Blues In My Shoes review by Al Coffee Mcdaniel

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Al Coffee Mcdaniel: Blues In My Shoes

This album is electric blues. Unfortunately, there was nothing overly impressive about it. I'm a huge fan of blues music, and this album failed to please me as a critic. When listening, I mentally split the album up in to two halves, the first seven songs and the back seven. In the first seven, I could have sworn that I heard the same song six times. The one exception is the track 2-Headed Monstah, an acoustic track that was oddly pleasurable and will definitely get a slot in my iPod. However, the rest sounds the same, and everything has been done before. There's a certain magic when you hear the older blues musicians like Robert Johnson, Johnny Lee Hooker, and Elmore James. That magic wasn't captured here. It's true that it's hard to compare to these guys, but this album won't even come close to a classic. In the back seven, I was ready to hurl. McDaniels used a lot of cheesy '80s-ish synth sounds that definitely do not belong in blues music. I can understand if he's trying to think outside the box, and I do give him credit for trying to create something new, but sorry Al. There's a place for '80s synths, '80s music. It's good there, and there's a time and a place for everything. But... no. Just no. It doesn't work. What few points you've received have come from 2-Headed Monstah.

One thing I will give Al is his voice. It's pretty good. I liked it. However, I just don't feel it will become a classic, or ever reach an underground, let alone mainstream, audience. For the blues scene, it's halfway decent. Good job. One thing I will give Al is his voice. It's pretty good. I liked it. However, I just don't feel it will become a classic, or ever reach an underground, let alone mainstream, audience. For the blues scene, it's halfway decent. Good job.

Overall, terrible. I did not like this album, save for the one acoustic track. My advice Al: keep going with the acoustic blues. You're good at it, and if you record an album like that, I could forsee you with the ranks of Keb Mo' (and that's saying something). Not worth a buy, but download 2-Headed Monstah off of iTunes, it's worth the buck.