Reinventing Axl Rose review by Against Me!

• Released: Jan 6, 2004
Against Me!: Reinventing Axl Rose

Against Me has basicly made their own genre of music for themselves. This masterpiece is full of 3 chord punk runs, and the occasional spaghetti western sounding riff, in a nutshell, this is folk-influenced hardcore punk. Extemely simple and memorable sound. This album is extremely from the just plain pissed off "Politics Of The Starving," to the meaningfull "Pints Of Guiness Make You Strong" to the mellow "8 Full Hours Of Sleep." The best way I can describe this sound is one big f--ck you to poseurtastic pop punk.

This is as lyricly driven as it could possibly be. Serious heartfelt lyrics, memorable phrases, and again, like nothing else ever heard before. Tom Gabel has quite a voice box on him. Got to love the massive choruses, it sounds like the invited all of their drunken friends over for these, and they had the time of their life recording it. Yes, quite a few songs are lead with tom just screaming his way through, but this is not metal core or hardcore or whatever the hell theyre calling it these days. I would definently compare the vocals to the raw ones of the blues greats.

I know this is an unwanted superficial review, but this is honestly a masterpiece. This band has bascily ruined music for me, nothing else can compare to them. I have owned this CD for well over a year, own it in every color of vinyl, and can play every song on it. This is basicly undilluted, sing along and model your life after, punk rock. Realizing the risk of this review being to "superficial, I'll give this a 4 because they are heading in a dangerously popy direction now.