The Divinity Of Oceans review by Ahab

• Released: Jul 22, 2009
Ahab: The Divinity Of Oceans

As the warm, beautiful waves of Yet Another Raft Of The Medusa' wash over you, you begin to notice that Ahab have developed what appear to be feelings. Growing on what was mostly a thunderous pummelling of evil on their debut The Call Of The Wretched Sea', they've magnified the speckles of emotion by a factor of 10 and created a funeral doom album which is reminiscent of the sound of a Scandinavian doom band, at least more so than one of their native Germany. In fact small portions of The Divinity Of Oceans' don't sound like funeral doom at all; the guitar tones have been cleaned up, stopping Daniel Droste's growls from weaving into their echoing riffs and there's even an instance in Gnawing Bones' featuring pretty quick double-bass pedalling from the living breathing pun magnet that is Corny Althammer. Whilst the production doesn't allow for the crunchiest of the crunch from the guitars, the heaviness still resides over all. Ahab's songwriting style often allows vibe-mongering lead melodies to peek through from beneath the foundation of rhythm guitars and Stephan Wandernoth's bass but as expected it is when the band come together in unison to riff like kings that things get truly down and dirty. They build monumental towers of melancholy and atmosphere through rich harmony before utterly decimating it with a monstrous riff like the one in Tombstone Carousal', and it succeeds as a formula.

The main element which really helps the black cloud of grief that hangs over the album is the inclusion of clean vocals as a significant portion of all vocal parts (where Call..' only had the occasional moment). Droste's humble yet operatic voice perfectly complements the increasingly integral clean guitar passages and gives the heavy parts a wider variety of moods. I'd even go as far as to say the man's singing works so well that his growls seem weak in comparison, although that can also be attributed to the aforementioned mixing job. The lyrics remain near-indistinguishable despite this, though it is safe to assume that the album is heavily inspired by Herman Melville's Moby Dick'. The artwork (a painting by French romanticist Thodore Gricault') and the closing Nickerson's Theme' do seem to suggest the focus this time is not on the big, badass whale himself but instead some pretty tragic real events that inspired the novel. With this in mind, the sorrow found in the music digs much deeper.

The Divinity Of Oceans' is definitely a progression for the band; not so much a change of style but a change of perspective, a different angle. Whether or not it's an improvement on The Call Of The Wretched Sea' is difficult to say but despite its low tempos and length of over an hour, it does not feel like that long at all. It's a grower, and even between the beginning and end of writing this review I've come to realise that the funeral' tag is equally fitting here, through both typical genre descriptors and the overwhelmingly gloomy power the songs wield. They're certainly making their way now but I would not be surprised if Ahab became many people's gateway into funeral doom metal, as their sound relates to the Swallow The Suns of the world just as much as the Skepticisms. In any case The Divinity Of Oceans' is a great piece of work and is commendable in just about every department.

RAH7747
    Yeah! Finally the next installment of Ahab is out.. "Call of the Wretched Sea" is certainly one of the best Funeral Doom Metal albums ever, if not Doom Metal itself.. Hope "Divinity..." is as good too..
    Reviewer Pete
    RAH7747
    Please put this in the "this month in metal" edition for july.. people need to know about this band and its works..
    H_ngm_n
    Not really a big fan of extremely heavy metal, but I will listen to this band any day. They are absolutely amazing!
    Rengori
    Reviewer Pete wrote: "The lyrics remain near-indistinguishable despite this, though it is safe to assume that the album is heavily inspired by Herman Melvilles Moby Dick." It's based on the wreckage of the Essex
    Which in turn inspired Melville to write Moby Dick, so it's all good. The Essex is a pretty damn metal story too.
    severed-metal
    Ugh, only to buy the cd now. Nice review! To be honest, I haven't looked at the lyrics yet. I am just amused by the growling of the inhuman. Amazing band.
    Guardian1108
    just got this cd, its absolutely amazing!! in my opinion it is overall much more epic than call of the wretched sea
    Piscasis
    The beginning of Yet Another Raft Of Medusa reminds me of the Tristram music in Diablo.
    RAH7747
    Ok as a fore note, from where i come, Ahab CD's arent released (heck, even Opeth isn't released everywhere!).. So only means to them is the internet.. Now that that's cleared.. Does the internet version have one Japanese guy come in the middle of the songs and tell, "This is the new Ahab CD, the divinity of oceans.. You are listening to the song, [song name]"? Ok i know its a "pirated" copy, but that's pretty annoying..
    damillion
    I love this record! I find it's a bit much to listen to it from start to finish, but that comes with the genre. The songs individually are well-composed, but I feel like the mood is the real star here. I'll take a few more listens to come up with a final grade, because frankly this album deserves a bit of time. But it's looking to be either a strong eight or a decent nine.