Knives review by Aiden

• Released: May 11, 2009
Aiden: Knives

As soon as I got this album I realised aiden had dropped the heavier side to thier music, and decided to run with a more punk based sound. Having listened to the album through a fair few times I think it's a general better sound for Aiden, but it did take a while to grow on me. I think the absence of Jake W has taken an affect on the band, the sound isn't as full as it used to be, because wiL has to sing and play at the same time, However wiL does bring the aspects of solos to the band, which is something that has been lacking for a long time. The absence of Jake W means there are pretty much no screams on the album, taking away from aidens known sound. But as I said now the punk sound is growing on me.

The lyrics on the album tend to vary, you get good lyrics and bad lyrics. Song like Excomunicate and Let The Right One In have some good and catchy lyrics, which fit in with the music extremely well, something that hasn't been so aparent on previous albums. However the lyrics on crusifiction didn't live up to the same standard. I don't really care about the anti relgious side of them, because I myself don't believe in god. But what made me think the lyrics were terrible is the fact that they have no subtlety what so ever, I don't think "Christ died for shit, and was a f--king cunt" is good for anyone's standards, but expecially wiL's, whoose lyrics are normally a lot better than that. The lyrics of Crusifiction ruin the song with the best music. Despite some of wiL's lyrics being at a bad standard, his live singing skills have improved by a vast amount, as seen in the live DVD From Hell... With Love. So all in all there's an improvement, but the blunt lyrics of crusifiction mean I can't give this section 10.

I think this album is to the same standard as Aiden's other albums, and is probably at the same level as the best album they've done, 'Nightmare Anatomy'. The songs are a lot shorter than usual but I think this is down to the fact it's more punk based than in previous albums. The four best tracks on the album are: Let The Right One In, Excomunicate, Black Market Hell and Scavengers Of The Damned. In that order. I love the fast, punk based music, I love the solo's that have been lacking from previous aiden albums and I love how the music fits in with the lyrics, or vise versa. I hate how wiL feels he has to try and piss someone off with childish, trying to be offensive lyrics becuase that person has faith, which has probably the reason why they have lost so many fans. If It were stolen I wouldn't buy it, I'd download: Let The Right One In, Excomunicate, Scavengers Of The Damned, Black Market Hell, The Asylum and crusifiction (if there were an instrumentral version). I would used the money I saved to buy From Hell... With Love instead, just because you can apreciate aiden so much more when you've seen them live, they have so much energy, which is why I've seen them 5 time, and they haven't disapointed once.