Conviction Review

Aiden: Conviction
Release Date: Aug 21, 2007
Label: Victory
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Pop/Rock, Emo
Conviction will be the springboard that will launch Aiden to become one of the biggest rock bands in 2007. Mark our word, taking the world by storm was just the beginning.
 6.5
 7.5
 5.4
Conviction Reviewed by: screamokid, on october 15, 2007

Sound: Previous Aiden releases have kept me listening with powerful guitar duo, the rhythm being held down with the bass and the drums, and singing, primarily from the lead singer wiL, and screaming done by the other members. This album did not give me the adrenaline rush that the last cd, Nightmare Anatomy, gave me. The first song, The Opening Departure, opens with acoustic strumming and a sort of piano/keyboard wiL singing lines like "Close your eyes, the rain won't wash away." The album begins to pick up speed, but it still never has a part that makes want to jump up and start screaming or singing along to the CD. // 4

Lyrics: If there is one up side to the cd, it's that wiL's abilities as a singing have improved drastically. He has taken vocal training, and it has made him have a very good voice. The lyrics have branched off a lot since Nightmare Anatomy (Where, you guessed it, every song was about Nightmares). There are songs dedicated to the many loved ones that have died in the past 2 years that were close to wiL, and close to the rest of the band. Since I don't really like the cd, sometimes I find myself reading the lyrics, relating to some of the things written. They still have some cliche lyrics that just gets boring, but for the majority, it's well written. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't like this CD. I was disapointed I spend 13$ on it. I was really excited because I saw Aiden about a year ago and they blew my mind, they were absolutely amazing live and wiL was perhaps the nicest guy from a band that I have ever met. It's a shame that this album doesn't have the same aggression that Nightmare Anatomy had. They can make a fast song without having to scream. If that was what they tried to acomplish they failed. I wouldn't buy this CD if I lost it or someone stole it. I'd laugh at the sucker that stole it. // 5

Conviction Reviewed by: andrewjf, on february 16, 2009

Sound: Aiden has changed their sound, completely. But unlike many others, I like the change. This album is definetly not like the previous releases, no fast and heavy guitar and bass riffs & drum beats, no screams from wiL or the others. This album has Jake W's guitar riffs following Nick's bass riffs, while Angel does the technical lead parts that is heard in every song, barely any hammer-on's and pull-off's, or any kind of tricky instrumental licks that Aiden fans are accustomed to. But wiL has perfected his voice, and although this album is lacking energy and adrenaline, I still can't stop listening to it because of wiL's voice. And the sound is calming, this CD always puts me in a good, positive mood. // 9

Lyrics: Aiden has stepped it up on the lyrics, and every song on this album can relate to someone's life, and that's what I love to hear from bands. Song's like "She Will Love You", "Darkness", and "Moment" are great songs to listen to if you're in love and it keeps you in the mood. Other song's like "Bliss", "Believe", and "Teenage Queen" are fun song's to just listen to. WiL's singing abilities have majorly improved, and it keeps me listening. The bonus tracks on the Best Buy version are interesting as well, both of them are about loss. "Here Lies the Waste" has a techno-like feeling to it, while "So Far Away" sounds like one of the other songs on the record. // 10

Overall Impression: Aiden is not the only band that changed their sound with bad reactions from their fans. A Static Lullaby turned off about half of their fans when "Faso Latido" was released. But I myself enjoyed that album, along with this one. I love this CD, some people like change, others do not. But "Conviction" is a great album that has great songs to listen to. One other thing that stands out the most about this album is that Aiden has completely turned their backs on screaming. But I am not complaining, I never thought their screams was any good.I love just about everything about this album, from the sound, to the lyrics, to the artwork. But it's a shame that Jake W is no longer with Aiden, and I still wonder what made him leave the band. If someone steals this CD or if I lost it, I would go out and buy another copy without trouble. // 9

Comments