Conviction review by Aiden

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Aiden: Conviction

Previous Aiden releases have kept me listening with powerful guitar duo, the rhythm being held down with the bass and the drums, and singing, primarily from the lead singer wiL, and screaming done by the other members. This album did not give me the adrenaline rush that the last cd, Nightmare Anatomy, gave me. The first song, The Opening Departure, opens with acoustic strumming and a sort of piano/keyboard wiL singing lines like "Close your eyes, the rain won't wash away." The album begins to pick up speed, but it still never has a part that makes want to jump up and start screaming or singing along to the CD.

If there is one up side to the cd, it's that wiL's abilities as a singing have improved drastically. He has taken vocal training, and it has made him have a very good voice. The lyrics have branched off a lot since Nightmare Anatomy (Where, you guessed it, every song was about Nightmares). There are songs dedicated to the many loved ones that have died in the past 2 years that were close to wiL, and close to the rest of the band. Since I don't really like the cd, sometimes I find myself reading the lyrics, relating to some of the things written. They still have some cliche lyrics that just gets boring, but for the majority, it's well written.

I don't like this CD. I was disapointed I spend 13$ on it. I was really excited because I saw Aiden about a year ago and they blew my mind, they were absolutely amazing live and wiL was perhaps the nicest guy from a band that I have ever met. It's a shame that this album doesn't have the same aggression that Nightmare Anatomy had. They can make a fast song without having to scream. If that was what they tried to acomplish they failed. I wouldn't buy this CD if I lost it or someone stole it. I'd laugh at the sucker that stole it.

Afi_rocker_91
    Aiden's old stuff is amazing but i still like their new stuff they changed alot but i would've been pissed if this album was the same as "nightmare anatomy". So its good they are differnt i think hes a really good singer in this though i do miss the screams and the heavier guitars .. not what i expected but oh well
    olimajor123
    Everyone is so negative about this album just because it isn't a complete carbon copy of 'Nightmare Anatomy'. People failed to realise that they have progressed their sound and are obviously fed up of singing about nightmares and the dark. I think that the lyrics on this album are brilliant as are the songs. They still have the energy that they used to they are just able to take their music to a different level to give their band more originality
    shoopdawhoop
    If their new album was they same as the old ones everyone would be like omg they are so boring and it jsut sounds the same. If they want to change then they can. If you want something different make your own band and play. Although I do prefer the older albums, this one is great oo. [:
    harpcicle
    this is why bands like this shouldnt be allowed to make music. first they ripped of the misfits and afi, then they started hanging round ville valo too much on tour and now they decide to rip off him. moment sounds exactly like killing loneliness for a start. funny coincident that the chorused misfit-esque vocals off the last two albums have disappeared now too
    martyrdood
    What happened to old aiden... this stuff is really garbage. i set my friends on fire was one of the best songs they ever wrote, the last sunrise was great with the guitars but now we go to one love and i see the video... they need to sit down, slap each other in the faces, and write some decent music, stuff that they are possible of producing and recording. -1 outta 10... this seriously sucks...
    acro_brat
    lukeshredpard wrote: Aiden is hands down the worst band I have ever heard in my entire life. I am not going to sugercoat it. They suck balls and they have no chance of not sucking balls. I am sorry. I can tolerate A7X and all that other crap but if you put in Aiden I will claw out my eye balls and shove them in my ears. Their energy never redeemed them from anything cept the fact that people might have thought they were all straight. Which is simply not the case. If I had to describe Aiden it would be AFI and Richard Simmons were cousins and they are what came out.....of Richard Simmons of course(CAN YOU SAY "CAMEL TOE"?). It is a shame that BTBAM and all the other great bands on victory have to share it with this load of shit.
    Ha!
    andrewjf
    this album is great,they finally gave up with screaming cuze they was horrible at it.so they changed to a 80's goth-ish pop-emo album like this,the lyrics are great,the guitar work is great,Wil's voice is so much better then it used to be all scatchy
    lukeshredpard
    nickel3t wrote: i loved Aiden's old stuff but when I bought this album and let it sink in I just lost respect for them...they could have done alot better.
    no, they couldnt.
    lukeshredpard
    wesleepforever4
    i just saw Aiden a month ago they still have a lot of energy on stage.
    jammyninja wrote: NemX162 wrote: Yeah, this album was Aiden turning over to more of a generic sound. I saw them live last year and I loved the energy. I wonder where that went... My thoughts exactly. Even if you didn't like their music, they at least had energy. Now....not even that redeems them.
    quietimeating
    I disagree, the energy is gone, and their new stuff sucks. I didn't mind when Avenged Sevenfold or Against Me or Alkaline Trio etc. changed their sound, but this is just ridiculous. WiL's voice isn't at all raspy or anything.
    Dave641
    Old Aiden stuff was reasonable!! They aree just trying to go too far out of the capabilities.....big dissapointment
    probly not
    old stuff, ok new stuff, pretty gay. i like teenage queen though. aiden arent that gteat. keen to see them at taste of chaos though, as people have said there good live. just hope they rewind the clocks and play the old shit.
    Slash-Owns-Me
    skippy_moogoose
    wat total garbage. and the video for the first single is a rip off of heart shaped box. if u didnt think these guys could get any worse, u were wrong
    dude, i totally agree,when I first heard them,I figured they were an ok emo/punk band,with more energy and hard core credentials than MCR by miles, but upon seeing THAT video, I just sat and stared,NOT in a good way, anton corjibin (director of heart shaped box) should sue,guess the only reason he hasnt is "all those ideas came from kurt-it was scary" (thats a direct quote,think Krist said it), seriously,lost all respect and they lost ANY trace of orginality, didnt help the song was pants either = /
    rodgab3
    man, ive seen Aiden at least 4 times live, and their old stuff is AMAZING, BUT i was REALLY dissapionted with tihs one, too many of the songs sound the same, the guitarist seem like they didnt really try this time, will's vioce got better, but thats about the only thing. kinda dissapionting, but still have an awesome live show.
    HCH15
    still amazing live but this isn't as good as nightmare or our gang's dark oath
    edibledevilboy
    wonder if their record sales would be anywhere near where they are without the dressing up...
    jammyninja