White Crosses review by Against Me!

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jun 7, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.7 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.9 (33 votes)
Against Me!: White Crosses
4

Sound — 8
In the first moments of the new song Bamboo Bones, Against Me! vocalist Tom Gabel announces, Don't let them break youDon't let them tell you who you are. It's a fitting statement for an album that definitely doesn't necessarily seem like the obvious next creative step for an often punk-fueled band. White Crosses, the fifth studio album from Against Me!, does deliver a few anthemic punk tunes, but there's also a mish-mesh of genres that are scattered throughout the 10 tracks. Whether it's intentional or not, Against Me! is proving that they don't have to be angry or aggressive or even pen big, sing-along choruses. If we want to even throw the dangerous description that this is a band that's maturing, this would be the album that fits the bill. The title track, which is the most satisfying and vibrant on the new album, kicks off with the sound of a guitar that emulates a bagpipe. There's a very Celtic-punk feel to the entire arrangement, and the infectious song also features Against Me!'s trademark catchy choruses. Things take an interesting turn pretty much immediately after White Crosses. You may be prepared to hear a rowdy hellraiser with I Was A Teenage Anarchist, but it turns out to be quite the opposite. This is a song that reflects upon the deeds of youth with an almost serene quality. The focus is primarily on the storytelling aspect, while the fairly subdued music takes a backseat. We're Breaking Up goes even deeper into new territory with a mellowness rarely heard in the Against Me! catalog. A thick piano line, although not present in the entire song, is still a driving force every time it does pop up in the arrangement. The most surprising and daring undoubtedly is Ache With Me, however, which feels like an homage to the world of 1950's ballads. Steady strumming is broken up only by a fascinating lead guitar effect (think Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny), and it's just a startling and somewhat refreshing musical move by the Florida band. There are enough head-scratching moments like that on the album that it may cause some punk purists to get slightly uncomfortable. If you're worried that Against Me! has washed away all evidence of its past sound, you can rest assured that there are still more than a few big choruses a la New Wave. The track Because of the Shame and Spanish Moss are prime examples, with Rapid Decompression being the most energetic and in-your-face track on White Crosses. For fans of The Cure's earliest songwriting, High Pressure Low is essentially an honorable nod to Robert Smith.

Lyrics — 10
As was mentioned earlier, White Crosses revolves around the art of storytelling. This is a band that isn't just content to regurgitate the same imagery or literary devices, and that's one of the most appealing aspects to the album. From the title track's vivid scenery (Street kids collect spare change in a conch shell on the side walk; Their teeth are yellow, their hair is tangled; Their minds are vapid and they laugh wild in their depravity) to the memoir-tinged I Was A Teenage Anarchist (I was a teenage anarchist, looking for a revolution; I had the style, I had the ambition; I read all the authors, I knew the right slogans), there is nothing general or stale about the songwriting.

Overall Impression — 8
Butch Vig (Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana) is once again in the producer's seat this time around, and White Crosses' audio is predictably flawless. If you can take issue with the fact that a band has moved away from the usual Warped Tour songwriting philosophy, then White Crosses is an album that may ruffle some feathers. It certainly does stray from the band's comfort zone, but Tom Gabel and the crew do a respectable job at the undertaking. And while hearing their version of a 50's ballad or even a contemporary love song is a fascinating journey, it's usually the anthemic sing-alongs that are still the most pleasing in the bunch.

67 comments sorted by best / new / date

    GingerNate
    Anyone who thinks that bands are "selling out" because the band is progressing and evolving their musical style is completely and utterly ignorant. People that accuse bands of "selling out" need to take a look at themselves and ask one simple question: Has the musical style you have played/listened to ever changed? Because my guess is that is has. No one is ever going to listen to/play the exact same music for ever. If they are then I don't consider them an artist, because without progression there would never be the wide variety of music and genres that we have today. One last thing, I haven't heard this album, but I just want to say that no matter what it sounds like, I will always have a huge amount of respect for the guys in Against Me! because they have always pushed the boundarys of modern "punk" rock.
    free_jack54
    Craigo, their new album is appauling? why? because of Laura's Transgenerding? You shallow *******. Cant a person be happy? This new Album is solid. She did it her way, and I applaud that she was able to in todays music industry.
    Macabre Lullaby
    As far as I'm concerned, Against Me! can do no wrong. They're a quality band, and they bring that quality to whatever they do, whether it's their oldschool sound or their newer styles. I think Axl Rose was great, I think New Wave was great. So, I'm pretty pumped for White Crosses! That's my view on it. Good enough for me.
    sassamafras
    you fags need to stop over analyzing the music for the sake of creating an argument to feed your elitest egos and just enjoy the music, or don't enjoy the music. thread/
    carpplaysbass
    I've got mad respect for Against Me! no matter what. They make damn good music. The rest is irrelevant.
    Boehme64
    Beergarette wrote: Oh and by fans I meant the people who listened to their first album and so forth. They obviously have to put up with the band after they show their true colors and want to be part of the Green Dayesque mainstream flock. Bah, I probably should just stop now before I'm pointed out as "flaming". I think everyone has gotten my point by now.
    so are you saying you listened to against me since Vivida Vis? because then you're just a ****ing liar
    lobojones
    While I'm not gonna say White Crosses is amazing or if I even like it, you gotta have respect for the boys from Against Me. Gabel is still a great lyricist. The music has definitely changed but it's still well performed. I happen to think that a musician telling his fans to **** off for not allowing him to grow, explore, make mistakes and expand his creativity is pretty, ahem, punk. It's not a clothing or musical style. It's a mindset to do what you want, strive for it and to reject anyone who tells you you can't. Debating what's punk is worthless. Those are my two cents. You grow up, your interests change, things you once believed with all your heart change. A good artist will take all these things, these changes, these conflicts and put it into their art to document where they are at. All while the rest of us bitch back and forth on message boards. That's White Crosses, it's where Gabel is at right now. If you don't like it, start your own band. Commence "well, I don't have musical talent but if I did I wouldn't do what he's doing" excuses.... now.
    ronin_dude21
    LOL... Honestly nothing is better than reading a review/message board about this band, nothing. Look, let me prefice this by saying AM! is one of my all time favorite bands, they got me inspired to write/play music with heart and soul. - I've seen them in small clubs several times and had the privilage of photographing a show on stage, let me be very clear in saying no one can touch a SMALL venue Against Me! show - no one, and if you say "Band X" can - you havent seen AM! live. All that being said, to quote Stevo "it's music!"...who the **** cares?!...The people commenting on how its "wrong" to look at it as a business or to figure out a way to profit off of it are probably stupid kids who think they know what it's like and still live with mommy and daddy and don't have a job or bills for that matter. Lets imagine a pefect punk world - This great band Against Me!, tours 360 days a year, each member makes maaayyybe $20,000 a year?...now, they can't sign to a major (cause that's selling out), they can't get radio or tv coverage (also...selling out) so they have 2 options, tour for a couple more years and make little to no money allowing them to start a family, buy a house (or eat?!) all because it's not "punk"...so what do they do? Option 2; They break up and get "real jobs" due to not being able to further their lives as people...cause that's WAY more ****ing punk! Now, let's visit the evil "Sell-Out" world...Again, this band, let's call them...Against Me! released a demo that everyone loves, so much they got signed to Fat - the second(?) largest independant label, and they lost a bunch of fans because they wanted to progress as musicians and get out to more people, tour more, record more and MAYBE actually make a couple bucks at the same time? sounds pretty evil, no?...So this band tricks kids for 3 albums..they made 3 of the most solid(evil) albums Fat ever released - all still popular to this day( don't forget - evil too), so they start touring more, even had a music video (the evilest of un-punk actions - exposure)..and what happens? MORE people like them...oh man..a fan base, what're the "real" punks going to do now?!?...Then some ***** offers the band millions to come to Sire...get this: he tells the band, "we'll make sure more people hear your music, make sure you tour all over the world, you'll get to do what you love every night for as long as you want - BUT - we have to pay you enough that you don't need to work when you aren't on tour, you HAVE to sleep in a bed instead of a van. BUT most importantly, we HAVE to put you in a studio with an OK producer who will HAVE to give you options for recording that you couldn't get anywhere else, and we HAVE to sell your records in more stores than before - OH, and sorry...that whole "radio, tv" "thing"..yeah, we sort of want more people to hear your music, people who don't go to 19+ shows..like...kids...16, 17, 18...you know the age you started this band at?...Sorry...I know, we're huge *****s..but, what can you do?"...What a dick. So the evil band decided to take a path that allowed them to not tour for the rest of their lives, buy a house, have kids (that they can even provide for) and probably make enough in the next 10 years that they'll actually be able to lead a really great, happy life without missing out on anything...all because they found a way that they can LIVE on playing music... everybody who actually read this, who doesn't understand sarcasm - WAKE THE FUCK UP!!! - Take the follwing things away from everything I wrote: 1 - what you think about them, doesn't ****ing matter. 2 - you'd "sell out" just as they did if you could. 3 - Surviving on music, isn't living on music. 4 - all or nothing. 5 - It's still just music Oh...and if you don't get #4 - you don't get to judge this band...and you're not punk...only real punks'll get it...jesus...it's not punk to say you're punk, but MAN is it punk to tell band's they aren't...
    PaperSun wrote: Fans have a right to get angry after a band completely alienates a portion of their fanbase with a new "style"... How DARE a band change their sound as they wish too! If us fans don't like the way a band sounds, then it's THEIR fault for not accompanying to MY tastes!
    zeminion
    I hate when people say they sold out. How the hell did they sell out? Is it because their recordings actually sound good now? No offense, I loved all of the old albums, but I actually like it when I can actually make out every part and it not being lost in the mix. Or is it because they are exploring new sounds? A prime example of SELLING OUT would be Weezer, who completley changed their sound and lyric topics just to fit in with the market. Against me keeps doing their thing and I am damn happy they are doing so. Against Me! is my favorite band in the world. They haven't sold out, so shut the **** up.
    zink10192
    okay, what i don't think most people took note of is that in the review, they reffered to this band as "maturing," and for all of you that are claiming that Against Me! has sold out, maybe it is just that Tom Gabel is starting to grow up. He used to be an 18 year old anarchist, but now he has a family, he has responsibilities...people have changing views with age, and I personally still have so much respect for him for still speaking for himself in his writing...no matter what the message is, music is about being heard
    styxfan226
    I don't give a damn about musical politics... If I like what I hear, awesome. I completely agree that White Crosses doesn't sound like their old stuff but then again... I don't care. Bands change, get over it. IMO, white crosses was an amazing album. And btw very nicely said fenwaypunk04
    Private Eye
    sassamafras wrote: you fags need to stop over analyzing the music for the sake of creating an argument to feed your elitest egos and just enjoy the music, or don't enjoy the music. thread/
    thank you.
    PaperSun
    Fans have a right to get angry after a band completely alienates a portion of their fanbase with a new "style"...
    How DARE a band change their sound as they wish too! If us fans don't like the way a band sounds, then it's THEIR fault for not accompanying to MY tastes!
    seabassmonster
    fenwaypunk04 wrote: seabassmonster wrote: Beergarette wrote: fenwaypunk04 wrote: some people need to realize that bands will NOT care when it comes to "selling out". it's not in their interest on what's thought of them when it comes to that subject. music is a business and if you dont like the business aspect of it than im sorry for you. music is not only just a hobby for artists... it's a job. musicians have to make decisions that better themselves financially, it's a tough economy. get with it people. im sure if you guys had your own big band you would do anything to make the extra dough in your pocket to support you and your family. Funny then, that you have punk in your user name. If that's your view on music, where the hell does it end? If music is just a business and a tool for gaining money no matter the cost, then what we'll eventually end up with are advertisements for Pepsi or some other major company. It's extremely frustrating to see bands that call themselves punk and do this, since the entire punk lifestyle revolves around doing the polar opposite. @ Beergarette: Kudos u got it right @ fenwayppunk04: Way to support the death of true freedom of expression as we know it supporting the death of freedom of expression?! the bands are the ones that choose and have the RIGHT to express how their music sounds whether it has changed on their decision or kept the same to show their 'original fans' respect. it's their freedom of choice to make that decision, not you elitist assbags who think they know what's in a bands self interest when none of you know ANYTHING about the music business.
    I agree that it is their right to decide how their music sounds but what we're all forgetting is this: MUSIC IS A FORM OF ART, NOT A FUCKING INDUSTRY!! I ****ing hate anyone who considers music to be a business. Such a pursuit of money leads to a vain, shallow life as I would know from personal experiences with others. My point isn't about being able to put food on the table; it's about principles. If a band wants to change their sound, fine. I have no problem with that just as long as they personally wanted the change and not because someone else told them to do it. People who try to impose changes on these bands defile freedom of expression, and views like yours that see music as a "business" feed this violation.
    Gyoung1991
    Oh and a friendly comment on your righting. Sometimes less is more ie: "definitely doesnt necessarily seem likee"
    Gyoung1991
    fallen4nothing wrote: Thrashtastic15 wrote: Wow, and I thought the metalheads were bad... ...trust me ive had an 8 hour aruguement with a metalhead about who started metal black sabbath originated the sound if i am correct and the other kid said metallica so it was an 8 hour arguement that didnt even get resolved and even if balck sabbath didnt originate metal i was a hell of a lot closer than he was.
    You weren't arguing with a metalhead, you were arguing with a 12 yr old.
    fallen4nothing
    Thrashtastic15 wrote: Wow, and I thought the metalheads were bad...
    ...trust me ive had an 8 hour aruguement with a metalhead about who started metal black sabbath originated the sound if i am correct and the other kid said metallica so it was an 8 hour arguement that didnt even get resolved and even if balck sabbath didnt originate metal i was a hell of a lot closer than he was.
    bspence35
    Ok so I will say since searching for a former clarity came out I have never liked any of theyre albums they have put out right away. Over time the more I listen to them the more I like them. I first saw Against Me! in 2001 I was 17 and it was right around when reinventing came out, obviously they're sound has changed since then but do I think they sold out no...I feel they just grew up! Not in a bad way I feel the reason I like their albums to is because I grew up with them of course as a kid baby I'm an anarchist was my favorite song I thought that was how things should be. Now looking back on it I see how childish it all was and how stupid the idea of anarchisim is. I can be pretty sure the people posting comments of selling out can not be older than 21. It's nothing against you its that you are just not in the same place as they are there is a huge age difference/generational gap. Look at tom he is married and has someone else other than himself to take care of so its not selling out it's taking care of of your prioritys. look at rancid they claim to be nihilists but they are rolling in theyre millions of punk dollars it's not selling out it's growing up so either like their music or hate it
    MusicFiend2310
    I think the album is okay, I don't listen to it much, but go buy Gaslight Anthem's American Slang when it comes out. Every song is incredible. It's my opinion, but I think Gaslight is better than Against Me!. I think AM gets annoying easily, while, well, lets just say I've been listening to the Gaslight Anthem non stop for almost two years.
    snailstampede
    I'm listening to this album right now, and I'm actually finding it rather enjoyable. It kinda reminds me of The Gaslight Anthem and even Bruce Springsteen at times (Because of the Shame, We're Breaking Up, etc.) I think it's really good songwriting overall. The lyrics are top notch. I can see how this kind of style would agitate fans of their earlier material, but I really appreciate a wide range of music from hardcore to folk to metal to classic rock. And I always like artists and bands that change over time A couple of my favorite bands are UnderOath and He Is Legend. They sound very different from album to album, but there's a distinguishable progression in their sound. These guys have certainly evolved as musicians. I don't think they've lost their touch at all. They've just changed their sights as to what sound they'd like to accomplish. Whatever they do, it generally amounts to good music.
    metalxsymphony
    ronin_dude21 wrote: LOL... Honestly nothing is better than reading a review/message board about this band, nothing. Look, let me prefice this by saying AM! is one of my all time favorite bands, they got me inspired to write/play music with heart and soul. - I've seen them in small clubs several times and had the privilage of photographing a show on stage, let me be very clear in saying no one can touch a SMALL venue Against Me! show - no one, and if you say "Band X" can - you havent seen AM! live. All that being said, to quote Stevo "it's music!"...who the **** cares?!...The people commenting on how its "wrong" to look at it as a business or to figure out a way to profit off of it are probably stupid kids who think they know what it's like and still live with mommy and daddy and don't have a job or bills for that matter. Lets imagine a pefect punk world - This great band Against Me!, tours 360 days a year, each member makes maaayyybe $20,000 a year?...now, they can't sign to a major (cause that's selling out), they can't get radio or tv coverage (also...selling out) so they have 2 options, tour for a couple more years and make little to no money allowing them to start a family, buy a house (or eat?!) all because it's not "punk"...so what do they do? Option 2; They break up and get "real jobs" due to not being able to further their lives as people...cause that's WAY more ****ing punk! Now, let's visit the evil "Sell-Out" world...Again, this band, let's call them...Against Me! released a demo that everyone loves, so much they got signed to Fat - the second(?) largest independant label, and they lost a bunch of fans because they wanted to progress as musicians and get out to more people, tour more, record more and MAYBE actually make a couple bucks at the same time? sounds pretty evil, no?...So this band tricks kids for 3 albums..they made 3 of the most solid(evil) albums Fat ever released - all still popular to this day( don't forget - evil too), so they start touring more, even had a music video (the evilest of un-punk actions - exposure)..and what happens? MORE people like them...oh man..a fan base, what're the "real" punks going to do now?!?...Then some ***** offers the band millions to come to Sire...get this: he tells the band, "we'll make sure more people hear your music, make sure you tour all over the world, you'll get to do what you love every night for as long as you want - BUT - we have to pay you enough that you don't need to work when you aren't on tour, you HAVE to sleep in a bed instead of a van. BUT most importantly, we HAVE to put you in a studio with an OK producer who will HAVE to give you options for recording that you couldn't get anywhere else, and we HAVE to sell your records in more stores than before - OH, and sorry...that whole "radio, tv" "thing"..yeah, we sort of want more people to hear your music, people who don't go to 19+ shows..like...kids...16, 17, 18...you know the age you started this band at?...Sorry...I know, we're huge *****s..but, what can you do?"...What a dick. So the evil band decided to take a path that allowed them to not tour for the rest of their lives, buy a house, have kids (that they can even provide for) and probably make enough in the next 10 years that they'll actually be able to lead a really great, happy life without missing out on anything...all because they found a way that they can LIVE on playing music... everybody who actually read this, who doesn't understand sarcasm - WAKE THE FUCK UP!!! - Take the follwing things away from everything I wrote: 1 - what you think about them, doesn't ****ing matter. 2 - you'd "sell out" just as they did if you could. 3 - Surviving on music, isn't living on music. 4 - all or nothing. 5 - It's still just music Oh...and if you don't get #4 - you don't get to judge this band...and you're not punk...only real punks'll get it...jesus...it's not punk to say you're punk, but MAN is it punk to tell band's they aren't... PaperSun wrote: Fans have a right to get angry after a band completely alienates a portion of their fanbase with a new "style"... How DARE a band change their sound as they wish too! If us fans don't like the way a band sounds, then it's THEIR fault for not accompanying to MY tastes!
    You people talk as if you know anything about the music business...
    fallen4nothing
    Gyoung1991 wrote: fallen4nothing wrote: Thrashtastic15 wrote: Wow, and I thought the metalheads were bad... ...trust me ive had an 8 hour aruguement with a metalhead about who started metal black sabbath originated the sound if i am correct and the other kid said metallica so it was an 8 hour arguement that didnt even get resolved and even if balck sabbath didnt originate metal i was a hell of a lot closer than he was. You weren't arguing with a metalhead, you were arguing with a 12 yr old.
    i didnt like the kid in the first place but ya he acted like a 12 year old that called himself a metalhead.
    alecj72450
    I think music is a business for some people, and then art for others. And the one's who make art make better music. But, teens these days with their crappy R&B tend to like the business guys.
    Ranmanbassist18
    I find this album very well done.Although the lot of you seem that they have "sold out" im disagreeing strongly.Just because a song is catchy and different from the rest of their other songs doesn't mean a band has sold out. Bands all progress and sound different overtime because they are sick and tired of playing things that sound the exact same or they have matured over time and arent young. Looks at Blink-182 for example. The newest album is not going to sound a thing like any of their pop-rock stuff they have a while back but no one will say they sell out. You gain more fan over time and they obviously know the music changes but it still the same band and it still sounds good. White Crosses is a very well done album and i love listening to it .
    ronin_dude21
    Boehme64 wrote: Beergarette wrote: Oh and by fans I meant the people who listened to their first album and so forth. They obviously have to put up with the band after they show their true colors and want to be part of the Green Dayesque mainstream flock. Bah, I probably should just stop now before I'm pointed out as "flaming". I think everyone has gotten my point by now. so are you saying you listened to against me since Vivida Vis? because then you're just a ****ing liar
    Thank you - I responded to this post...needless to say it got flagged pretty quick as flaming...lol...This dude was 10 when Reinventing came out.
    ronin_dude21
    metalxsymphony wrote: ronin_dude21 wrote: LOL... Honestly nothing is better than reading a review/message board about this band, nothing. Look, let me prefice this by saying AM! is one of my all time favorite bands, they got me inspired to write/play music with heart and soul. - I've seen them in small clubs several times and had the privilage of photographing a show on stage, let me be very clear in saying no one can touch a SMALL venue Against Me! show - no one, and if you say "Band X" can - you havent seen AM! live. All that being said, to quote Stevo "it's music!"...who the **** cares?!...The people commenting on how its "wrong" to look at it as a business or to figure out a way to profit off of it are probably stupid kids who think they know what it's like and still live with mommy and daddy and don't have a job or bills for that matter. Lets imagine a pefect punk world - This great band Against Me!, tours 360 days a year, each member makes maaayyybe $20,000 a year?...now, they can't sign to a major (cause that's selling out), they can't get radio or tv coverage (also...selling out) so they have 2 options, tour for a couple more years and make little to no money allowing them to start a family, buy a house (or eat?!) all because it's not "punk"...so what do they do? Option 2; They break up and get "real jobs" due to not being able to further their lives as people...cause that's WAY more ****ing punk! Now, let's visit the evil "Sell-Out" world...Again, this band, let's call them...Against Me! released a demo that everyone loves, so much they got signed to Fat - the second(?) largest independant label, and they lost a bunch of fans because they wanted to progress as musicians and get out to more people, tour more, record more and MAYBE actually make a couple bucks at the same time? sounds pretty evil, no?...So this band tricks kids for 3 albums..they made 3 of the most solid(evil) albums Fat ever released - all still popular to this day( don't forget - evil too), so they start touring more, even had a music video (the evilest of un-punk actions - exposure)..and what happens? MORE people like them...oh man..a fan base, what're the "real" punks going to do now?!?...Then some ***** offers the band millions to come to Sire...get this: he tells the band, "we'll make sure more people hear your music, make sure you tour all over the world, you'll get to do what you love every night for as long as you want - BUT - we have to pay you enough that you don't need to work when you aren't on tour, you HAVE to sleep in a bed instead of a van. BUT most importantly, we HAVE to put you in a studio with an OK producer who will HAVE to give you options for recording that you couldn't get anywhere else, and we HAVE to sell your records in more stores than before - OH, and sorry...that whole "radio, tv" "thing"..yeah, we sort of want more people to hear your music, people who don't go to 19+ shows..like...kids...16, 17, 18...you know the age you started this band at?...Sorry...I know, we're huge *****s..but, what can you do?"...What a dick. So the evil band decided to take a path that allowed them to not tour for the rest of their lives, buy a house, have kids (that they can even provide for) and probably make enough in the next 10 years that they'll actually be able to lead a really great, happy life without missing out on anything...all because they found a way that they can LIVE on playing music... everybody who actually read this, who doesn't understand sarcasm - WAKE THE FUCK UP!!! - Take the follwing things away from everything I wrote: 1 - what you think about them, doesn't ****ing matter. 2 - you'd "sell out" just as they did if you could. 3 - Surviving on music, isn't living on music. 4 - all or nothing. 5 - It's still just music Oh...and if you don't get #4 - you don't get to judge this band...and you're not punk...only real punks'll get it...jesus...it's not punk to say you're punk, but MAN is it punk to tell band's they aren't... PaperSun wrote: Fans have a right to get angry after a band completely alienates a portion of their fanbase with a new "style"... How DARE a band change their sound as they wish too! If us fans don't like the way a band sounds, then it's THEIR fault for not accompanying to MY tastes! You people talk as if you know anything about the music business...
    And...you do? Am I in the music business? No - would never pretend to be either, however my job is based around business sense, which in turn is REALLY just good common sense - and I don't think what I wrote is inacurate in any way, and if you feel it is, that's totally cool and you are more than entitled to your opinion, but please save yourself the time of questioning what I do and do not know. My job revolves around analyzing business plans and figuring out ways to maximize gross profit, etc...so...again, music business, no - business - yes ...it's not that different. Thanks for coming out though...
    andrewjp123
    THANK YOU ronin_dude21. people on here actually think they are going to change the minds of everyone who disagrees with them. It's pretty hilarious going though the comments anyways. It's like they hope the band themselves will go to this page then change their musical direction just because they said so.
    seabassmonster
    alecj72450 wrote: I think music is a business for some people, and then art for others. And the one's who make art make better music. But, teens these days with their crappy R&B tend to like the business guys.
    agreed 100%. So far, i don't think anyone here gets it better than you do.
    AlexGary
    This album is kinda good. That's a surprise for me to hear songs that sound a little bit pop but didn't make Against Me! a sellout band. AM! will never forget their old stuffs. Lyrics are really awesome on the album but I understand why people dislike White Crosses. "Ache for Me" and "White Crosses" are the best of the album I think.
    eternal_Lord
    I think most people in this discussion of selling out has the wrong idea of what "selling out" actually is. Personally, I believe selling out is less about the change in sound and more about the reasoning behind the change and the way the change is handled. For example (and I should preface this by saying that I am not nor have ever been a Green Day fan) Green Day's "American Idiot" is a prime example of selling out. They changed to a more commercial sound, completely abandoning their roots...while this in itself is not un-forgivable, they forgot about their older catalogue, the songs that put them on the map in the first place and shoved American Idiot down everyones throats as the be-all and end-all of music. In the process of completely overhauling their sound, they abandoned everything that their early music was in the search for more fame, more money etc. and ultimately slapped their old selves in the face. While it is really too soon to tell if Against Me! Has sold out with White Crosses, I believe this is just a musical progression for themThe songwriting is still phenomenal, just in a different direction. I highly doubt they will forget their back-catalogue, stop playing old songs and alienate the people that made them who they are. They are more level headed than that. Sure, they have taken a complete 180 with this album, but I much prefer this to churning out the same songs with different names that bands like Nickelback do on a regular basis. Thats not being true to their craft, in much the same way that selling out is.
    fenwaypunk04
    seabassmonster wrote: Beergarette wrote: fenwaypunk04 wrote: some people need to realize that bands will NOT care when it comes to "selling out". it's not in their interest on what's thought of them when it comes to that subject. music is a business and if you dont like the business aspect of it than im sorry for you. music is not only just a hobby for artists... it's a job. musicians have to make decisions that better themselves financially, it's a tough economy. get with it people. im sure if you guys had your own big band you would do anything to make the extra dough in your pocket to support you and your family. Funny then, that you have punk in your user name. If that's your view on music, where the hell does it end? If music is just a business and a tool for gaining money no matter the cost, then what we'll eventually end up with are advertisements for Pepsi or some other major company. It's extremely frustrating to see bands that call themselves punk and do this, since the entire punk lifestyle revolves around doing the polar opposite. @ Beergarette: Kudos u got it right @ fenwayppunk04: Way to support the death of true freedom of expression as we know it
    supporting the death of freedom of expression?! the bands are the ones that choose and have the RIGHT to express how their music sounds whether it has changed on their decision or kept the same to show their 'original fans' respect. it's their freedom of choice to make that decision, not you elitist assbags who think they know what's in a bands self interest when none of you know ANYTHING about the music business.
    PaisleyWilde
    Against me! is my favorite band. This record has 10 incredibly well written rock n' roll songs. Released by any other band, this record would have been considered a classic. They put on an amazing show, write amazing songs and change album to album and manage to please a great deal of people doing it. Fukk the haters
    Craigo
    This album was appalling. Even if you thought 'eh, New Wave was okay', you're better off staying well clear.
    fenwaypunk04
    some people need to realize that bands will NOT care when it comes to "selling out". it's not in their interest on what's thought of them when it comes to that subject. music is a business and if you dont like the business aspect of it than im sorry for you. music is not only just a hobby for artists... it's a job. musicians have to make decisions that better themselves financially, it's a tough economy. get with it people. im sure if you guys had your own big band you would do anything to make the extra dough in your pocket to support you and your family.
    Spaceman_Spiff
    I dont care if they sold out or not. Their music sucks now, thats the bottom line for me. Even if they made it with genuine intent, it's still bad enough to make me cringe
    seabassmonster
    Beergarette wrote: fenwaypunk04 wrote: some people need to realize that bands will NOT care when it comes to "selling out". it's not in their interest on what's thought of them when it comes to that subject. music is a business and if you dont like the business aspect of it than im sorry for you. music is not only just a hobby for artists... it's a job. musicians have to make decisions that better themselves financially, it's a tough economy. get with it people. im sure if you guys had your own big band you would do anything to make the extra dough in your pocket to support you and your family. Funny then, that you have punk in your user name. If that's your view on music, where the hell does it end? If music is just a business and a tool for gaining money no matter the cost, then what we'll eventually end up with are advertisements for Pepsi or some other major company. It's extremely frustrating to see bands that call themselves punk and do this, since the entire punk lifestyle revolves around doing the polar opposite.
    @ Beergarette: Kudos u got it right @ fenwayppunk04: Way to support the death of true freedom of expression as we know it
    Brutalious
    espex400 wrote: against me sold out, this new album sucks
    They sucked before they sold out.
    kaptink
    If youre worried that Against Me! has washed away all evidence of its past sound, you can rest assured that there are still more than a few big choruses a la New Wave.
    But surely most people didn't like new wave because of that reason
    Private Eye
    I actually like White Crosses a lot. of course it can't touch Reinventing or even Former Clarity but it's still a decent album and it's way better than anything getting played on the radio.
    Beergarette
    fenwaypunk04 wrote: some people need to realize that bands will NOT care when it comes to "selling out". it's not in their interest on what's thought of them when it comes to that subject. music is a business and if you dont like the business aspect of it than im sorry for you. music is not only just a hobby for artists... it's a job. musicians have to make decisions that better themselves financially, it's a tough economy. get with it people. im sure if you guys had your own big band you would do anything to make the extra dough in your pocket to support you and your family.
    Funny then, that you have punk in your user name. If that's your view on music, where the hell does it end? If music is just a business and a tool for gaining money no matter the cost, then what we'll eventually end up with are advertisements for Pepsi or some other major company. It's extremely frustrating to see bands that call themselves punk and do this, since the entire punk lifestyle revolves around doing the polar opposite.
    alles7
    Private Eye wrote: I actually like White Crosses a lot. of course it can't touch Reinventing or even Former Clarity but it's still a decent album and it's way better than anything getting played on the radio.
    it is getting played on the radio!
    Craigo
    some people need to realize that bands will NOT care when it comes to "selling out". it's not in their interest on what's thought of them when it comes to that subject. music is a business and if you dont like the business aspect of it than im sorry for you. music is not only just a hobby for artists... it's a job. musicians have to make decisions that better themselves financially, it's a tough economy. get with it people. im sure if you guys had your own big band you would do anything to make the extra dough in your pocket to support you and your family.
    Aye, and they're doing well for themselves. Doesn't change the fact that their new album is appalling.
    Private Eye
    alles7 wrote: Private Eye wrote: I actually like White Crosses a lot. of course it can't touch Reinventing or even Former Clarity but it's still a decent album and it's way better than anything getting played on the radio. it is getting played on the radio!
    then that's good for radio. i never listen to it expect two local college stations every once in a while so i wouldn't know Also the whole accusing bands of "selling out" thing is dumb. give it a rest people
    SouthernPunk777
    This review was B.S., with the reviewer showing very little knowledge of Against Me! While the music is very... numbing, Tom's lyrics are his A-game. Despite cries of "sell-out" (which I can understand, but don't neccessarily agree with), AM! presses on. This is the album where their previous charasmatic drummer is absent and I think that is part of the problem; another is Tom's "f*** you" to the old fans that is "I was a Teenage Anarchist." I'd give it a 6.5 because I still think Tom's lyrics are some of the best these days, but the music has been avalanching downhill.