Jagged Little Pill review by Alanis Morissette

• Released: Jun 13, 1995
Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill

The sound of the music in this album is perfect for the mood intended in each song. In the more aggressive songs, you can feel the guitars, the drums, and the voice get more aggressive as well. In the softer songs you can hear the beautiful harmonica, nice organ,light guitars,and the soothing drum beats creating beautiful music. The most agressive song has gotta be "You Oughta Know", with the help of Dave Navarro and Flea - the music is really catchy and to-the-point.

The lyrics have got to be my favourite part of the album. They're Clever, In-Your-Face, and At Times, it catches you off guard. Such as in "You Oughta Know", where there's a line that goes:" are you thinking about me when you fuck her?" my favourite songs-lyrically, is "Hand In My Pocket" and "Ironic", where she often compares two extremes in such a clever way.

I love the fact that this album is very relatable and is probably somewhat of a "girl power" thing, and I'm not talking about the Spice Girls' kind of girl power". There's a sense of empowerement listening to this album. If you were one of the guys Alanis was singing about - you'd probably try to get the farthest away from her. (In one song, she sings: "everytime my nails go down someone's back, I hope you're feeling it. Can you feel it?") If you were just someone like me listening to the album, you'd be like "whoa, this girl has attitude. She don't take shit. She will get you if you fuck with her." That's probably not the message intended of the album, but you get the idea of that when you listen to it.

Rock_Girl91
    This album helped me through a bad breakup too. Particulary Right Through Me, that is a good song