Breakin' Outta Hell review by Airbourne

• Released: Sep 23, 2016
Airbourne: Breakin' Outta Hell

Australia's rock scene has been blossoming in the past few years, with recent acts like Karnivool, Wolfmother, The Vines, Tame Impala, Jet, and Warrnambool's own Airbourne. With a thunderstruck sound that will immediately recall the godfather of all Australian rock bands, AC/DC, Airbourne's raunchy, riffy tunes are massive. Their music is not at all about reinventing the wheel, and this band is four albums in with pretty much the exact same sound that established them in the first place. Brothers Joel (vocals and guitar) and Ryan (drums) O'Keeffe anchor the lineup with David Roads (rhythm guitar) and Justin Street (bass), and for a four-piece, they make an impressive amount of racket. Big and beefy classic rock riffs, hard-hitting drums, raspy vocals, intense blues solo, solid drumming and bass playing, everything about this band's sound is meant to evoke the sound of bands like AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, and Nazareth, and sits quite perfectly with modern takes on classic rock like The Darkness and Steel Panther.

While the style is definitely a throwback, it's a very solid tribute to a simpler time for rock and roll. There's not a single ballad on the album, every song buoyed by a huge riff, and it's pretty much all just simple rock tunes. Joel O'Keeffe's guitar solos are pretty typical for the style, while showing that he is a pretty adept guitarist as well. The songwriting is mostly the same formula throughout, and as such, it's hard to pick one particular highlight from the album. Closing track "It's All for Rock N' Roll" is a bit slower-paced and has some really cool sort of "Hell's Bells"-style guitar riffing. "Breakin' Outta Hell" sets the tone for the album really well as an opener with a fast-paced riff that's actually got a really heavy sound for a band tackling '70s hard rock sounds. "It's Never Too Loud for Me" is as excellent of a tribute to high-volume rock music as anyone's put out in recent memory.

YouTube preview picture

The production is every bit as simple as the music, as well. There's no filler on the album, no extra layers of ambiance, and producer Bob Marlette kept the album's sound tight and very meat-and-potatoes. It's a loud record, but it has a very clear, ballsy tone throughout. It's a very excellent-sounding record from a production standpoint, and it sounds as gritty and real as a good hard rock record should.

Much like the bands they take their influences from, the lyrical themes on this record are incredibly simple, appealing to the most basic instincts of the typical rock fan. Sex is a huge factor in some of the lyrics (especially in the band's ode to cunnilingus, "Down on You"), but many of the songs explore the extremely metaphysical realms of rocking out about rocking out. "Breakin' Outta Hell" is about as bone-head simple of a mission statement as you'll get from this band, with Joel O'Keeffe proclaiming "I ain't got nothing to lose 'cause I don't have nothin'/Until I get where I'm going I'm gonna keep runnin'/I might be insane, but I sure ain't scared/'Cause I'm a crazy motherfucker and I just don't care." "It's Never Too Loud for Me" reinforces the message that if it's too loud, you're too old! "Rivalry" is exactly what it says on the tin. "Never Been Rocked Like This" and "It's All For Rock N' Roll" are anthems that will be sure to be huge crowd-pleasers. Joel O'Keeffe's vocals sound like a crazy mix of AC/DC's Brian Johnson and Nazareth's Dan McCafferty, and are perfectly suited to this style of music.

As far as throwbacks to classic rock go, many of them can come off as being quite cheesy or overblown (not wanting to say The Darkness or anything like that... but The Darkness), and some just don't match the musical quality of their forebearers. But the only band other than Steel Panther to really take that classic hard-rock sound and make it something worth listening to is Airbourne, for making it sound so genuine. It's brazenly simple and it's definitely not going to win over people who expect their music to be something new and original, but that's not what Airbourne is about. They came for one reason, to rock as hard as humanly possible, and they do it with such conviction and authenticity on this album that it doesn't sound like a throwback at all, but rather like an album that could sit easily alongside the classic rock albums by the bands they attempt to emulate. It's not the most original album ever, but if you're looking for a high-volume record with some of the beefiest guitar sounds this side of Malcolm Young, you can't go wrong with "Breakin' Outta Hell."

fuchead
    Australia's rock scene has been blossoming in the past few years, with recent acts like Karnivool, Wolfmother, The Vines, Tame Impala, Jet, what are we back in the 2000's
    travislausch
    As I recall, a couple of those bands released new material quite recently or are in the process of releasing new material quite soon.
    Shredder666
    Is it just me or is Joel's voice changing? It sounds like he kind of has a frog in his throat when he's singing here...
    GenerationKILL
    Saw them live here in Vancouver a few weeks ago at a smaller venue called the Commodore, Joey lit the place up and sounded amazing. The show was excellent and we even had the good fortune of meeting a couple of the lads afterwards down the street at a nearby bar. Go and see them live, you won't be disappointed.
    vppark2
    I heard they're mainly a band to see live, even if you aren't so into this kind of music. I'd only really listen if I were in the mood for it tho.
    Shredder666
    Yeah I saw them in Winnipeg just after they released their second album I believe. They were electric.. Joel had the bottle of Jack in hand the whole time! I love Airbourne.. I just have been noticing changes in his voice and it's taking some getting used to.
    Nuclearcrayon
    I've been worried about his voice for some time. I've seen some live footage where he just isn't able to keep his vocals in check, even though he is giving it his all. At the end of the day, the way he sings is pretty destructive so we shouldn't be too surprised.
    Shredder666
    Yeah I was going to say.. if I belt out Stand Up For Rock N Roll, I'm almost toast. I know screaming from the gut/diaphragm instead of the throat can allow your voice to last forever, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't do that.
    JimBonJovi
    Where are the people that always say "this band keeps releasing the same album time after time..."? That's how I feel with this record. I gave it a spin but I just couldn't get into it. Their first 2 albums were a fun and groovy listen but over time, I feel like I'm listening to the same long drawn out album. It is nice to hear in today's diminishing Hard Rock scene but just not for me at the moment.
    fuchead
    hahahha yes, I totally agree, but I guess they are following in ac/dc's footsteps so yeah, what can we really expect. E A G
    RBM01991
    Hah! He's like driving a right hand drive Buick or whatever they have in Aus. I recognize shitty GM interiors anywhere. I love it.
    GenerationKILL
    "Hard rock scene" "Tame Impala"
    travislausch
    "Innerspeaker" was pretty rockin' if you ask me. Haven't heard their latest one. Anything I should know?
    Fepo
    I have seen the Boys in Wacken (Germany) Great powerful Show. I love it
    austhrax
    Quite refreshing having never really heard them apart from acdc comparisons,I love this album,got a real hard edge to it
    highvoltage2739
    I saw Airbourne in 2008 in NJ right after their first album. Honestly was the best show I've ever been too. So much energy. Their albums are all great, but if you ever want to hear some balls to the wall rock n roll, GO SEE THEM!