Fractured Life review by Air Traffic

• Released: Jul 2, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Air Traffic: Fractured Life

Fractured Life, Air Traffic's debut album is a fantastic combination of fast paced pop melodies and piano ballads. The album not only showcases Chris Walls ability to produce foot tapping melodies, but the band's skill level as musicians. Many a time I have found that bands first albums showcase potential but do not feel comfortable.There is an tension behind many debut albums that fractured life does not showcase in any way. Air Traffic surpasses my expectations, playing beautiful piano melodies and throwing down killer drum beats I find they know what they are doing. While their are no musical innovations there are some great songs that will get your foot tapping. When listening to Charlotte, which made #33 on the UK charts in the year 2007 you'll find your self starting to nod and trying to catch every word that comes out of his great almost Cockney like accent. Just Abuse Me, the first song I owned by them before I purchased the album put me in a whirl wind of piano and lyrics. The piano solo is to die for and showcases Wall's ability to play.

One of the greatest thing about this band is Chris Wall's voice. The problem with many indie bands today is that they can't sing well. Air Traffic sure doesn't have to be worried about that. Wall has a smooth voice which can hit many different pitches, and his accent compliments the music extremely well. Even though the album is fantastic the lyrics are probably Air Traffics Achilles Heel. They don't seem to be able to come up with lyrics that have substance. Every song's words sound the same and leaves the listener unimpressed. The Cliche choice of words and the fact that every song is about love can get old, quickly.

Many band's have trouble overcoming the success of their debut album. I think this will be the case for Air Traffic. Even though Fractured Life shows signs of talent and great ability, I don't think Air traffic will be able to find a new sound or a new approach at the old sound. Not to say I am not looking forward to the next album, but I don't want to get the hopes up. This album would be a great purchase for someone who is in to indie music but not into the abstract sounding bands. Air Traffic Produces a great debut with some beautiful tracks but in the end it leaves you wondering if it was really that great or if the catchy melodies and cheesy lyrics played a trick on you.