No Guts. No Glory. review by Airbourne

• Released: Mar 5, 2010
Airbourne: No Guts. No Glory.

Runnin' Wild, Airbourne's debut album was a smasher. It was pure rock. It was guitars, drums, bass and the absolutely scream of Joel O'Keefe's vocals. Sound Similar? Yeah sure, but this group of Aussies really got the pure rock sound well. Now, second album? If you think about it, if it works, why change it? Airbourne's second album 'No Guts. No Glory' is what every Airbourne fan would want, even more. The album itself is pure rock just like their debut album, but this one has a change that most listeners will hear. But it's not a bad thing, Airbourne in this album has become very rhythmic with their songs. When it comes to songs such as 'Blonde, Bad and Beautiful', the backing vocals aren't just yelling into the microphone, it's singing. Everything fits well and is a very smooth sound, unline 'Runnin Wild's in your face rock n roll. Now, in some cases, people won't like that. But overall the songs are well composed and have a sound which will give everyone's ear a little bit of a excitement. But of course, Airbourne's fast tempo, headbangin' songs are still in their, 'It Ain't Over 'Till It's Over' starts off with a very pleasing guitar solo by Joel, and then pumps out a quick beat which blows you away. The recording of this album is very straight forward, but that really brings out Airbourne's straight sound. Johnny K (3 Doors Down, Staind) produced this album and did a darn good job. Everything is crisp and every drum beat pumps out of my speakers. Honestly, Airbourne have put it in another gear.

With the similarities varying, If you let your friends listen the first words would most probably be "Is this AC/DC?" Or "They sound like AC/DC". But put that aside Airbourne really does get that AC/DC sound with the lyrics. Each song has one line choruses and Verses which pump out a heavy line every beat and after all that rip out a juicy solo which you make you smile. The Lyrics are very analogical. 'Bottom Of The Well' really looks at not giving up and being strong. 'I'm Breaking Through Hell, From the Bottom of the Well." These lyrics really say 'I will not die, I will make and I will strive to win.' Of course, Airbourne's sexual lust is still there. "Blonde, Bad and Beautiful' looks at, well, should I explain? Oh what the hell, the lyrics are classic Airbourne and AC/DC, and many 80's bands. "She's got the, long legs to prove it, the back end to move it." Reminisent of to me, Kiss lyrics. Kiss looked at the woman as 'Hotter than Hell' and 'Strutter'. These lyrics are so rock n roll they pretty much scream it. 'Steel Town', however, looks upon the working class man. Every Aussie would know that song 'Working Class Man' by Jimmy Barnes? These two songs have the same concept and both have very true lyrics. "I spend my whole life dealing, with not much in return. I think most average Joe in america or anywhere would relate to that line, right? Joel knows how to write a song and they mix with the music perfectly.

I say to you, Airbourne is the knight in shining armor for rock n roll. These group of pure, beer drinkin' women shaggin' Aussies know how to rock and or roll and they do it well. This album is a step up from 'Runnin' Wild', in my opinion of course. But this album is rythmic, and just has a very Kiss, and 70's AC/DC sound, and they perfect it. I understand that people will look at this and think "A group of AC/DC wannabes.' Well if that's the case mate, they're doin' a real good job of it! Rock n Roll don't get no better!