the doors to playing whatever the hell they want.
    Goose183
    i became an instant fan when i heard Against Me!'s acoustic ep, Reinventing Axl Rose, and CRIME. Now if you became a major fan after hearing those albums....listening to this crap makes you think if it's really Against me! When i got this cd and first listened to it....i thought i had bought a cd by another band and i checked the cd again to make sure it was Against Me!....i then looked through the lil booklet to make sure it was Tom Gabel's Against Me!.....once i realized it was, i gave the cd to my lil cousin because i just could not believe it.....i dont care wether the cd was punk or heavy metal.....but it surely wasn't the band that i became a fan of
    drwbrks
    Against Me! are my favorite band. With that said, I'll make it known that I like New Wave. It's a good record. It's no Reinventing Axl Rose, but it's a good record. There are so many people bitching about Against Me! selling out, but these are the same people who seem to fail to understand that to be successful you can't continue down the same path for ten years. People grow up. All four members of Against Me! are either married or engaged. At some point you have to do what you feel is in the best interest of your family, even if it means going against a belief that was once held.
    AestheticGuitar
    also, i love how you can tell people apart by their grammar. the kids that want reinventing axl rose over and over again are like "omg wtf fux u up the punx muthr fukr " and the fans that accept that bands actually grow up have at least moderately proper grammar...for the most part. bands change. if the beatles wrote "please please me" over and over again, they wouldn't be the revolutionary band that they became.
    AestheticGuitar
    really? afi? really? punk isn't a sound, it's an expression. you're an idiot.
    loverofmusic77
    people that complain on blogs or watever the hell this thing is are a bunch of ****in low-lives that have nothin better to do but annoy the shit out of other people. And who cares if they are or arnt punk, if you like them thats great but if you dont, stop complaining, stop being an annoying *****, and stop being a jaded prick
    Necross
    If you hate "New Wave" Don't listen to it. If your into the older stuff, listen to it till your ears bleed. Against Me! will always do what they want, no matter what people want them to do. Why are fans expecting a new "Reinventing Axl Rose" when they already have the original?
    seventyXseven
    ElectricOrgasm wrote: Maaaaan, people need to stop comparing it to old AM and just enjoy it for what it is, they've moved past the old stuff and are forging a new soooound. I loved the DBTBD EP, it's still my favourite record ever but this new stuff has it's charm, although Animal is sort of a piece. Thrash Unreal is amazing.
    it has a charm if your into repetitive bland lyrics and guitar work that doesn't stand out whatsoever.
    ElectricOrgasm
    CavaliarEternal
    Pft whoever said this ''cant wait to pick up the new disc. "clarity" was a big improvement on "Eternal Cowboy", which was an awesome record in the first place.'' is wrong. Eternal Cowboy was amazing (althuogh reinventing was much better) and Clarity was a let down in my opinion. I might pick up this album,i'm not sure though..
    notforever89
    I must say im a bit disappointed with this record. It's good, but nothing compared to past albums. It's just not quite as intense as they used to sound- if that makes sense to anyone.
    neidnarb11890
    aperfectshot176 wrote: i have and its not punk its exactly what the title of the cd is New Wave. NOT PUNK
    Reinventing Axl Rose wasn't punk? I'm sorry, but you fail. That was an amazing punk album. Against Me!'s first EP was released on Cr***** Records, which (I believe) was started by A//Political. And it has "CRASS" right in the name. Old Against Me! was punk.
    seventyXseven
    Sneak King wrote: aperfectshot176 wrote: there nt ****inn punk there a bunch of bloody posers real punk is crass misfits old afi ramones black flag and shit like that i have yet to see against me make anything even close to punk. get it straight. i dnt kno what to call it but its not punk I take it you've never listened to the old Against Me! That is about the definition of punk. Listen to Reinventing Axel Rose or Crime and realize what an ignorant statement you just made.
    hahaha i agree with Sneak king
    Sneak King
    cerberus922
    i think that they have went completly the other way of wat the used to sing about. they have went with what their producers want and not what they and their fans want.
    cerberus922
    i think that this cd is a lot different than the rest. and not as good as the rest. they went downhill from searching for a former clarity. but i still love this band and will continue going to concerts.
    neidnarb11890
    Tuffers wrote: They've become everything they stood against.
    Yup. They are the definition of sellouts.
    icepot
    Tuffers wrote: They've become everything they stood against.
    so true.